NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
K!ya S@bet

Default Which would you prefer at a show?

A dealer who has firm "sticker prices" or no stickers and a dealer willing to negotiate?

I only ask because even though I am like bargaining for cards if there is no starting point on an item that I know less about then I am nervous to make an offer.

I also hate the "price is on the sticker" answer as well.

Last edited by ksabet; 02-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Jeff

I don't mind a sticker, in reality what it says has little to no bearing on what I am willing to pay.

However it does tell me alot about where their head is at, or stuck for that matter in some instances.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

I want a price visible. I will often move on unless the item is truly rare.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Andy Garden

It's kind of a bummer when I look at a dealer's case and he has more than a few cards I am interested in and I have to ask where he is at on each one when a sticker isn't there. Then again, maybe they aren't priced so the dealer forces a prospective buyer into conversation. I prefer the sticker for sure.

Best,

Andy
Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I also prefer to see a price. However, if it is a card I'm really interested in, I will ask the price before making any offer. I just don't feel I should need to hunt down the dealer or feel like I'm inconveniencing them to find out the price. Also, if it is a card from a set I'm not actively collecting, I won't bother asking for a price. But if the price is on the card and reasonable, I might consider it.

DJ
Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Bob Donaldson

99% of the time, if I see no stickers I keep walking.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Jason Wells

I like to have some type of starting price to look at.I dont like to make offers on cards with no prices but i have and usually have been happy with the results.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I get it

I get why dealers put their prices on the backs of cards (to start conversation and haggling) but I like prices on the front in clear view. That is how I always have my cards for sale in cases. I try to price them realistically to start with also. My motto is usually, some profit is better than no profit and I will almost always negotiate. Just my views....
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Stickers are just an absurdly high number where some buyers may need it for that price (not likely), but most are willing to haggle down to where both parties are comfortable in striking a deal, from my experiences at least.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Nick Edson

Default Stickers

I prefer stickers - and as a seller - if a prospective customer asks me about a certain card and I have room to negotiate I will tell them that right off the bat. It gives the customer and seller a comfort level to start with. I've done this at shows since 1972 when I learned from the best - Frank Nagy and the Detroit Gang.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM

I price is not marked clearly on the front I will walk by. Taking up too much time to ask the price of cards. With a sticker, you know if the dealer is pricing fairly and in your range. I always sticker my cards. (well, not the card, but the holder!).
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Rob Miller

I'd rather see a price. However if there is no price and it is something I really need I will stop and ask for a price.

It is amazing how many dealers I have run into that act inconvenienced when you ask them any questions.

Last edited by Robextend; 02-22-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Kiya,

Nice to see you still collecting!

James
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Ken McMillan

I don't mind sticker prices on cards as long as they are reasonable prices. If its a rediculously high price, I probably won't even start a conversation with the card owner. Just like buying a car that is priced too high at a dealership. Seems like a stupid game to play. Price it fairly and it will sell.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM

I prefer a sticker showing on the top.
Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Rich Klein

I prefer Stickers on cards with the prices. Lets me know that everyone has a fair shot. However, there are times, especially at a show such as the National a dealer may purchase cards during the show, put them out without prices. If almost all of their cards are priced and there is one or two exceptions, I might ask.

As a seller. I want to have a price on every card. My views are similar to Leon's

Rich
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Brian T.

I don't mind asking the price, but have to admit that there aren't too many cards that I am interested in at shows. It I were collecting something more common, I'd want to see the price.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I'd rather see a price. However if there is no price and it is something I really need I will stop and ask for a price.

It is amazing how many dealers I have run into that act inconvenienced when you ask them any questions.
This was why I asked the initial question. I, as many of you have stated, prefer stickers, but sometimes if you even hint at questioning the sticker price you are met with some serious attitude.

I guess it just depends on the dealer.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Kiya,

Nice to see you still collecting!

James
Thanks James,

Yeah one or two sets at a time. Sold my '38 Goudey now I am 70% finished with '52 Bowman Large at PSA 7-8 and trying to do a Mello-Mint set although I think it may take some time on this one.

Did you ever finish Tattoo Orbit?

Last edited by ksabet; 02-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

I finished it a couple of years back and then sold it. No longer actively collect which is just as well with a third child on the way.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I finished it a couple of years back and then sold it. No longer actively collect which is just as well with a third child on the way.
Congrats on the 3rd child. I hope to be at the National this year so maybe I will see you if you stop by.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Price the cards. I never stop at a table that doesn't have stuff priced unless it's very rare/unusual.

If you have fairly readily available cards, price them and price them at a reasonable market value.

Nothing worse than having to sift through a box of cards or see them in a display case and ask for a price on each one, especially if you're looking the price up in Becket. If you don't know what 59 Topps commons go for, or 33 Goudeys, don't sell them.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Stickers

For Topps and Bowman cards I like the stickers directly applied to the card...keeps the prices down
I'm doing low grade runs from 1950-80

For vintage cards I prefer to see a price, because if the dealer has xx on his sticker I realize he might go lower, but not 50% lower (usually )
No sense in insulting either one of us...if the sticker is way too high, pass on by!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I put price stickers on all of my cards, freely stating to prospective buyers that they are meant as a conversation starter. I think marked prices add a comfort level as it sets a ceiling, even if it is a bit on the high side. This is obviously so I have room to come down on price. Kind of a silly game some would say but everyone seems to want to play it.

As a buyer, I prefer marked prices and will normally just walk on by if there are none.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Prices

I've found that it doesn't matter what price I put on the cards because everyone will try to get it for less. If I mark a low grade T206 at $20 everyone will offer me $10 or $12. If I put a realistic price of $12 on the same card people will offer $8. So I mark the cards a little high - not a lot high- so I can "discount" it at the show.

I rarely sell anything at the marked price and I always let customers know that my prices are negotiable. I would rather make a small profit and turn over my inventory than to keep the same stuff at my table show after show. With many of my fellow dealers I know exactly what they are selling because they won't come down on their prices and they keep bringing the same stuff to every show.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Prices

I prefer to see a price on a sticker. I love the stickers that say "Book Price" and then "Your Price." Having the "Book Price" on the sticker saves me the time of looking up the price myself. The "Your Price" will tell me if the seller and I are in the same ballpark. For example, if I'm looking at a '56 Campanella in EX condition that has a "Book Price" of $100, then I know the "Your Price" should be in the $30-50 ballpark given the condition.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM

I set up at shows. I keep all of my cards priced with stickers.

1. I can deal with more than 1 customer without having to deal with the questions "how much is this card?"

2. I don't have to memorize the card prices or have the prices on a list behind the table
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Customers... fooey!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I love the stickers that say "Book Price" and then "Your Price." Having the "Book Price" on the sticker saves me the time of looking up the price myself.
Of course, it also depends on whose "book" the dealer is using as a source...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Huge preference for stickers. I am way more likely to linger if I see some numbers, even if they're higher than they should be.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Andy Davis

If I ask for the price on an unmarked card and they reach for "the book" that normally means no deal for me. When they do this it normally means that they don't have a clue what the card actually sells for. I've been to the last 3 Nationals and I've seen many dealers that have had the same inventory for all 3 shows. These guys really have no interest in selling anything so why bother?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
James Gallo

I price all my cards as it gives a starting point. I think the haggle is part of the business and generally if someone is actually interested in buying something and not just pricing it I will work with them as much as I can.

Come buy a bunch of stuff from me and I will be glad to work a deal. I also just love to talk cards so putting no prices is pointless.

As for bothering a dealer, I am never bothered but if a show is dead I am going to be on my phone:-D but will gladly put it down to help a customer....

James G
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Hank Thomas

I've never understood dealers who don't put prices on their stuff. I'd rather price my items when preparing for a show, when I have some time to think about it than try to wing it on the spot later. As a collector it always made me suspicious that the dealer was going to try to figure out how much of a sucker I was before he gave me a price. Like others here have said, I would just pass on by if there was no price unless I REALLY wanted an item that wasn't priced. Likewise putting prices on the back, obviously designed to create interaction with the customer so the dealer could give him a sales pitch. I've always thought that dealers who do these things are costing themselves sales.
Hank Thomas