NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Larry More.y

Default Toughest "regular" issued set from the 1970s??

Amazing....a 71 OPC baseball set offered by H & S closed last evening with a final hammer price of $10K. For a regular issued (albeit a low print run distributed in a different country) mid grade set from the 70s this is absolutely amazing.

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-...=271&lotno=313

While there may have been other offerings for this set (or near set) more recently, the last offering I remember was through PWCC a while back that closed for less than $1800 (I regretted not bidding, big time).

http://www.pwccauctions.com/item.php?item_no=978408

Obviously the key to this set are the last two series....the last two series of this set are the toughest I have ever tried to collect.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Love the set; 71 is my favorite set from my childhood and the OPC back design is much better than the Topps design. I've been collecting single cards for a while. I pay probably 2x-5x what I would pay for a Topps in comparable condition.

That set had a lot of really nice keys. Given the smaller pop, lower quality OPC cardboard, rough edges and crappy centering that plagues the issue, I'd not call that a midgrade set. I'm pleased if the card is crease-free and looks ex-ish. Still, amazing price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-10-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM

Early 70's OPC are a lot harder than early 70's Topps.

And as Adam stated the 71 OPC backs are mostly different, and in yellow, so it is almost a different set.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Tom Boblitt

O-Pee-Chee is en fuego right now. Especially 1960's and 1970's. The later stuff is easier to come by. Have seen a lot of complete sets selling. Guess the prices are bringing it out of the woodwork. Missed out on a NRMT 1976 O-Pee-Chee set at the National by a HAIR. Not a huge dollar set but at the price ($60) it was MORE than a bargain. Like everyone else, really like the 1971's. I have a Ryan and that's about it other than maybe some commons lying around somewhere.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
O-Pee-Chee is en fuego right now. Especially 1960's and 1970's. The later stuff is easier to come by. Have seen a lot of complete sets selling. Guess the prices are bringing it out of the woodwork. Missed out on a NRMT 1976 O-Pee-Chee set at the National by a HAIR. Not a huge dollar set but at the price ($60) it was MORE than a bargain. Like everyone else, really like the 1971's. I have a Ryan and that's about it other than maybe some commons lying around somewhere.
That is good to know. A while back by dad was buying up any and all OPC he could find because he knew they were rarer but lower in price. He then got out of collecting and sold most everything but kept the OPCs and was recently going to get rid of them but I took them. I don't know what all there was but now I will have to check them out.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I have a box (couple hundred?) of 1970 OPC cards with a bunch of stars. Wonder if I should look to complete it?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 PM
R!CK LYON$

We had this same topic a few months back in OBC and we came up with 71 OPC as probably the toughest set in the 70's. Great set finished it a few years ago and the SP's then we're getting tough to get. Hate to do it now but rewarding and would recommend it to someone who wants a challenge. The 70 set is very easy to complete no SP's and all cards seem to be the same distribution level. Rick
Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Tom

How much does a 1970 OPC set go for?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Was Talking 1973 OPC Schmidt Rookies with a Fellow board member this week and was shocked to see over 1,100 PSA 8 Topps Schmidt but less than 70 PSA 8 O-Pee-Chee Schmidt Rookies. Rarity dose not always equal value and OPC and Topps Rookies continue to trade in same range even in these high grades. The 71 Yellow Backs with the picture popping out is one of the all time great backs for sure.

J
Old 04-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Larry More.y

I think you guys are all spot on about these OPC's....I have kicked myself even harder about not bidding on that 71 OPC near set from a year ago. While there maybe a limited supply of OPCs, as compared to their Topps counterpart, the lack of demand has likely kept prices on many OPC sets, singles, etc down.

With the 62 GT and 68 MB cards, before the demand for these cards grew significantly in the past year or two, like the OPC cards, these two short printed offerings could be purchased fairly inexpensively due to a lack of demand.

I have been, and still am working on my 65-80 OPC sets for years, so I can only hope the demand does not explode on these cards until I am completed.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Prices are all over the place on OPC. I have snapped up some at very low cost lately.

I have some crispy 78s at the slabbers. Hopefully I will be selling into a strong market.

Or not...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

love both 71 topps and opc, but have to concur...opc is way more difficult to track down in mid-high grade, but this does not always translate to higher prices.

here's my crown of the 71 opc:

Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Matt

Great looking Ryan. That 71 Ryan card has always been so striking to me. The 71 OPC back is quite unique.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

thanks matty! picked her up about a year ago along w/ an 8.5 topps and the opc was 65% of the cost of the topps even though significantly rarer.

8.5 opc = pop 5, 9 higher
8.5 topps = pop 15, 27 higher
Old 04-11-2015, 02:46 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
love both 71 topps and opc, but have to concur...opc is way more difficult to track down in mid-high grade, but this does not always translate to higher prices.

here's my crown of the 71 opc:

That is one beautiful looking Ryan. The eye-appeal rocks it. My one and only 71 OPC card is this Bench. I'm glad a fellow board member convinced me to get it.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
That is one beautiful looking Ryan. The eye-appeal rocks it. My one and only 71 OPC card is this Bench. I'm glad a fellow board member convinced me to get it.
thanks jb!

good looking bench and looks worthy of a bump!! lemme know if you ever do and what the result is...
Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Matt

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as Begsu. That Bench would certainly look right at home in an 8.5 and I've seen worse 9s often. But every card JB has looks undergraded!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Were there any OPC fronts or pictures that were different than Topps in 71, other than this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brunett opc.jpg (44.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg brunettt tpos.jpg (37.1 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 PM

The 1971 OPC Hoyt Wilhelm has that trade line on the front of his card as well . Sorry can't post a picture for you . Speaking of 1971 what about the Greatest Moments set ? It doesn't compare to the OPC I'm sure but that's a tough one to come by as well in high grade . Brett
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Matt

The 1971 Greatest Moments Set is pretty cool. I was window shopping yesterday and saw that in Heritage's insane imminent auction, they have a complete set for sale. Honestly, that auction might be the most diesel auction I can remember. Just sheer overload browsing it. So many things to read about and want to buy!

Last edited by MattyC; 04-11-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:52 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as Begsu. That Bench would certainly look right at home in an 8.5 and I've seen worse 9s often. But every card JB has looks undergraded!
Thanks for the feedback Matt and begsu1013. I never considered going for a bump with this card but I might just give it a shot based on the input from the both of you. The 71 Topps set is one of my all-time favorite sets.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Were there any OPC fronts or pictures that were different than Topps in 71, other than this one?
Here are a few other 71 OPC with different fronts that come to mind...Staub (#289 is shown, replacing the WS team) is also on card 560 in the OPC set with the same front as it's Topps version. The 77 OPC set has numerous poses that are different from it's Topps counterpart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 opc hunt.jpg (73.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 71 hunt.jpg (8.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 71 opc 144.jpg (75.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg topps 144.JPG (36.3 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 71 OPC STAUB.jpg (77.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Lots of love here for the 71 OPCs. Count me in for more love for that great set.

Given the thread title, toughest 70s set, and all of the posts about 1971 OPCs; I am really surprised that no one has written about the 1974 OPCs. Although the 74s do not have the tough to find in higher grade factor like the 71s do, I feel that 74s are more scarce. The 74s just seem harder to find. I know that the 74 Topps set doesn't usually make many collectors' top ten lists, but I feel that the OPC version should be more sought after. Similar to the 71s, the 74 OPCs have a bright yellow back that is very attractive. I also like the different layout Hank Aaron special cards in the OPC version. I think it is a great set.

Getting back to 70s OPCs in general, I actually like the rough cuts on the softer OPC card stock. In hand, you can really see and feel the difference vs. regular issue Topps card stock. To me, it reminds me of the softer, whiter stock used in some series of 1959 Topps...and lots of rough cuts. The soft card stock on 70s OPCs cards is my main factor why high grade OPCs should be more valuable. Soft card stock means that the card is more easily damaged. I understand that demand sets the price, but average found condition should be factored in. For example, Begsu's 71 OPC Ryan posted above - that would be a super condition card for a Topps version, but being OPC, that card is outstanding. That OPC Bench which was shared is also ridiculously nice. Any one have a centered #100 OPC Pete Rose to share? Does one exist?

I also like the color of the OPC cards. The white(r) stock really makes the colors on the fronts of the cards pop. Regular issue Topps cards sometimes look hue muted or dull next to the bright OPCs. Love the color.

I am happy to read of 1970s OPC getting some good attention here.

Last edited by horzverti; 04-11-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-12-2015, 12:01 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

It's funny...OPC must be a regional thing when it comes to popularity. Growing up 45 minutes south of the Canada border here north of Seattle, OPC cards in the 70's were fairly common with my school buddies. The difference? We HATED OPC cards. I can't really say why, there wasn't any dislike for anything Canadian, but we routinely threw them away or tried in vain to trade for something else. I remember having a 71 OPC Hank Aaron card when I was around 9 or 10, so 1979 or 80ish, back when owning an Aaron was a BIG deal...and my buddies wouldn't let me count it as actually having an Aaron card because it was OPC.

I still have a little of that in me. When I put together my 68 Topps set a couple years ago, my first lot came with a dozen or so OPCs. I immediately replaced them...the kid inside me said they didn't count...haha...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Scott Ti3k

74 OPC is very very tough! From what I understand a strike by the factory workers lead to a very limited production run that year.
Putting together my OPC Cardinals team sets 1974 has def. been the most difficult. While you do have the condition issues with the 1971 OPC I found them much easier to find than the 74s.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
It's funny...OPC must be a regional thing when it comes to popularity. Growing up 45 minutes south of the Canada border here north of Seattle, OPC cards in the 70's were fairly common with my school buddies. The difference? We HATED OPC cards. I can't really say why, there wasn't any dislike for anything Canadian, but we routinely threw them away or tried in vain to trade for something else. I remember having a 71 OPC Hank Aaron card when I was around 9 or 10, so 1979 or 80ish, back when owning an Aaron was a BIG deal...and my buddies wouldn't let me count it as actually having an Aaron card because it was OPC.

I still have a little of that in me. When I put together my 68 Topps set a couple years ago, my first lot came with a dozen or so OPCs. I immediately replaced them...the kid inside me said they didn't count...haha...
That is a great story! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post

There was always a little bleed through along the Northern border with Topps cards but I never realized it also went the other way. On Long Island, no OPC back then, that's for sure.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Matt

It was the same growing up in NYC. We rarely saw an OPC card and when they did surface, they were discarded. We wanted Topps. That said, I can totally appreciate how tough they must be to find for those who love them.

In terms of toughest overall set in the 70's, my votes would be 71 and 75 minis. The centering and tilts on the minis are just brutal, not to mention full color corners.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

OPCs were always interesting to me.

My parents took a trip to Nova Scotia in 78 and brought back a pack or two. Then we took a mostly camping trip across the country with a couple diversions into Canada in 79.

I bought a whole box early in the trip, and managed to not wreck them on the way.

But in the Canadian part of Glacier national park the gift shop had cards! But......they were 78's. When I asked if they had the new ones they pointed at the box of 78's. When I told them those were from last year they got a confused look and said they had only gotten them the week before.

So distribution might have been a bit "unusual" for OPC.

Steve B
Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
There was always a little bleed through along the Northern border with Topps cards but I never realized it also went the other way. On Long Island, no OPC back then, that's for sure.
Yes...we bought OPC cards in packs in the 70's in Arlington, WA...that is about 40 miles south of the border. We used to yell at our mom when she brought packs home from that convenience store and not from the "big" supermarket that carried Topps. As you went north it was more OPC than Topps, especially near Bellingham.

Steve B...that is super weird, as we had the SAME experience. That same mom and pop in Arlington store late in 1979 got a shipment of 1978 OPC cards. Mom came home with a pack, we were shocked. We did send her back to the store and she brought home two boxes, she said it was all they had. Getting 78's in 79 to us was cool, even if they were OPC. My childhood 78 set is still littered with OPC with the cards I couldn't trade out, haha. With two stories like this I bet they had a surplus on 78s and forced them out to retailers.

With all that said, I am with Matty...seeing some of the OPC cards are now pretty cool and the fact others are passionate about them is neat...especially considering they are more rare. Those 71's actually do POP with that yellow.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-12-2015, 09:59 PM

1970s Topps Baseball cards are about as exciting to me as a pair of wet socks. I really, really like OPC for many reasons.

1.) The bright card stock is superior and the rough cut has that certain charm.
2.) Has interesting "traded" lines with different team/color designs.
3.) Printed at most at 10% of the mainstream Topps issue and priced comparably.....very undervalued.

The "sunburst" action/photo reverses of the 1971 OPC set absolutely blow away the American issue.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Perhaps the most famous OPC card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972-OPC-Hodges-212x300.jpg (23.2 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Here is a good blog about the 1971 variations - http://ohmyopc.blogspot.com/search/label/1971
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

When I lived in NY [birth-1977] I never saw an OPC card. The first ones I saw [in 1979] were 1971s that belonged to a friend in SoCal. He moved from Boston and got them in MA. So I guess there was some OPC penetration into New England.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-15-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Marty

As I have probably rambled about in other posts, growing up an hour south of Niagara Falls, I am fortunate enough to have great memories of OPC baseball cards I bought on cross border excursions. Things I loved and still remember -

The gum was much better than the Topps gum! I went through an old storage box and found a stack of OPC wrappers from the late 70s, and when I flipped through them, I could still smell the gum! Might not have been Doc Brown's Delorean, but I was truly in a time machine for a few moments!

They were cool and unique, especially the ones with both English and French on them - always loved issues that were different!

The 1974 Hank Aaron Specials with only two cards pictured on each!

And the edges! Some look like they were cut with blades duller than a year old razor!

Always stunning to me that people didn't love them as much as I did. One time I talked with my friend's son in the 90s, who collected cards, and was surprised to hear that he and his friends joked about OPCs as poor knockoffs. Made me feel bad for my old cardboard friends!

Last edited by laughlinfan; 04-15-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM

I got back into collecting around 2000. and started with my birthyear set of 1972. Shortly thereafter, I added 69-79. I had a blast working on those sets. About five years ago, I decided that I would work on the OPC sets, figuring I would have another great time putting these sets together, and giving me another opportunity to pick up some classic vintage cards. Nobody told me how difficult it was going to be to work on these sets. I am having a blast, but it has been a slow process. And I will agree with some earlier posts about the 1974 OPC set. Without a doubt, a difficult set to build. I love those Aaron specials from 74. Very cool. And I have always enjoyed seeing the differences between the Topps issue and the OPC issue. The backs of the 1971 and 74 sets really stand out. Overall, from 65-80, I am having a good time working on these sets.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
When I lived in NY [birth-1977] I never saw an OPC card. The first ones I saw [in 1979] were 1971s that belonged to a friend in SoCal. He moved from Boston and got them in MA. So I guess there was some OPC penetration into New England.
Adam, typo or did you have a friend that collected cards when you were 2?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Birth-1977 = birth to 1977, not Birth = 1977.

Or not...
Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Al Richter

Default Adam

I have seen him. I am older than him ,but he is not that young
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm not even 50; i just look old. All the card groupies just wear me out.

Or not...
Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Todd Schultz

Adam's not that old, he's just been around a long time. I have an early edition of his boxing card price guide that he graciously inscribed for me at time of purchase-- I would scan and show it but I'm afraid of damaging the papyrus and scroll. It's still handier than the chiseled stone tablet First Edition though.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Al Richter

Default Auto

Todd -- Did he provide a COA ? Did PSA slab it as authentic ?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Slab this...

Or not...