NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 AM

Default Break from my National Story - Harness Racing

photo 1_FullFront_zps33ef7fd2.jpg
c1880 Harness Racing Clock Featuring Goldsmith Maid and Bud Doble
10 3/4" wide X 6" tall
Bought by Carlton on eBay 9/25/13

photo 3_ClockCLose_zpsf8e0b6b1.jpg

photo 4_UnderBase_zps64d71a5c.jpg

photo 2_FullBack_zps5aa510a4.jpg

photo 5_Typednoteofhistory_zps12600c9f.jpg
Below From eBay listing:

This is the note that came with the clock.

J. Shively 11/20/90

Betty: This pot metal design of Goldsmith Maid and Budd Doble was

probably made in the 1880's. I have been told the artist really created

a remarkable likeness of both mare and driver. It originally belonged

to S.H. Cowell from Santa Cruz (owned Star Etawah, Peter Patch, etc.)

He passed it on to Walter Tryon who was his trainer. Walter gave it to me in the early 1950's,

Regards, Jerry Shively

Jerry gave it to Betty and after her death it was given to me.

The clock does not work and has damage to the back.

10-3/4" long, 6" tall and 2-1/4" deep.

I am listing several harnessracing items on my auction. Please takea look and I will be glad to combine items to save on shipping.

Thanks for looking.

Tonight I introduced a new sport into my collection…In the thirty years I’ve collected I never bought anything harness racing….knew nothing about it except it didn’t do anything for me…

photo 1891HarnessRacingKansasFairPoster_zps8f5cb2fe.jpg

I’ve seen harness racing on 19th century posters….like county fair ones with great graphics by Donaldson and so on…but it was so foreign to me I would never get involved…I only have a few thoroughbred horseracing items….and a number of polo pieces…and that was as far into horsey stuff I ever got

photo SeaBiscuitBeatWarAdmiral41X35_inch_zpsd6254d52.jpg

photo VienaPoloGroup_zps3213cc3b.jpg

…then I spotted this clock on eBay last week…First I was impressed it appeared to be from the 19th century…Then I started looking into who the driver and horse were purported to be…I started learning stuff and connecting the dots and got hooked!!

photo print_zps82a121a3.jpg

photo bud_zps9a9d7690.jpg

From 1869 to 1874, Goldsmith Maid became immensely popular with the American public, attracting thousands of spectators to special match races that pitted her against the nation's top harness racers. Doble earned so much from these matches, and the horse had become so popular that "The Maid" traveled to these engagements in her own private railroad car. In 1874, Doble set a harness racing world record (one mile in 2:14) in Boston with Maid, who was by then 17 years old.
http://oddsonracing.com/docs/Horseof...dsmithMaid.cfm

Below From the August 16, 1954 Edition of Sports Illustrated
America's first sports hero was a horse, a graceful bay mare with blinding speed and a bewitching personality named Goldsmith Maid. Her popularity as a campaigner and a favorite of the crowds has never been excelled even to this day. During her career (1865-77) she trotted 426 heats, appearing on every great track in the country from New England to California, and drew huge crowds everywhere. So great was her popularity that she was paid $5,000 for mere exhibitions against time. Men scrambled for her castoff shoes whenever she was shod. In 1876 all the employees of a large shoe factory in North Brook-field, Mass. walked out and journeyed to Springfield, 35 miles away, to see her perform. Whole villages used to gather at the depot for a glimpse of her as she passed through. No stall on a jolting boxcar was for The Maid. She had her own private car. It was always hooked on to passenger trains and in one end was a drawing room for her driver, Budd Doble.

Born on a New Jersey farm in 1857, The Maid was no equine aristocrat. Her sire was a son of Rysdyk's Hambletonian but her ma was a worn-out cart horse of questionable lineage. Nellie was The Maid's first name and she was so high-spirited and unruly in her youth that she kicked several buggies to bits before she could be broken to harness. Her first owner, John B. Decker, gave up on her and sold her for a trifling sum. One of her owners (she had five in all) was Alden Goldsmith, who bought her in 1865 for $650 and a second-hand buggy, and furnished her with a new name. Goldsmith taught her to trot and entered her in her first race when she was an eight-year-old, much too old for a beginner, everyone thought. She won the race easily against an experienced field. It was the start of an amazing 13-year career during which she won over 350 heats and 97 out of 123 races, many of which were best-three-out-of-five heat races. She had 16 seconds, seven thirds, ran fourth once, went unplaced twice.

Three times The Maid crossed the continent, racing on both coasts and throughout the Midwest, and never once did she miss a performance. An iron campaigner, she traveled some 130,000 miles by rail and made countless short jumps between towns under her own steam in her early days.

The Maid was ageless and her speed increased as she grew older. At the advanced age of 14, when most horses are finished, she stepped the fastest mile in trotting history: two minutes, 17 seconds. Unbelievably, she lowered her own mark six more times until she reached 2:14, the fastest of her career. That was in 1874 when she was 16, the equine equivalent of almost 50 years in a human. As a middle-aged girl she went undefeated from 1871 through 1874 against younger horses of both sexes. Not until she was 21 did she call it quits, when she ran an exhibition mile for Governor Leland Stanford of California. Her time was only two seconds off her own world record. At that age she was still as fine and unblemished as a three-year-old.

Four years ago when Proximity, a harness racer, stretched his earnings to $252,929.67 the sports pages noted that he had broken the all-time record of $206,462.50 which was set by The Maid in 1877. It had taken 73 years as well as inflated purses to do it. These figures, however, are based on race winnings only. With exhibition money added, The Maid earned $264,573.50, perhaps more than any other harness horse in history. Whether or not, the belle of the '70s still stands as America's most remarkable horse.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Below from Wikipedia
Goldsmith Maid was originally named Maid and was foaled in the spring of 1857at the Deckertown, New Jersey farm of John B. Decker. Decker had purchased Maid's dam Old Ab (sired by Abdallah, the sire of Hambletonian in 1853 from a hat peddler and, taken with the mare's even temperament, had bred her to Alexander's Abdallah (formerly known as Edsell's Hambeletonian) in the hopes of producing a fine farm colt. Alexander's Abdallah was also a grandson of Abdallah, which meant that Maid was very inbred in her male lineage. While Old Ab may have been gentle and even tempered, her first foal was a wild, fiery tempered filly that was quite taken with jumping and crashing through Decker's fences and running through the corn fields of his neighbors.

Maid was not able to be trained as a harness horse or for any other occupation that would be of use on a farm due to her refusal to be hitched to a cart or pull a plow. Yet Decker, taken with the horse's lively spirit, kept Maid on his farm for seven years. Though she was untamed, one of Decker's hired hands secretly rode Maid in several local horse races and she gradually became known as a fast, albeit ill-tempered, runner. In November 1864, Mrs. Decker, tired of the horse's infamous reputation as "Decker's worthless mare", persuaded her reluctant husband to sell Maid to his nephew John H. Decker for $260. Decker in turn sold Maid to William Tompkins, a harness racer, a few days later for $400 while en route to his home in Newburgh, New York. Tompkins was also unable to race Maid successfully, with the horse refusing to adopt an even gait that would not endanger both sulky and driver. He sold the horse in the early months of 1865 to Alden Goldsmith for $650 and a second-hand buggy. Goldsmith changed the horse's name to Goldsmith Maid and put her under the training of William Bodine.

Racing record
Goldsmith Maid beating Judge Fullerton on July 16, 1874 in East Saginaw, Michigan where she ran one mile in 2 minutes 16 seconds.
In the spring of 1865, Maid was 8 years old, unbroken and had a persistent upper respiratory infection that would last throughout her maiden season. Bodine and Goldsmith, learning from their predecessor’s mistakes, decided not to use check reins, a martingale, blinders or a whip with Maid, instead treating her with kindness and allowing her to set her own pace. Goldsmith Maid trotted her first race in August 1865 and won several local races. She set track records in Goshen, New Jersey (with a best time of running a mile in 2 minutes, 26 seconds in three heats) in 1865 and Mystic Park racetrack in Boston in 1868 at a time of 2:21½.

Goldsmith, sensing that the 11 year old Maid was nearing the end of her career, sold her to Budd Doble, a popular harness racer and trainer, in 1868 for $20,000. Maid continued to race for another six years for Doble, notably winning races in Buffalo, Sacramento and East Saginaw, Michigan against male contenders half her age. From 1869 to 1874, Goldsmith Maid became immensely popular with the American public, attracting thousands of spectators to special match races that pitted her against the nation's top harness racers. Doble earned so much from these matches, and the horse had become so popular that "The Maid" traveled to these engagements in her own private railroad car. In 1874, Doble set a harness racing world record (one mile in 2:14) in Boston with Maid, who was by then 17 years old.

Goldsmith Maid was sold to Henry N. Smith, who owned Fashion Farm in Trenton, New Jersey, for $35,000 in 1874. The last four years of her career were spent defending her title, which she continued to match on several occasions. Her last race was in Toledo, Ohio on September 27, 1877 against Rarus, who tried to break her record of trotting a mile in 2 minutes and 14 seconds. Rarus failed on that attempt, but did later succeed in breaking the record. Goldsmith Maid won over 350 heats and won 92 out of 121 races. She earned a total of $364,200 in her career, a record that would not be broken until the 1950s.

Digesting all that gave me a lot to think about… as far as how bad did I want the clock…I knew it was rare…but it was harness racing…The opening bid was $125.00 and no one bid all week till the last seconds..Initially I put a $157.00 snipe on it figuring no way could I go wrong if I got it at that price… But as I pondered it over the week intuition told me to keep studying it…Then I analyzed the note that came with it that gave its history…and finally realized the value of knowing it’s history and who had owned it was invaluable…It seemed everyone that had owned it was a somebody in harness racing…including the person who wrote the note Jerry Shively
http://www.chhaonline.com/history/Ca...rness1941.html
and the original owner S.H. Cowell

http://www.shcowell.org/sections/who...wwa_legacy.php
Who we are: The Cowell Legacy
The S.H. Cowell Foundation was established in 1956 through a bequest from Samuel Henry Cowell (1861-1955). His father, Henry Cowell, migrated to California during the Gold Rush and made a sizeable fortune in the building materials, drayage and storage industries. S.H. continued and expanded the family business to include a significant real estate portfolio throughout Northern California - more than 80,000 acres of land in all.

Throughout his life, S.H. Cowell lived in San Francisco and Santa Cruz. The family's charitable interests and activities were significant in the region. Their philanthropic interests were widespread: underwriting the construction of the Ernest V. Cowell Student Health Center at the University of California, Berkeley; providing a scholarship fund for students from Santa Cruz to attend the University of California, helping to establish the San Francisco Earthquake Relief Fund in 1906 and building the Lighthouse for the Blind. The Cowell sisters, Isabella and Helen, contributed to the arts in San Francisco and were lead donors to a home for the aged. The family gave significantly to the Visiting Nurses Association, the Congregational Church of Santa Cruz and the City of Santa Cruz. S.H. Cowell worked extensively over his life to conserve California's coastal areas and donated land for the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park in Santa Cruz.

Upon S.H. Cowell's death in 1955, the bequest to the Foundation was primarily in real estate. The assets transferred from the estate to the Foundation were valued at more than $12.5 million dollars.

Making grants, managing the Foundation's investments, supporting grantees and their communities and partnering with other funders and non-profits are the Foundation's major responsibilities. As of December 2008, the Foundation's assets are valued at approximately $126 million. Since its inception, the Foundation has made more than $242 million in grants to 2,003 organizations.

The Foundation�s work today is organized around a place-based grantmaking strategy, one that aims to support communities where residents, service providers, educators and civic leaders are able to create a common vision and work effectively together to improve the quality of life for children and families living in poverty.

Nearly all of Cowell’s grants invest in underserved towns, communities and neighborhoods throughout Northern and Central California. Within this place-based framework, Cowell’s grants are focused around five program areas — Family Resource Centers, K-12 Public Education, Youth Development, Affordable Housing, and Responsive Grantmaking.

So I bumped the $157.00 to $267.00…and good thing as I won it just five dollars under what I had on it….I got it for $262.50...there was only one other bidder...

As popular as the duo were there were probably souvenirs sold of them...so it doesn't surprise me too much they made a clock featuring them...I also found out they made a silent movie about Bud Doble in which he played himself!

photo BudDobleComesBackMovieFlyer_zps2e7b7f44.png

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-26-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Added a few minor details
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a great story, Carlton. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM

nice items, and good story. morgan bulkeley was involved in early harness racing, and several more recent major league players and managers were/are involved. dan patch was a major star.