NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Default Tony LaRussa 1978 TCMA Minor League Card

This is my first time seeing this card ... Tony LaRussa's 1978 TCMA Minor League issue. What can you tell me about this card? Were these cards heavily produced?

www.ebay.com/itm/151362315749
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Tony Ooten

I grew up in Knoxville and received this card as part of a stadium give away team set. Also contained Harold Baines and Steve Trout. There may have been one more future Major Leaguer in the set but I cant recall who.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Jason Presley

Richard Dotson was the other guy who get a small amount of success in the majors for about a decade.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Michael

This production level for this set may be relatively low. I collected minor league cards up until 2001 and this set was one of the more valuable 1978 sets. Although, its value is due more to the Harold Baines card than the LaRussa. Back in 2001, the complete 25 card set was valued at $250 (a later release with 26 cards was valued at $350). I just did a search at a major minor league card dealer and he has the complete 25 card set listed at $195. There is also a complete set on eBay for $105.

If you're interested in LaRussa, he also had a card in the 1979 Iowa Oaks minor league team set.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Some of the 1970's minor league team sets are very rare, in some instances, only a few hundred were made. Very few collectors means these sets almost never sell for book price.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Tony Ooten

After reading Mike's post, I was feeling a little low since I sold my set 5 years ago on a 7 day ebay auction and got $30 for it.

Checked recently sold auctions on ebay and see that it went for $41 dollars with a psa graded Baines about 2 weeks ago.

Tony
Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 PM
T0dd M@rcum

My favorite of those old TCMA cards is the Scott Boras.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Some of the 1970's minor league team sets are very rare, in some instances, only a few hundred were made. Very few collectors means these sets almost never sell for book price.
I'm not even sure there is a "book" value for minor league cards these days, is there? From Dec. 1988 to Dec. 1990 there was the "Minor League Monthly Price Guide." Beckett listed most minor league team sets for a while, then cut back to almost nothing. I haven't seen a Beckett in a long time and am not sure if they even list any minor league team sets anymore. SCD listed them for a while. The last time I saw a new annual SCD (2008 issue), they didn't list minor league cards issued after 1969. I think "book" would be whatever the big dealers (STB Sports, Lake Country Minor League, and Gulf Coast Minors (I'm not sure he's in business anymore)) list for.

However, eBay always has better deals. I got the Knoxville set in the late '90s for $77 - well below book at that time. Like you said, even though the production rate is low, the demand is also low. eBay points this out.

Bottom line for the LaRussa card in the OP's link, $50 is way too much for the single LaRussa card.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
My favorite of those old TCMA cards is the Scott Boras.
In the 1977 St. Petersburg Cardinals set. I think the biggest named player in that set is John Littlefield. My old data (circa 2001) has the 25-card set listed at $70.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
I'm not even sure there is a "book" value for minor league cards these days, is there? From Dec. 1988 to Dec. 1990 there was the "Minor League Monthly Price Guide." Beckett listed most minor league team sets for a while, then cut back to almost nothing. I haven't seen a Beckett in a long time and am not sure if they even list any minor league team sets anymore. SCD listed them for a while. The last time I saw a new annual SCD (2008 issue), they didn't list minor league cards issued after 1969. I think "book" would be whatever the big dealers (STB Sports, Lake Country Minor League, and Gulf Coast Minors (I'm not sure he's in business anymore)) list for.

However, eBay always has better deals. I got the Knoxville set in the late '90s for $77 - well below book at that time. Like you said, even though the production rate is low, the demand is also low. eBay points this out.

Bottom line for the LaRussa card in the OP's link, $50 is way too much for the single LaRussa card.
The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards lists prices for team sets not individual cards. I don't trust the prices 100% but as a guideline its ok.

BTW, my 2010 book lists the 1978 Knoxville set at $100
Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Tony Ooten

This thread brought back some fond memories of Bill Meyer Stadium in Knoxville.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/knox/meyer.htm

The only time I ever saw that place packed was when the San Diego Chicken came to town. (He was hilarious by the way) that was in my high school years so probably 80, 81, 82 ish.

Around those years my friends and I would show up around the 7th inning, walk in free and catch the last part of the game.

Of course in my college years spent quite a few evenings there at nickel beer night - do I remember that correctly? 5 cents for a beer? It must've been dollar beer.....
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Michael

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards lists prices for team sets not individual cards. I don't trust the prices 100% but as a guideline its ok.
Jim, thanks for the info - I think. I found SCD pages online with the minor league prices. Most of the set values that I checked have dropped since I last saw them. Kind of what I expected, but did not really want to know.