NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Dan Paradis

Default N172 OJ's / A&G .... down 50%

I seem to remember when I first starting buying OJ / A&G HOF RC's about 4-5 years ago just about any card was around $1,000. Maybe I overpaid (no surprise) but it seems these same cards are going for $500 (or less) today. I'm talking about SGC Auth or SGC10-20's.

I'm not complaining, cards like Hamilton, Rusie and McPhee which used to be $3-4K are less than $2k now.

Have any other cards dropped 50% over that time period?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default many of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I seem to remember when I first starting buying OJ / A&G HOF RC's about 4-5 years ago just about any card was around $1,000. Maybe I overpaid (no surprise) but it seems these same cards are going for $500 (or less) today. I'm talking about SGC Auth or SGC10-20's.

I'm not complaining, cards like Hamilton, Rusie and McPhee which used to be $3-4K are less than $2k now.

Have any other cards dropped 50% over that time period?
IN my recent experience many caramel cards in average grade and many bread cards in average grade *(some high grade too) are down more than 50% from 4-6 yrs ago. I sold a bread card for 7k about 4 yrs ago, bought it back last year for about 2k......and that is not an isolated example. Old inventory is a losing proposition.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
R Dixon

Default .

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but with the exception of really rare cards, I pretty much disregard sales history from 2008 back.....
Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
edward broeth

that would explain a few things...

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Ken Wirt

Wish the same could be said for Negro League HOFers!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Leon's right caramels were absolutely crushed. I started collecting in 2006 and stopped in 2007 because it was too damn expensive. I collect now and can't believe the stuff I get on sale.

BTW, e95's have been crushed! Especially low grade commons. I believe a vg example sold around $50 last week and I sold a good one a few years ago for around $75. Insane.

Nadja "world champion" overprints are down significantly as well.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Default Caramels are a mixed bag

SOME caramels, not all. E94s continue to hold their prices and the HOFers and popular cards like Cicotte continue to climb. I agree E95s and 96s have slipped quite a bit but E97s are still strong as are E98s. Early Zeenuts (1911, 1912, 1914 and 1918) continue to be strong and higher grade early Zeenuts have doubled in price instead of fallen. E93s in general have fallen but higher grade E93s continue to fetch solid prices. E99s and 100s have really tumbled and I have no idea why, given their scarcity.
I also agree on Old Judge N172s. Now is a great time to buy and even though I don't really collect them, I have picked up many at very reasonable prices lately, half of what they went for a couple of years ago.

Last edited by tbob; 07-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
SOME caramels, not all. E94s continue to hold their prices and the HOFers and popular cards like Cicotte continue to climb. I agree E95s and 96s have slipped quite a bit but E97s are still strong as are E98s. Early Zeenuts (1911, 1912, 1914 and 1918) continue to be strong and higher grade early Zeenuts have doubled in price instead of fallen. E93s in general have fallen but higher grade E93s continue to fetch solid prices. E99s and 100s have really tumbled and I have no idea why, given their scarcity.
I also agree on Old Judge N172s. Now is a great time to buy and even though I don't really collect them, I have picked up many at very reasonable prices lately, half of what they went for a couple of years ago.
Absolutely right. It's almost like there is organized chaos in vintage. Some things are way down some issues are way up (Broadleaf!!!). There is the prolonged dip in the market that is giving a lot of people a great time to build sets and collections. Hopefully this lasts for a few more years.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Default old judge

hello all,

even seems like more available....i mean the amount on ebay.... i noticed a dip in ojs, but i love em

fagetabout tuf t206 backs....HOY VEY!!! they are just tripling by the year!!

my 2 cents....
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default More OJs

Dan:

Being almost exclusively an OJ collector these days, I watch them pretty closely. I would agree that the prices of commons have fallen off substantially over the last couple of years. The only thing that has fallen more dramatically has been the availability of items on my want list!

But I will take as many Hamiltons, Rusies and McPhees as I can find priced under $2K. That just isn't happening.

Kevin
Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I second Kevin's sentiments. The tougher cards, HOFers and non-HOFers alike, together with higher grade, nice image, cards remain very strong, at all time highs. The lower grade and common subjects have suffered.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM

I just wanted to:
a) agree with Kevin and Joe
b) offer to buy any McPhee's Kevin doesnt for 2k or less

Last edited by z28jd; 07-21-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
I second Kevin's sentiments. The tougher cards, HOFers and non-HOFers alike, together with higher grade, nice image, cards remain very strong, at all time highs. The lower grade and common subjects have suffered.
Rare and significant, in the best condition you can find or afford, tends to lead the way in any collecting endeavor. Just my two cents!

Great collecting, guys,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-21-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Dan:

Being almost exclusively an OJ collector these days, I watch them pretty closely. I would agree that the prices of commons have fallen off substantially over the last couple of years. The only thing that has fallen more dramatically has been the availability of items on my want list!

But I will take as many Hamiltons, Rusies and McPhees as I can find priced under $2K. That just isn't happening.

Kevin
Kevin, in the last 4 months:
3/8 McPhee $1,990 SGC Auth ebay
Feb - Rusie (raw) $1050 on ebay (re-sold)
4/4 Rusie raw SGC Auth (better image then the ebay) --> $1500 from N54
June - Hamilton PSA5 (nice, but light image) $1800 from N54

All for under $2k. I remember seeing posts on N54 that these cards used to go for $4-$5k.

I had been trying to buy these 3 cards for 5 years, then within 3 months I find all three cards (weird)!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Clarification

Clearly, as you have pointed out, it is possible to buy cards of those players for the prices you have listed. I should have been more clear in my statement.

Rebacked cards and cards with poor images have always been more reasonably priced. Those cards will have dropped proportioniately over the last couple of years as well as compared to their counterparts in original condition and/or with better images.

McPhee is probably the best example since he was the last Old Judge player to make the Hall of Fame. His card prices spiked considerably immediately after his enshrinement. "Decent" cards of his were bringing in prices of $5000 - $7000 as collectors (especially those of HOF players) grabbed up examples for their collections. Those same cards today would go for considerably less than they did then since "the honeymoon is over" for those prices.

But I still firmly believe that a McPhee card with a decent image (I don't care what the technical grade may be), cannot be had for less than $3000 unless it's an extraordinary circumstance.