NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Pre-war (mainly T206era) Tutorial?

I hope this doesn't offend, but what is the best way to get a crash course on early Tobacco cards? I'm not expecting the vast knowledge many of you have gained over many years of collecting. But I am hoping to go see a collection this week and the guy supposedly has cards all the way back T-206s.

I just want to have half a clue what I am looking at and/or be able to look something up quickly. My level of knowledge is 1954 - 1980. I've learned tons about the '52 & '53 sets and while I have never even held one in my hand, i'm beginning to become more and more interested in:
1948 Leaf
1933 - 34 Goudey
1915? Cracker Jack
Various Tobacco cards of which other than T206 I couldn't name any of the others.

So any help at all would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I hope this doesn't offend, but what is the best way to get a crash course on early Tobacco cards?
You never know over here, but if this offends anybody, I got your back buddy...
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM

This is where I snagged my T206 Cubbies checklist from...

http://t206resource.com/index.html

A couple others too...http://www.t206.org and http://www.thatt206life.com.

Pretty sure the dudes that run these sites are on the forum. These are some great sites for sure...

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 12-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Dan Bl@u

http://oldcardboard.com/

One of the best quick & easy references out there on all prewar sets. It won't necessarily help you with authenticating something, but it will help you figure out what you have.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM
Paul

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/i...al-edition.pdf

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Eric
Eric

Well, you are certainly in the right place! Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the guys here who have a ton of knowledge are more than happy to share that knowledge. I got a ton of help when I was trying to buy the right 1915 CJ Cobb and had someone that I was able to bounce ideas off. T206 information is everywhere. Try Tedzan's thread about T206 or thatt206life.com. Old Cardboard is excellent as well. Also don't be afraid to use the board to throw out specifics about a certain set. Plenty of people want to share their knowledge. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The number one key for you at this point is to be assured the seller will allow returns if they aren't authentic. If the seller is reliable and allows returns, the rest isn't life and death. If he won't allow returns, then I'd pass until you get more knowledge.

Though if you are able to post quality images of the cards on this board, people will give you good opinions as to authenticity.

Last edited by drcy; 12-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The number one key for you at this point is to be assured the seller will allow returns if they aren't authentic. If the seller is reliable and allows returns, the rest isn't life and death. If he won't allow returns, then I'd pass until you get more knowledge.

Though if you are able to post quality images of the cards on this board, people will give you good opinions as to authenticity.
+1

Also, if you have a card in hand and know the player's last name, you can type the last name into vintagecardprices.com and check out all the "regular issue" cards that have been sold for that player. Usually the site will have a stock photo for that player/card combination so you can then compare to what you're evaluating in hand. From there, use the oldcardboard website mentioned above or simply google the set name to find out more information. Showing photos on here would go a long way as many of us have seen enough reprints to spot one just from an online image.

Good luck!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Oh boy, be careful what you wish for!! Less than two years ago I joined net54 to dip my toes into the world of rare back t206s, and boy did in end up with a deep dive. There is more t206 knowledge on this board then you can even begin to imagine. And, once you open that door, be careful... You might find yourself hoarding Joe tinkers, or Fred Merkles, or falling in love with cycle's series 460 (very underrated IMO), or spending the equivalent of a college tuition on mess-ups like brown old mills and lenoxs, blank backs, and cards with last names spelled Magie. And just when you think you have direction, along comes something else that waylaid you and now it's Tolstois... The name "the monster" is absolutely perfect, and it is one nasty beast. But I, and a ton of people on this board, love it!! You have come to the right (or wrong) place.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 12-05-2017 at 06:30 PM.