NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM
Kyle May

Default SGC Graded Sanella Ruth vs. Other SGC Pre-War

If someone is bored and has a 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth graded by SGC, can you please post a picture of it side-by-side with another or several other Pre-War cards graded by SGC (Goudey, T206, etc.)? I don't believe I have ever seen one in person and I would like to obtain a Ruth.

Please and thank you.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Ben North

I no longer have the Sanella Ruth. Here it is with the group of cards I donated to a local museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 649.jpg (81.2 KB, 169 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Kyle May

Thank you very much.

Hmmmm... That's not too bad, especially if it were to be the centerpiece for a "1st HoF Class" display.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 03-31-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not really sure why, but the ex-U.S. Ruth cards never did it for me. They weren't released to kids and their parents crazy about baseball, but to people in Russia, German and the UK who probably couldn't suppress a yawn fast enough. I realize they are relatively cheaper than other Ruth cards.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Not really sure why, but the ex-U.S. Ruth cards never did it for me. They weren't released to kids and their parents crazy about baseball, but to people in Russia, German and the UK who probably couldn't suppress a yawn fast enough. I realize they are relatively cheaper than other Ruth cards.
3 things appeal to me with this card:

1. Price. Most affordable period Ruth card.

2. Image. It's a great image of Ruth, presumably hitting a HR (or sac fly).

3. I like the Pre-WWII/Nazi German connection of this card. As a historian, I enjoy finding items that truly relate to historic events.

What's interesting is SGC doesn't seem to have an in-between slab for this card. They use the Exhibits slab, and cut the interior black insert to size. I think a better slab fit would do this card wonders, public appeal wise.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 03-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

3. I like the Pre-WWII/Nazi German connection of this card. As a historian, I enjoy finding items that truly relate to historic events.

What's interesting is SGC doesn't seem to have an in-between slab for this card. They use the Exhibits slab, and cut the interior black insert to size. I think a better slab fit would do this card wonders, public appeal wise.
Agree with you and Snapolit1. To me it truly a collector's card. You don't get the thrill you would with a nice Goudey but it's a better looking card IMO (even though 3 of the 33 Goudey's are gorgeous). That being said I've noticed the price of these cards plummeting on eBay (seeing low-mid grade at $100-$200) and I still can't pull the trigger.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Three good reasons.

As to #2, if you are interested in a nice Leaf Max Schmelling card shoot me a pm. It's a beautiful card and not expensive. Have tried to sell for a while with a nice Joe Louis card and haven't gotten any takers.

Quote:

Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Agree with you and Snapolit1. To me it truly a collector's card. You don't get the thrill you would with a nice Goudey but it's a better looking card IMO (even though 3 of the 33 Goudey's are gorgeous). That being said I've noticed the price of these cards plummeting on eBay (seeing low-mid grade at $100-$200) and I still can't pull the trigger.
I should've pulled the trigger towards the end of last year. There were some SGC Sanella Ruths in the $75-90 range. I'd be content grabbing a SGC 20-30 Sanella Ruth for under $100. I'd pull the trigger then. Struggling right now because I'm in no-man's-land funds wise - close enough to some larger targets where I should stay patient, but enough where I could knock out a few targets, large and small. It's a struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Three good reasons.

As to #2, if you are interested in a nice Leaf Max Schmelling card shoot me a pm. It's a beautiful card and not expensive. Have tried to sell for a while with a nice Joe Louis card and haven't gotten any takers.
Schmelling is the main reason I'm not going to save a bit more for a 1932 Bulgaria Ruth. I'm not a Boxing fan. Otherwise, I'd be all over the 1932 Bulgaria Ruth because it says, "Ohio" on the back.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 03-31-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Schmelling is the main reason I'm not going to save a bit more for a 1932 Bulgaria Ruth. I'm not a Boxing fan. Otherwise, I'd be all over the 1932 Bulgaria Ruth because it says, "Ohio" on the back.
The Bulgaria Ruth is a nice photo of a pensive Ruth, even with the be-suited Schmelling. At least Schmelling looks a little better in formal attire than that creepy little bird man in the ill fitting suit on the E121 Ruth card. And a bonus is that it was taken on the field, as it features a couple of his teammates in the dugout on the bottom right corner of the card.

If one of the reasons you like the Sanella is because of the size, you would be disappointed with the Bulgaria card, as it is only 1-5/8 x 2-3/8".

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthbulgariaf.jpg (15.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
The Bulgaria Ruth is a nice photo of a pensive Ruth, even with the be-suited Schmelling. At least Schmelling looks a little better in formal attire than that creepy little bird man in the ill fitting suit on the E121 Ruth card. And a bonus is that it was taken on the field, as it features a couple of his teammates in the dugout on the bottom right corner of the card.

If one of the reasons you like the Sanella is because of the size, you would be disappointed with the Bulgaria card, as it is only 1-5/8 x 2-3/8".

Brian
This is true, I do like the it's on the field/dugout.

I don't like the size of the Ruth per-se, but I don't mind it. I think SGC emphasizes the size, and even exaggerates it with the unfitting slab.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 03-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:

I know that budget Ruth cards from his playing days are few and far between, but you don't have interest in the Shonen postcard? It is only slightly more expensive than a Sanella card, and it is a decent image of Ruth batting. IMO, I would take the Shonen postcard over the Sanella as a budget Ruth card from his playing days.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I know that budget Ruth cards from his playing days are few and far between, but you don't have interest in the Shonen postcard? It is only slightly more expensive than a Sanella card, and it is a decent image of Ruth batting. IMO, I would take the Shonen postcard over the Sanella as a budget Ruth card from his playing days.
Admittedly I didn't know about the Shonen. Haha. Because it's a postcard it doesn't interest me as much as the Sanella. I do like the image, and will acquire one eventually because I like the idea of it being Pre-WWII Japanese. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

What are the dimensions of the Shonen?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Admittedly I didn't know about the Shonen. Haha. Because it's a postcard it doesn't interest me as much as the Sanella. I do like the image, and will acquire one eventually because I like the idea of it being Pre-WWII Japanese. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

What are the dimensions of the Shonen?
It is 3-3/8" X 5-5/8". Both SGC and PSA will grade the Shonen. I have included a couple links that discuss the Shonen postcard; it was included in the August 1929 edition of the Japanese children's magazine Shonen Club. The image supposedly comes from opening day of the 1926 season.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not own one. But it blows me away that the Shonen postcard sells for less than most of the horrific strip cards of Ruth of the 1920s in which you can't even tell it's him being depicted. Even the low-grade Exhibits and strip cards of Ruth have climbed out of reach of budget collectors in recent years.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/enews/20...44/enews44.htm

http://www.oldcardboard.com/foreign/...cardsetID=1422

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-31-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I have a Sanella and a Shonen. I tink the Sanella has a great image actually and is solid for how cheap they go for.

I'd definitely choose the Shonen if I could only keep one of the two due to it being more scarce than the Sanella and it too looks nice imo...

There's also old threads on affordable Ruth options if you search. You might find some other ideas too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33609457702_797a3a89f5_z.jpg (46.0 KB, 45 views)