NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Robert*C@tlett

Default Two Hank Aaron "cards"

I am trying to get all my Aaron cards slabbed. I came across these two Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless cards of Hank Aaron - left is 1970, right is 1980. Does anyone know if SGC or PSA will grade these, since they are really just newspaper cutouts? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dayton news aarons.jpg (57.8 KB, 261 views)
Topps Venezuela - need 1967 #284
OPC - done
Regional, Food, etc. - need quite a few
would like to find - 1961 Keychain Insert, 1977 NST Oh/Aaron
Old 03-29-2015, 02:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
I am trying to get all my Aaron cards slabbed. I came across these two Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless cards of Hank Aaron - left is 1970, right is 1980. Does anyone know if SGC or PSA will grade these, since they are really just newspaper cutouts? Thanks.
I would hope PSA wouldn't; they got a ton of flack for an early Nolan Ryan newspaper cutout that angered many of their player set registry collectors. Why does this need to be slabbed? Maybe put it in a green label PSA holder? That's what I'm planning to do with my handmade GT 1942 football card set I found on eBay 10 years ago.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Todd Schultz

The big difference between these and that Ryan monstrosity is that these were intended to be cut out, and in fact are styled as cards, whereas the Ryan was simply a photo in the Sporting News as part of a news story. Still, I have seen dozens of 1936 "Sports Stamps" cut from various newspapers that also were intended to be cut yet are not slabbed by either PSA or SGC-- check Ebay and see below. I'm not really sure why either, since if it was on a cereal or jello box it would be slabbed, and probably so if it were on a newspaper supplement (especially if on any other stock). Maybe they figure it must be something that was purchased at least in part because of the "card" before they will slab it, and that no one would purchase a newspaper just for these cut outs. Just guessing.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-29-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Brian Erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
They will grade them - though maybe not the 1980, unless it's trimmed more. See attached Mays that I recently had graded.

1970 Dayton Daily News.jpg

1958-1961 JAY PUBLISHING PHOTOS-TYPE 1 WILLIE MAYS PORTRAIT-POSE TO NECK
1964 MEADOWGOLD DAIRY PANEL-HAND CUT MANTL / KOUFX / MAYS / MAZERSKI
1968 AMERICAN OIL WILLIE MAYS LEFT SIDE-$10
1969 GLOBE IMPORTS PLAYING CARDS WILLIE MAYS ACE OF HEARTS-CHECKERBOARD BACK
1971 BAZOOKA NUMBERED WILLIE MAYS HAND CUT
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejules1 View Post
They will grade them - though maybe not the 1980, unless it's trimmed more. See attached Mays that I recently had graded.

Attachment 184658
Yours got a number grade despite not having full borders? That's against their own grading criteria as well.... argh.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I would hope PSA wouldn't; they got a ton of flack for an early Nolan Ryan newspaper cutout that angered many of their player set registry collectors. Why does this need to be slabbed? Maybe put it in a green label PSA holder? That's what I'm planning to do with my handmade GT 1942 football card set I found on eBay 10 years ago.
here's the/my ryan he's referring to. I love the "card", but fully understand why the registry contestants got their panties in a wad over it. in fact, i'm even glad they quit grading them as there are only 5 in holders. it's all relative!

worst case scenario, i'd go with the green holder as mentioned if they deny it.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

SGC also will slab the Daytons. I have been looking for Aarons so those are nice to see--didn't know if they existed.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Dave H@rford

Default PSA grades one of them

RobertC,
Below is my 1970 Dayton Daily News graded Authentic.

The 1980 will be tougher to slab. I have done some research on the 1980 DDN, but PSA has been unable to confirm any provenance. I would love to get a copy of, or the date of, the paper it came from in order to verify the authenticity for PSA.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
RobertC,
Below is my 1970 Dayton Daily News graded Authentic.

The 1980 will be tougher to slab. I have done some research on the 1980 DDN, but PSA has been unable to confirm any provenance. I would love to get a copy of, or the date of, the paper it came from in order to verify the authenticity for PSA.

Dave
Yours is actually the 1971 version, the photo is cropped differently and the bio has been updated to include his 1970 stats.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Dave H@rford

Cliff,
Thanks. I have seen different DDN of other players, noted as 1970 and 1971 versions, but I had never seen the Aaron (and was not sure it existed).

Looking at the population report at PSA, they do not recognize the 1971 DDN series at this point.

Dave
Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Brian Erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
Cliff,

Looking at the population report at PSA, they do not recognize the 1971 DDN series at this point.

Dave
I had this same "discussion" with PSA regarding recognizing the 1971 as different from the 1970, specifically for Willie Mays, as I have one of both. Here is the response I got from them: "I reached out to Joe regarding this issue and for the time being we are going to keep everything as 1970 Dayton Daily News without a variation. At this point we don’t feel there is enough evidence to support the variation, the spreadsheet you provided was great, but because it doesn’t come from a credible, reputable source we at this time cannot begin to differentiate the cards."

1958-1961 JAY PUBLISHING PHOTOS-TYPE 1 WILLIE MAYS PORTRAIT-POSE TO NECK
1964 MEADOWGOLD DAIRY PANEL-HAND CUT MANTL / KOUFX / MAYS / MAZERSKI
1968 AMERICAN OIL WILLIE MAYS LEFT SIDE-$10
1969 GLOBE IMPORTS PLAYING CARDS WILLIE MAYS ACE OF HEARTS-CHECKERBOARD BACK
1971 BAZOOKA NUMBERED WILLIE MAYS HAND CUT
Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Robert*C@tlett

The way I identified the 1980 one is from post #7 in:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=120904
I haven't been able to find much else. The funny thing is that until recently, I didn't even know I had one. I found an envelope in storage that said "Dayton Daily News Aaron". I assumed it was the 1970 version, until I actually looked at it. Probably didn't pay very much for it .
Topps Venezuela - need 1967 #284
OPC - done
Regional, Food, etc. - need quite a few
would like to find - 1961 Keychain Insert, 1977 NST Oh/Aaron
Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Dave H@rford

RobertC,
I used the same Net54 thread, as well as some others to obtain the 1980 date on my DDN. One thing bothers me about the 1980 date though, if you look at the stats, it has his Major League Totals listed.

In these totals, the numbers that are listed on this DDN, are NOT his career numbers; they have listed 745 HRs' (he hit 10 more in 1976 as a DH, for a total of 755); they have 3709 Hits (he had 62 more in 1976 for a total of 3771). The DDN also lists him retiring at the end of the 1975 season.

OK, who in their "right-mind" would pull out a "tribute DDN" to Hank Aaron in 1980 and NOT put his FINAL stats on the card?????????????

I just have to wonder if this was printed in the off-season between 1975 and 1976 when Aaron waivered on whether he would return to play in the 1976 season. Maybe this is NOT a 1980 at all? Thus my desire to find the paper and the date it came from.

Thoughts anyone?
Dave
Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Whenever I see that Ryan clipping, I think of David Ferrie from the JFK assassination case…

ryanferrie.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.