NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Jay Shelton

Default Hostess Baseball Cards

I have a fondness for the Hostess baseball cards during the years 1977-79, mostly because my mother was very supportive and purchased said product (Ding Dongs, Cup Cakes, etc.) for the three panel baseball cards on the back. I would always search for boxes that contained Padres players, and in the case of Twinkies (which I never liked), I would force myself to eat them for the cards.

I've noticed a few things, mostly on eBay, about the Hostess cards:

1. They are fairly inexpensive
2. Seemingly there is a desire more for the back panel that contains three uncut cards. So, do collectors generally cut them out themselves once they've obtained an uncut panel, or leave them on the panel intact?
2. The fact that they were designed to be cut out from the bottom of the product box is a quandary to me. I don't collect graded cards, but I have noticed that PSA grades the Hostess cards as "Hand Cut" and assigns them a "regular" PSA numerical grade (6, 7, 8, etc.) and condition. In the same vein, I have seen other cards (pre-war, post-war) cut from packages or product (non-Hostess) graded as "Authentic" because they had been cut. This is kind of confusing for me.

Heck, when I was a kid, I would carefully cut out the cards just outside the dotted lines (so that the dotted lines could be slightly seen all the way around). That was my preference for my cards; yet I see some graded cards that have been cut out on the lines, just inside the lines, etc., and it does not seem to affect the grade one way or the other.

So, for Hostess collectors, what's the general consensus or "rule" regarding cutting the cards, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM

I've been kind of working on those sets for years. If you are not condition sensitive, you can get them real cheap, they are very plentiful.

I have no desire to put the set together as 3 card panels, mine are individual cards.

I imagine a set could be put together in a few weeks via Ebay if you wanted.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Mark

The true challenge of the Hostess sets is the 1977 "Twinkies" set. I've been working on that for decades. That's the only year in which every one of the 150 cards is available on a single (black bar) panel. Some were on the standard Twinkie size (#1-60), some were on cupcake (much narrower #60 - 135) some were on SnoBalls (had flaps on the panels)

The last 15 cards in the set have been a real test for me. I've never seen the uncut versions of those cards come up.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I hear ya Mark, I've been looking for a '77 Twinkies Don Sutton being sold by itself for 5+ years now.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Default inside the lines

absolutely should not have received a numerical grade. if the card did it was misgraded.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Jay Shelton

Here's an example (there are others) of a card on eBay that is labeled by PSA as "Hand Cut" and also Gem Mint with a numerical grade:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-HOSTESS...item540f341083

So, are we saying that there should not be a number grade on any card that has been hand cut, etc., or just Hostess?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If anyone needs 1976 Twinkies Aaron cards, I have several available. All have the product stains in varying degrees.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
o, are we saying that there should not be a number grade on any card that has been hand cut, etc., or just Hostess?
I think Glyn Parson was saying it should not receive a numeric grade if cut inside the dotted or dashed lines.

Edited to add that I think you'll find the Bazooka issues from the 60's (and 1959) to be treated the same.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-27-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
The true challenge of the Hostess sets is the 1977 "Twinkies" set. I've been working on that for decades. That's the only year in which every one of the 150 cards is available on a single (black bar) panel. Some were on the standard Twinkie size (#1-60), some were on cupcake (much narrower #60 - 135) some were on SnoBalls (had flaps on the panels)

The last 15 cards in the set have been a real test for me. I've never seen the uncut versions of those cards come up.
Here is an example of an uncut Twinkies sheet that I have (I believe I have two or three). Sure enough, the last card on the sheet is #135. Interesting...

Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Mark

That looks to be the Cupcakes run. You'll notice there's very little border between the cards. Those also have much different printing on the back. The stats are printed a lot smaller than the Twinkies versions.

I'm not 100 percent sure what product the ones over #135 were issued in. 1-60 were Twinkies. The Snowballs seem to be skip numbered.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

And for really tough ones there's these.

I traded for a small batch of them back around 1981. 74 McCovey Washinton And maybe a couple other cards for the whole bunch.

The stupidly traded half of them for another McCovey Washington.

So there's around 10 of them out there plus my 10. I've never seen any others and haven't seen them listed anywhere.

Pretty interesting, along with the different colors most are screened more coarsely, and there are a few reversed negatives. And numbers over 150 - which seem to match the list for proofs in the Standard catalog.

Steve B
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
That looks to be the Cupcakes run. You'll notice there's very little border between the cards. Those also have much different printing on the back. The stats are printed a lot smaller than the Twinkies versions.

I'm not 100 percent sure what product the ones over #135 were issued in. 1-60 were Twinkies. The Snowballs seem to be skip numbered.
Ok. That makes sense. Found a photo of the backs:

Here is a 1977 Twinkie card I have that I believe has never been catalogued - Dave Parker.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Here is an example of the differences in the Twinkies in 1975. There may be others in 75 as well as other years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg host front.jpg (78.1 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg host back.jpg (78.1 KB, 503 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 PM

I picked up a nice 76 and 79 set a few weeks ago. I have cut a few to get a feel for the grading. My grades have resulted in. 8s, 9s, and 10s.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFerg View Post
I picked up a nice 76 and 79 set a few weeks ago. I have cut a few to get a feel for the grading. My grades have resulted in. 8s, 9s, and 10s.
That's very cool. So when you cut them, do you cut exactly on the dotted line (thus leaving a slight line residual), outside the line, or inside the line? I've seen all forms of cutting these cards, and when I used to trade with friends in the 1970s, I was pretty picky about how the cards were cut out, as I did not want ragged edge cards, etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I've been researching old issues of The Trader Speaks for my next book project and found this interesting article form the July 1975 issue. It is a neat read and has some some insights on distribution/alternate products:

Last edited by toppcat; 11-21-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Uh, that's not Milt May.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Here's more from the August issue that includes Sy Berger advising the photos came from Topps:

Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

deleted dupe post

Last edited by toppcat; 11-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Uh, that's not Milt May.
Looks like his 'brother,' Lee May.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

I don't know how to paste it here, but a 1975 Hostess panel with the corrected Burt Hooton card sold for $361.26 on eBay recently even with light creases and light scratches. The corrected 1975 Burt Hooton and Doug Rader cards are very difficult to find, there must have been a small print run of them.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Here you go (from ebay)

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I don't know how to paste it here, but a 1975 Hostess panel with the corrected Burt Hooton card sold for $361.26 on eBay recently even with light creases and light scratches. The corrected 1975 Burt Hooton and Doug Rader cards are very difficult to find, there must have been a small print run of them.
One of the articles above said it was correct only on Ho Ho's, all other boxes spelled it wrong.

There are probably quite a few less of the correct spelling cards.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
One of the articles above said it was correct only on Ho Ho's, all other boxes spelled it wrong.

There are probably quite a few less of the correct spelling cards.
Aha, that's why every correct Hooton that I have seen has the factory crease along the bottom, they are from the smaller box.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM

A fairly large amount of unused/unfolded boxes seemed to have made their way into circulation; especially from 1975. Was this just extra stock? Were they poor quality rejects? 9 panels, mostly on King Dons boxes, seem to be more plentiful in this form. Anybody have any insight?

Bob C
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

King Dons were somewhat regional, going by another name in other areas. My guess is that one of the regional bakeries either changed names or backdoored a bunch of boxes. That sort of thing happened a lot back then.

I finished the Papa Ginos discs in 78 by luck. We got Pizza once a week, so I got pretty close to having the set. Towards the end we went to another restauraunt and I got nothing but extras. When I asked the staff if I could swap them they handed me the entire bucket they had at the counter and told me to take what I needed since the promotion ended in a couple days. Our local place wouldn't even swap an extra for another random card.

I also got one of the counter ads. They claimed they were all meant to be sent back to corporate, but a week after the promotion ended one was "lost" down behind the register and when I asked they let me have it.

To get it back on topic......I also picked up a few of the Hostess shelf ads later on. 77-78 I think.

Steve B
Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Anyone else notice that the Hooten/Hooton panels are cropped differently?

Steve B
Old 11-24-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Anyone else notice that the Hooten/Hooton panels are cropped differently?

Steve B
Good eye, you can barely see above the roof on the error card.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

And, to totally bug the completists.............

Posted before, so long ago that I don't recall what products and panels they are. Here's the factory etc. indicators on the inside flaps.

Steve B

Old 11-25-2014, 09:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If you look at the Paul Blair, it, too, is cropped differently. It's most noticeable at the lower right corner. The one version has more dirt area to the right of the colored bands on his sleeve than the other. And at top, the metal stadium structures are different, the one having more of them in view than the other.

Some might attribute these differences to the misalignment of the one color plate (which is easy to see), but it definitely seems to be more substantial than that.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-25-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was looking over my 1976s this a.m. and noticed that one of them [McCovey] has a brown ink back. Never noticed that before.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Here is a piece from the June 13 1975 issue of Sports Collectors News about the '75 Hostess "test" set.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Here's an article on the regular set from the June 27 1975 issue of SCN:

Last edited by toppcat; 04-02-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

July 11 1975 issue of SCN reveals an album was issued for the main Hostess set:

Last edited by toppcat; 04-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Hand Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
absolutely should not have received a numerical grade. if the card did it was misgraded.
I thought they now graded cards like this but put the designation as Hand Cut? Not just Hostess panels....

Z Wheat
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Short prints

Anyone have specific data on the short prints across the different years?

I am still looking for John Mayberry from the 1975 set (card #92) and five or six 1979s (also in the 90-100 number range). Anybody have a spare Mayberry?

Just wondering if there are common ranges of numbers between the sets that might have been SPs?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Here is an article from the July 19, 1976 Sports Collectors News entitled 1976 Hostess Cards Checklisted. It has information on some black and brown prints and the collectors album for the issue.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-15-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I may have missed it but does anyone have scans of both Hooton variations?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
I may have missed it but does anyone have scans of both Hooton variations?
The correct card is very difficult to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hooton.jpg (76.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thanks for sharing Cliff. You are a wealth of knowledge in the variations department!