NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Researching Springfield Basketball Banner

Picked up this 1929 banner last night….would anyone have any reference to the Springfield amateur league it’s for?...I can’t find anything on the internet…would like to learn the teams in the league…and about the winner Arbor Athletic Association…the rosters especially.Thanks -Carlton

photo 1 Full tagged_zpsmwf40vyi.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-25-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:10 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Unfortunately I don't any information on the league, but I just wanted to say that's an absolutely stunning banner and I wish I had seen it! Great pickup!
Old 10-25-2015, 03:43 PM

Default Thanks

Hey thanks Derek...glad you like it...I haven't seen an antique sports banner like this for sale in a long time...Yale has quite a few silk banners in their trophy room...Some were quite tattered as can be seen in the photo below...also link to the whole story below the photo...The bottom photo is one that John Kanuit had for sale at the 2004 National...Wickwire Spencer was a steel company I think...

http://www.sportsantiques.com/pg12brimstory.htm#*Part 1

photo WickSpencer_zpsn46l1jip.jpg
2004 National, booth of John Kanuit

BTW...would you have any basketball display pieces to post?....would like to see

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Fantastic banner!

I don't know anything about the league or team.

The silk used for some stuff back into the 1800's had stuff added to stiffen it which isn't good long term. The ones at Yale have probably suffered from years of being displayed.

From a different hobby on the Smithsonian website.

http://www.si.edu/encyclopedia_si/nmah/vicquilt.htm

The part that applies.
"Many of the silk fabrics used in "crazy" quilts are weighted with mineral salts and other substances. This means the fabrics have been coated with, or have actually absorbed, these substances to give them more weight and a stiffer texture. Unfortunately, weighting substances also speed up the fabric's deterioration.

Silk is extremely susceptible to light damage, which can be seen in brittleness, splits, and the eventual powdering of the yarns. Sometimes, even though a piece of silk may appear in perfect condition, it can be extremely fragile. Unfortunately, we know of no way to stop this deterioration or reverse it. We can, however, slow it down by keeping the textile out of sunlight and bright household lighting -- especially fluorescent. If a quilt is to be displayed, it should be protected by keeping the room's draperies drawn, the light level low, and the lighting fixtures placed at a distance from the quilt."

Just swap "banner" "ribbon" etc for "quilt" and it works fine.

Steve B
Old 10-27-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Fantastic banner!

I don't know anything about the league or team.

The silk used for some stuff back into the 1800's had stuff added to stiffen it which isn't good long term. The ones at Yale have probably suffered from years of being displayed.

From a different hobby on the Smithsonian website.

http://www.si.edu/encyclopedia_si/nmah/vicquilt.htm

The part that applies.
"Many of the silk fabrics used in "crazy" quilts are weighted with mineral salts and other substances. This means the fabrics have been coated with, or have actually absorbed, these substances to give them more weight and a stiffer texture. Unfortunately, weighting substances also speed up the fabric's deterioration.

Silk is extremely susceptible to light damage, which can be seen in brittleness, splits, and the eventual powdering of the yarns. Sometimes, even though a piece of silk may appear in perfect condition, it can be extremely fragile. Unfortunately, we know of no way to stop this deterioration or reverse it. We can, however, slow it down by keeping the textile out of sunlight and bright household lighting -- especially fluorescent. If a quilt is to be displayed, it should be protected by keeping the room's draperies drawn, the light level low, and the lighting fixtures placed at a distance from the quilt."

Just swap "banner" "ribbon" etc for "quilt" and it works fine.

Steve B
Steve, Wow that's great stuff to know...thanks so much for posting that...very interesting!!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Here's my lone, true vintage basketball display piece... Actually picked it up at the National (:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting...always like to see display pieces...looks like it may be 3-dimensional...would like to see a wider and bigger photo....what's the details?...what vintage? is it an easel back? feel free to expound would like to know more about it.

Anybody else have basketball display pieces to post?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:07 AM

Carlton,
Nice piece !!! Pat Vesper (vintage basketball cards or such) on this forum might be able to help since he collects vintage basketball.