NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Ruth/Gehrig Help, Thoughts, Ideas for research

Good evening all. First post ever. I was referred to this site from patneshek.com (very Twins heavy site and more lower end stuff).

I have in my possession what appears to be an Official American League Baseball (Ban Johnson) from around 1927 (blue & red laces). The person I acquired it from claimed it was his grandfather's who passed away a few years ago. He had sold the other baseballs after being told that they were likely "clubhouse signatures". He had the sense to keep the ball out of his home because he was/is a smoker and stored it at his friends house until the day I came to buy it. The ball appears to have all the legitimate stamping and signs of being a legitimate baseball from the mid-late 1920's. The autographs on the ball seem to be of the 1927 New York Yankees including Babe Ruth (on the sweet spot) & Lou Gehrig. There are a few autographs that are missing or have faded so bad you cant see (Tony Lazzeri, Ray Morehart, Benny Bengough, Walter Beall) but the rest are there and seem to be pretty close to the autographs I could find on eBay that were PSA/DNA authenticated (not saying PSA is gospel, but it is what it is).

What makes the ball even more interesting, is some sort of connection to the National Air Show. Someone at some point wrote on the ball "National Air Show Waco "8" 1927. There also appears to be 3 autographs in black pen (the baseball player autographs are in blue) that arent tied to the Yankees. I can't make out two of the three, but the one I can read says "John P. Wood" who was a professional pilot during those air shows in the 20's until he passed away in a trip over California. Two coincidences. #1: the guy I purchased it from has the last name of Wood, but said his grandpa and great grandpas names were not John and he had no recollection of that being in his family. #2: John P. Wood flew the plane called the "Baby Ruth" which was sponsored by the candy and if I remember correctly, the candy was named after a President's daughter, not the Great Bambino.

My hope is that you guys can give me some tips or tricks to help solidify its authenticity by taking a look the pictures below and maybe giving me some things that are red flags or things that would lead you to believe that it's legitimate (especially Ruth & Gehrig's autos). I have been in the hobby long enough to know that there is plenty of fake stuff out there and that forgers have gotten great at finding ways to "age" ink and baseballs. I also would love any resources or suggestions on being able to do some additional research that I can provide to PSA/DNA to help solidify the authenticity if it truly is good.

Thanks a ton in advance. I can post additional pictures if need be, these are the 3 I have right now.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM

Default JimStinson

Based on the scan Looks GOOD to me
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Default JimStinson

And the Gehrig signature fits the 1920's time frame , is Giard and Grabowski on the ball ? On the other panels. Nice snag
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM

here are the two you asked about. Their autos aren't quite there, but I guess I would rather have a pretty good Ruth & Gehrig instead.

Giard

Grabowski
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM

It's definitely a 1927 ball.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM

Default JimStinson

Bingo !
Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

One heck of a find for a 1000.00.

Very nice.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Where do you live if you don't mind? Maybe CL people over there are of a new breed
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Craigslist is no different here, just got lucky.