NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Raw Card Protection

Posted By: Jerry

I am going thru my raw cards that have been in screwdown Lucite holders for over 10 years. I have heard a few horror stories about cards sticking to the holders. None of my cards were damaged by the Lucites, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put them in penny sleeves before putting them back in the Screwdowns.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

I put all of my cards in plastic sleeves prior to putting them into screwdown holders. Someone gave me this advice a while back.

I also use the recessed screwdowns rather than the non-recessed ones. I think the non-recessed holders might put extra pressure on the edges of the card if the screws are tightened too much.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

If you're going to put them into sleeves first, I recommend using a mylar sleeve. It's better from an archival standpoint.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

you know the drill

" START POSTING"

Old 05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...but I would go with the penny sleeves at least. I have seen cards stuck to lucite screw downs, but mostly (only?) the glossy modern crap.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Sorry Brian - I dont like my vintage cards raw. Slabs all the way.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

I was in a card shop several years ago. The owner told me about a customer who brought in a 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco rookie card in a screw-down holder without a plastic sleeve. The owner told the customer that he would buy the card only if the customer could remove the card from the screw-down holder in one piece. The customer unscrewed the screws and pulled the two sides of the holder apart. As he pulled the two sides apart, the card was pulled into two pieces, the front half being stuck to the screw-down holder. Needless to say, the owner was not interested in buying the card.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Jack et al:

Where is the best place on-line to buy mylar sleeves? I found a few places yesterday, but I was curious where you guys get yours.

Brad

Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

This is where I got mine:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1136486398/

Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Sorry, Josh...

I don't like my vintage cards slabbed. I try to buy raw, and if they are graded, I bust them out of those silly little holders.

Frank.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

when you bust them out of their holders, do you find that they are easier or harder to sell since they are not graded?? just curious, I only bust open the GAI and PSA holders of cards that are 1.5 or below...and here's what I do with my ungraded/ungradable raw, it is an "unrecessed" holder with a thick paperstock that I cut out for each card.

cards.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hello Anthony,

I've yet to sell a liberated card.

I acknowledge that a slabbed/graded card is easier to sell, than the identical card ungraded. But I'm not buying cards for resale. I buy a card because of who the player is, what he did; or because it is part of a series or set I'm attempting to complete; or because it is a type of card of which I don't have an example.

So I break 'em out. And from there they go into sheets in an archive box, or they're stacked in small boxes that are stacked into safety deposit boxes. And some of the newer stuff ends up in wooden cigar boxes after a while stacked on a bookshelf.

I'd think that if you're going to resell a card, you'd want to leave it in the holder, unless you were confident that the card would grade higher.

I might auction off on eBay a pile of plastic bits and little PSA and GAI inserts... no telling what some scammer could do whith those and some glue.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I have been using these T.E.N. sleeves storing my t205/6 collection, it works out pretty well. You can found them at http://www.t206museum.com/page/tensizesleeves.html

Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

When putting cards in store bought slabs, I believe some people think it is necessary to screw the top down very tight. Over tightening if you will. I always screw the top down very lightly, just to hold the card in place, and in 20 years, have never had a problem. I know some people like to screw them down so tight they can, over time, get stretched. It is not necessary to crush them.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i too have seen many "2 piece" newer cards due to "overtightening" the holder...the insert i make is just a tad-bit thicker than the card allowing it to move freely in holder, they also fit nicely into my card case/box by being all the same size or close to the graded companies.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

Sorry Brian - I dont like my vintage cards raw. Slabs all the way.

The binders wok well for raw cards too and thought you would post a few pic. Remeber,we old guys used to collect and put the raw cards in binders long before PSA was demonically invented!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I like my vintage cards slabbed as well, from a storage and protection standpoint.

Also, if I do have raw cards, I do not put them in screwdowns. I heard once that when you place a card in a screwdown, it is possible to screw one corner tighter than others, thereby bending one corner.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!