NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default Thoughts, observations and opinions on the National

We've got a National pickups thread, a photos thread and another dedicated to "the meeting," but I thought it'd be appropriate to have a place for folks who were in Baltimore to chime in about anything they feel is relevant. I'll get the ball rolling:

The venue

Living in Ohio, I'm always happy when the National is in Cleveland, but even I have to acknowledge that the Baltimore Convention Center and its surroundings are a top-notch venue for a National.

The convention center itself easily is large enough, and the number of hotels in the immediate area is impressive. I stayed at the Hilton, which is connected by a walkway to the convention center. That might not sound like a big deal, but during the days when the temperature was in the mid 90s and the humidity heavy, it was nice. (I read a comment on the board that the walkway from the hotel to the convention center is "convoluted." True, you had to make a few turns, but if you were able to read and follow signs that read "Hotel" or "Baltimore Convention Center," I think you were OK.)

There seems to be a nice choice of restaurants immediately around the convention center, ranging from Subway and California Tortilla to Morton's. Within walking distance (maybe four or five blocks?) is the Inner Harbor area, which has a ton of eateries.

Finally, the area also is the home to Camden Yards, which, because the Orioles were in town, added to the buzz.

I can't emphasize enough how this contrasts to the IX Center in Cleveland, which seemingly is surrounded only by parking lots and industrial office space. I'd be bummed if Cleveland was taken out of the rotation, but honestly, it seemed to me that Baltimore lacks few things as a site. And my trip made me realize how lacking Cleveland is in some areas. Of course, I'm not a dealer, so perhaps those folks will have a different take.

Which leads me to:

The dealers

I think sometimes dealers get a bad rap. I know I wouldn't want to park myself behind a table for 4 1/2 days after shelling out money for a hotel, travel and meals. Too often the only comments you read about the majority of dealers are their lack of tact and overabundance of waistlines. Because I could stand to lose more than a few pounds, I'm not going to comment on the later, but as for the former ...

I was walking the floor Thursday morning at about 11 o'clock. I paused as a table where the dealer was complaining to another that "no one is here."

"I'm not setting up Sunday," he said. "It's dead. I've already started looking for an earlier flight."

Now, keep in mind that the show was about 5 hours old (Wednesday 4-8 p.m., and the show opened at 10 a.m. Thursday). I took a closer look at the dealer's table. None of the cards had prices on them, and to be honest, the cards he had weren't displayed well. There were stacks in locked showcases that seemed to have ho rhyme or reason. I spotted a T206 Lajoie (batting) in a PSA 2 holder. After standing there for a minute or two, alternating between looking at the Lajoie and trying to get the dealer's attention, he finally glanced my way. Then returned to his bitch session with his friend.

Finally, after I said, "Excuse me," he again looked my way.

"Could I see the T206 Lajoie?" I asked.

"It's $800," he replied.

Well, I hadn't asked about the price, but I figured at that amount the card must have a non-common back. Because no one would really expect to get $800 for a Lajoe in that condition, right?

"What's the back? Can I take a look?" I asked.

"The back?" he asked, clearly annoyed. "I don't know. Probably a Sweet Cap or Piedmont. You're not going to get a Hall of Famer with a Drum for $800, you know."

I instantly wished he had said this to Ted Z., only so he could receive a lecture that Lajoie with a bat isn't found with a Drum back. I smiled, said thanks and walked away.

Now, granted, this was one disappointing guy in a sea of great guys. Most dealers I interacted with were pleasant and nice to talk to. And most I heard commenting about this National had positive things to say. I guess my word of caution would be not to take the word of just one dealer whether a venue is a good one. I don't think the dealer mentioned above could sell the cure for AIDS, so the fact he wanted to make an early exit means little to me.

Yes, the prices marked on cards were high. And if you didn't realize that counteroffers are the rule rather than the exception, you might have felt intimidated by the numbers. But, to me, negotiation is all part of going to a show in person. In fact, it can be one of the better parts.

Enough of my ramblings. Please share your thoughts on Baltimore.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Johnny S

It was my first national so I have no idea what to go by but glad to hear so many say it was a success. I was also wondering what dealers thought as far as attendance and sales. One concern many dealers had was the early closing at 6, on thursday the show seemed to really be buzzing around 3 and on and then all of a sudden they say the show will be closing. It was real slow until the afternoon, some said that they wished it was open 10-8 or even 11-8 or 9 so those driving in from around the area or working could attend. I thought the location was perfect, accross the street from one of the nicest stadiums in baseball and a few blocks from the inner harbor had everything you needed right there. Going to the Orioles game was a blast. It is always fun to be right downtown and this was no exception. The real fun part of the show was meeting all the fellow collectors, many from net54, a couple from my old days in MN and some really nice dealers with incredible cards and the great people at SGC. It was really cool to be in an atmosphere where everyone was a card junkie !! Chicago 2011 !!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM
T0dd M@rcum

We only did Saturday, but had an outstanding time. We stayed in Columbia (about 20 minutes away) and got a nice hotel that comfortably accommodated 4 for $89 a night.

I enjoyed the looking at the national...selection was outstanding...wasn't all that impressed by the prices, though I did spend all the money I brought. I think the National is a great looking show while smaller venues like Cincy and Chantilly (still relatively large shows) are better buying venues for the collectors.

Dealers were a mixed bag. Attendance seemed fine to good...it's just not 1990 and it never will be again.

The manufacturers have gotten the show biz down.

I liked Baltimore as a combination of everything...access to east coast collector base, easy travel access, major league baseball, etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Thoughts, observations and opinions on the National

Rob,
I missed you in Baltimore. We were set up at booth 1005. Completely agree on most of what you said about Baltimore. Great city, beautiful convention center and ball park, manageable traffic and a wide variety of restaurants and hotels. A far better venue than Cleveland (sorry) and even Chicago. I thought the crowds were pretty good, though the economy seemed to dampen enthusiasm for higher valued cards. We had a pretty good show (including Sunday) both buying and selling. And, as always, it was great to see folks I only get to see once a year.

There will always be dealers who lay the blame for their poor results at the feet of the promoter/venue/economy or anything other than their own laziness or incompetence. And yes, some of them could use a Vic Tanney's job as well. I think I'll run an extra mile tomorrow to keep myself off that list.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my take

My take on the show, as a dealer, collector, friend etc.....

As a dealer- I sold about a medium amount of stuff. The show did in fact start slowly the first day or so, sales-wise, but picked up nicely the following days. I managed to pick up a very nice "walk in" group of cards. I know other dealers that picked up really, really nice walk ins. I would say the walk ins were better at this show than most previous ones I have been to. (I have been to 8-10 Nationals.. in a row) My first two significant buys were from my two table partners. To not break protocol I will be posting those in the National pickup thread, sometime today. Be forewarned that I am teetering on one of the cards either being an upgrade for me or a resale item. It will NOT be for sale real soon though. I thought the venue was fine, but I am easy. Everybody talks about all of the surrounding things to do etc... For me, it's all about the show. It could be in the Mojave Desert and I would be fine with it as long as there is air conditioning, tables and a roof over my head.

As a collector- I thought it was a good show.....see pick up thread sometime today. One thing though....I was so busy doing a multitude of things that, for the first time, I didn't get a chance to go and walk to every single table. I thought there was a lot of vintage and haggling was the word of the day. I would usually start my offers at 50% of asking price and made some deals in that range. Some dealers would only come off of their high prices by a few bucks and those are probably the ones that didn't have a good show.

As a friend - I want to thank everyone that was so nice and came up to me and introduced themselves. I literally must have had over 100 forum members, many I didn't know or hadn't met before, come up and thank me for putting up with moderating . As I told them....I can handle the bit of antagonism, sarcasm and idiocy as long as I still enjoy doing it. When I don't enjoy it anymore then I will not do it anymore. Everyone I met was gracious and nice. I did go to the 2 live auctions and they went off without a hitch. I won something for myself (mostly for resale) in the Heritage Platinum auction and won something for a friend in the Legendary Live Auction. For some reason, at both auctions, someone should have told maintenance to turn on the air conditioners. It was either hot in the rooms or I am just getting fat and can't maintain. I hope it's the former!!! ALL of the Net54 pins were given out and everyone seemed to appreciate them. Thanks again to our member, Chris Lamb, for doing that. It really was a nice gesture. (insert sarcasm if you would like to, I choose to keep it friendlier)

I decided not to attend the 2nd "Clean up the hobby with an Association" meeting, though I was heavily persuaded to. I question the motives of the members organizing it. I forget the very famous person who said it but the phrase "I would never want to be part of an organization that would let me be a member" seemed to ring true. I predict a loud thud from all of that. I understood there to be about 25 attendees in the first meeting. Everyone there, I was told, was instructed to bring back as many people/dealers/auctioneers as they could for the next one. The total attendence for the second one (I am told) was an underwhelming (approx) 30 people. I think that number is very telling.

I might think of more later but to sum it up I had a great time and am looking forward to next year already. It was great NOT to be on the board for 5 days, not have a computer with me and not even return a few phone calls. I was in my own collecting world. I will be returning calls today. Thanks again for all of the hospitality and warmth. The hobby is still a very fun and exciting place and, imo, thriving very much.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM

I too thought it was a great venue. Stayed in the Days Inn that was advertised as being a block away from the convention center, but was really right across the street. Every dealer I interacted with was polite. And I agree with all the great things said about the neighborhood around the convention center. One thing that did strike me, and it has nothing to do with the show itself, is how much wasted space there is on the second floor of that convention center.

Greg
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Barry Sloate

Groucho Marx said it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 AM

My experience was very similuar to Rob's. As a matter of fact one of my highlights was meeting Rob (by accident) and discussing Lajoie cards. As a matter of fact almost everyone that I had a meaningful conversation with at the National turned out to be a Net54er. We usually didn't figure that out until the end of the conversation. It was great to see the passion for collecting from some younger guys like Tony Arnold and John Spano who also are on this board. The hobby only will stay strong if there is new blood comming up that has the same passion that we veterns have had for so many years. I think most of us go to this convention once a year just to confirm that there are others out there who are just as "nuts" about collecting little peices of cardboard as we are. Most of the people in our day to day lives can't understand why we spend so much time on collecting this stuff and its nice to be in a room with thousands of others who do the same thing all year long.

The Dealers

I agree completely with what Rob said. As a collector I like to see things priced and somewhat organized in the cases. Instead of focusing on some of the grouchy (and there were quite a few of them) unorganized dealers, I'll mention one that did a nice job.

I thought Bill Latzko (as an example) did a nice job at his table. The focus of what he was selling was T206's and T205's with a few other pre-war cards sprinkled in. He had everything marked and also had an excell spread sheet with prices for each card available. He was always at his table (don't know if he ever went to the bathroom or ate) and focused on the customer whenever they were standing at his table. He also had a "pre-set" amount he would discount his card when asked and would explain why he couldn't "move" any lower on particular cards. My guess is that he sold alot of cards during the week because of the time he spent with his customers.

I saw the same pattern with Tony A., Wayne Varner, Memory Lane, etc all week. Those tables had big crowds around them most of the time. The common thread for the crowded tables was the way the guy behind the table treated the customer.

Anyway, had a great time and found some E cards that I was looking for. Can't wait until Chicago next year!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Great line. Similar logic to one of the great passages from Catch-22.

I wan't to marry you, but I can't.
Why not?
Because you're crazy.
Why am I crazy?
Because you want to marry me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one other thing.....

On the "friend" side of the above equation I forgot to mention that I met Jim Crandall (previously had never really spoken with him in person) and we had a few very nice conversations. He really is a nice guy but just collects differently than many of us. His passion and enthusiasm for the hobby is very refreshing. I hope to get to know him better in the future and I DO think he will make his way to this board again.

ON a similar note, and sort of funny/ironic was my first conversation with him. I had only met Jim once before, at a National and a few years ago. IN that respect I really didn't even remember what he looked like. So he walks up to my table...was talking with a few folks and I heard he was Jim Crandall. I introduced myself and we really had a very pleasant conversation. After a few minutes he asked if I had seen David Akatz at the show. I had never met David before, and certainly not that day, so said "no". Right then David walked up and introduced himself to me. I think I introduced them to each other...they were pleasant to each other and Jim walked away 2 seconds later. Needless to say there was a tiny bit of tension in the air for a few seconds. It was all ok and both gentelmen (Hi David) are nice guys, in my book.

Last edited by Leon; 08-09-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Hank Thomas

Default Great National!

Although I'm a memorabilia dealer, not a card guy, I'm so anxious to bestow praises on this show that I'm going to weigh in here anyway. It was just an outstanding show for me in so many ways I almost don't know where to start. Because it's why we're there, I'll begin with the fact that both I and my boothmate, Kevin Keating of Quality Autographs of Virginia, had the best national in terms of sales of the six nationals we've done so far since 2005. Then there's the fact that we both live about 45 minutes away, could sleep in our own beds every night, and didn't have the usual $1,000 or so in hotel, meals, travel, and other expenses. We found the facility to be topnotch except for the rather paltry concessions available. (I brought my own food after the first day.) Loading in and out was amazingly easy, especially for a center city facility we thought would be a nightmare. And on top of that, as we were leaving, EVERY ONE of the workers guiding our vehicles out of the building THANKED us for coming and said they hoped to see us again soon. That's a first! Believe me, I thanked every one of them. The crowds were terrific, and if what I saw and heard about from other dealers is any indication, I'm expecting to see big economic numbers coming out this fall for the 3rd quarter. There were also great east coast vintage dealers set up here who won't travel to the farther-away nationals. I've been saying for 20 years that if they ever put a national in one of the big east coast cities (no, Atlantic City doesn't count), they would be amazed at the turnout of collectors and the amount of money spent. The national honchos are going to vote soon between Atlantic City (!) and Baltimore for three years from now, and if they don't pick Baltimore I will protest by boycotting the show. If you liked this show, I would urge you to contact the national board and tell them so.
Hank Thomas
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default National

Great show, Baltimore harbor is an excellent location. And, it was really great meeting, talking, and exchanging vintage BB cards
for other cards (or Ben Franklin's and U. S. Grant's) with Net54er's.

Mark Macrae, Sal Dischera, Jay and I caught the Thurs nite game at Camden Yards (Angels vs Orioles). Fellow Greek (Markakis)
hit a long HR to CF to give the Orioles an early lead. The Angels tied the score in the late innings. And, in the bottom of the 9th
the Angels pulled a shift that is not often seen to prevent the Orioles from scoring. The Orioles loaded up the bases with 2 outs.
A left batter was at bat. The Angels' pitcher was throwing "heat" (near 100 MPH). So, the Angels brought their RFer into the in-
field dirt. They stationed 3 fielders between 1st & 2nd base.
The lefty batter hit the ball straight down the middle to drive in the winning Run. You would of thought that the Angels, with 5
guys playing between 1st & 3rd bases, would have stationed one of them right at 2nd base ?

Anyhow, we got our money's worth for our $54 (excellent field level seats between Home and 3rd base).

I'm looking forward to future shows at the Baltimore Convention Center....it's an easy 2 hour train ride for me.

TED Z
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I agree that Baltimore was a great place for the National for all the reasons Rob brought up. I think the purpose of any Natioanl location should be the proximity to the airport and trains, which Baltimore had. As noted above as well, however, in some instances such a location leaves visitors far from the decent parts of the host city. This is not the case in Baltimore.

As for the material presented, I was a bit disappointed. I found a bunch of stuff I liked enough to buy but I felt that there was not a plethora of unusual, one-of-a-kind cards to be had. Perhaps I was too optimistic.

I've only been to two shows so I'm clearly not used to the deceptive practices of dealers and there was plenty to be had at the National. Lies about cost of cards to the dealers abounded; and it wasn't like I would ask a dealer for this information as it's really not relevant. Instead, they would offer it in an attempt to explain why the prices were so high. Many of the prices were just insanely high. For example, I saw a Dietsche Cobb batting in PSA 6; I bought this card for $1100 (admittedly low) on ebay about a year or so ago. It was 4K at the National. You can obviously haggle on any price but when the starting price is 400% more than the card is worth, there's no point to even start a discussion.

What I did learn which worked very well with dealers is to literally take the Benjamins out and show them to the dealers while haggling. For what it's worth, I never seek to get a price on a card below market value so perhaps this is why my method worked well. But three times I got shot down on more than fair offers for cards; a few hours later I walked back literally waving the Benjys in the dealers' faces. They are apparently physically unable to let customers walk away with a stack of hundreds waving in their face and each time gave me the card (faux grudgingly, of course) at the price they previously refused.

I had some nice discussions with people there, especially Terrible Ted, Bill Latzko and Dan McKee and some Net 54 members. And it's great to be immersed in cards for a couple days.

My funniest interraction at the National, however, had to be meeting this one skinny bald dude who was looking all over the place for a 1976 Kurt Bevacqua Topps card (blowing that huge bubble) in PSA 9. I hope he had some backup plans at the show because I don't think he had much luck.

Last edited by calvindog; 08-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Groucho and Me:

"Some years ago, after considerable urging, I consented to join a prominent theatrical organization. By an odd coincidence, it was called the Delaney Club.... The first night I went there, I found thirty-two fellows playing gin rummy with marked cards, five members shooting loaded dice on a suspiciously bumpy carpet and four members in separate phone booths calling women who were other members' wives.

A few nights later the club had a banquet.... That particular night I was sitting next to a barber who had cut me many times., both socially and with a razor. At one point he looked slowly around the room, then turned to me and said, "Groucho, we're certainly getting a lousy batch of new members!"

I chose to ignore this remark and tried talking to him about Chaucer, Ruskin and Shakespeare, but he had switched to denouncing electric razors as a death blow to the tonsorial arts, so I dried up and resumed drinking, The following morning I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

Lovely Day...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Scott S

Although I had a great time, there were a couple of things which bugged me about the National. Nothing specific to the National, since they happen at all shows, but it seemed to be a constant.
- Some dealers really need to learn some customer service skills. I could count on my fingers the number of dealers who would greet me as I looked at their items at the table. Do they realize people are more likely to look a bit more if you have a smile or a welcoming remark?
- Can dealers learn to put prices on a card that is visible? Even if it is 3x what I want to pay, I honestly am more apt to look twice at the card with a price. On the front.
- For dealers who leave the table for extended periods, leaving a wife or someone who is unfamiliar with prices of items, you NEED to mark items with prices, rather than having the person tell the customer to come back later. This happened several times to me – I saw something of interest, asked how much it was, the person looked and saw no price, and told me to come back later when so-and-so was back at the table. At a venue like the National, there is a Blutarsky-esque 0.0% chance of me finding or wanting to return to that table later.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
- Can dealers learn to put prices on a card that is visible? Even if it is 3x what I want to pay, I honestly am more apt to look twice at the card with a price. On the front.
I think dealers feel that if the price is on the back then you will have to ask and then be able to work something out. It sort of bugs me too. All of my cards had prices on the front. I don't think I saw another dealer with them on the front!! It just makes more sense to me but to each his own. AND I did remember what has been said on the board and tried to acknowledge and say hi to each and everyone looking at my cases. See, voicing your opinion does help.

Another short, sort of amusing story. I was in a hotel lobby watching 4 guys opening newer packs of cards...from the 70's to 90's. I am interested in all facets of the hobby so walked up and asked them several questions about what they were doing and why. They said they liked opening packs they opened as kids and were looking to pull 8's and better to help pay/offset their costs. It looked like they were having fun so what's not to like? One of the guys asked, "aren't you Leon?" from Net54. I said yes and then every one of the four said they know of me and read the board. Most of them read it daily. I think more people read the board than we even know.....
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

It's funny...I think you have to go organized or totally not. I don't know how many of you guys know Chandy Greenholt, one of my favorite guys in the hobby...but the man basically pulls in a dumptruck load of stuff and has collectors go at it...and they seem to love it...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Danny Smith

I thought the show was a blast. Great selection of vintage cards and autos. Picked up a bunch of key pieces to the sets I was working on at fair prices. My wife and i got to meet some new folks from the board and also catch up with old friends. I too would vote for Baltimore as the permanent East Coast location in the rotation with Cleveland and Chicago. I was totally bummed when I heard they were even considering Atlantic City again.

All in all I had a ton of fun and picked up some cool cards and autos.
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Amen Scooter. This has always bothered me. That way I can at least know if I am in the ballpark with my offer.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM

I think it was a great National and Baltimore is very enjoyable location.

I am kind of amazed that there is so much in such a such small area. The hotel / the ball park / the convention center / the aquarium / inner harbor / etc.... all within steps of each other. Thats pretty cool - and I think that makes Baltimore a great place for any convention. Whoever plans those things out did a great job.

Leon - we are on different sides of the fence on the 'its all about the show' opinion. For me, the stuff outside (dinner and drinks with friends / ballgame / etc.) is what makes the whole trip worthwhile. Its less about the show to me - and more about the time spent with friends. I very much enjoyed sharing a few drinks with you at the lounge. I look forward to the next time we get to belly up to the bar again.

I met so many friends I only knew by name or handle or icon - and it was great to break bread with them and enjoy some laughs.

As far as the cards -
My collecting focus has changed a bit - - - so I didn't have much in the way of expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at the items offered and am very happy with the items I was able to pick up (mostly golf cards). I didn't run into any 'jerky' dealers. Actually quite the opposite - - - I thought most everyone behind the tables were very nice.

I like Chicago a little bit better (just a bias / love for the city of Chicago).... but I have to give Baltimore an A + for venue.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Daryl

Default Great first national for me

I had a great time at my first national. Got to meet several Net54ers (Leon, Ted, Josh, Bill, Dave), met Brian Cataquet, went to the PSA luncheon, picked up a few T206s, went to the Thursday night Orioles game, and ate some fine crab cakes at Phillips.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
It's funny...I think you have to go organized or totally not. I don't know how many of you guys know Chandy Greenholt, one of my favorite guys in the hobby...but the man basically pulls in a dumptruck load of stuff and has collectors go at it...and they seem to love it...
Was Chandy the guy with the pile of cards in the middle of a table, anything for $1? I've never seen anything like that at a card show--all loose, just jumbled up, cards, postcards, Exhibits, anything you can imagine. People were rooting through that pile like the sale table at WalMart the day after Thanksgiving.

Bill
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Yankeefan51

Default When It Was A Hobby

When It Was A Hobby

This was our 16th National Convention. However, it was our first convention in nearly five years. During that time, we had two major battles with a life-threatening illness, a personal family tragedy, and a key employee who stole a great of money from one of the firm’s accounts. Thanks to a group of incredible doctors and nurses, and the support our friends, we are well on the road to recovery. The employee is under investigation, and is likely to be “out of touch for several years to come.

We always enjoy the NATIONAL because it provides us with the opportunity to catch up with dealers and collectors with whom we have corresponded or worked over the past three decades.

Without going into all the old stories when one could buy 100 T202’s in excellent to mint to near mint condition for $400 or THE NATIONAL where we purchased a Just So (now graded 6) from Bill Mastro for $1000, we recognize that skyrocketing prices, highly visible public auctions and the transparency provided by the Internet and services like Vintage Card Prices make it unlikely that an exceptionally rare, graded baseball card would be sold rather than auctioned.

We did manage to acquire three cards for America’s Toughest Want List as well as two extraordinary pieces of memorabilia.
We enjoyed the show because it reminded us of the days when it was a hobby. While Goody Goldfaden, Frank Nagy, Buck Barker and others are only distant memories, it was great to see a few legendary collectors like John Rumeriz.

We have loved this hobby for more than three decades. Although we collect a old cardboard, we appreciate that the market will continue to evolve. We accept and embrace that fact.

However, two days at the NATIONAL did remind us of how much fun we had when “it was a hobby.”

Bruce Dorskind
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
America's Toughest Want List
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Todd Schultz

Default All good here

VENUE
I was very impressed with Baltimore and the venue, having never seen either before. It was my favorite of the National venues I've visited thus far, and although as a city Chicago may have more going for it, Baltimore had so much right there within walking distance that you would have to make an effort to have a bad time. I stayed at the Sheraton, about a 50 yard catwalk to the Convention Center. It was about a block from the Inner Harbor, with plenty of restaurants (Morton's was in my hotel), bars and shops, where they had outdoor live music on Saturday and throngs of folks just strolling around---nice police presence too. A little more than a block the other way was Camden Yards (the Hilton is closer), where I took in a game Friday night and part of a game Thursday--we went on a whim and paid a $10 "late arrival" charge to see the game from the bottom of the 6th to the end. It was 0-0 when we were buying our tix and ended 5-4, so plenty of action. I spent about 20 hours at the Show throughout my stay, and wanted to do other things. Surely there is so much more in the surrounding area, but even the few square blocks where I went were well worthwhile. Also, there were at least a half dozen hotels within walking distance of the convention cnter. Bring it on back here again, I say.

Board members

I really enjoyed meeting several board members and reacquainting with others. Time was too short as always, but I got to knock back a few plus a few more and then some more at the Hilton after the Friday night game, where I shot the breeze with a dozen or so of you all. Wouldn't mind the return of the Net54 board dinner though, hint hint.

Show/Dealers

I thought the show was about the same as the other Nationals I've attended. There was a lot of ebay inventory present and not marked down. Prices were high to ridiculous for the most part, and haggling was expected. One guy actually raised his price on a Roush I wanted--on Sunday no less. Action built up every day until Sunday, by which time many dealers had left as is SOP. There were plenty of items to look at, and it's always cool to take a gander at the very high end stuff and full/near set lots that are part of the upcoming auctions. My purchases were not numerous and I bought no collection centerpiece, but I was pleased overall with what I snagged.

One story that amused me. I found a stack of low-mid grade m101 blank and common backs, all slabbed. Only one card was not marked, a common player with Standard Biscuit back graded SGC 50. This card should go in the $100-$120 range, give or take. Anyway, when I asked the seller for a price, he looked it over and said $120. I took out the cash and paid him, then hovered around. The three "sellers" behind the table immediately huddled and whispered, then reached for a SCD big book. I stood nearby with a slight smirk on my face, as it appeared to me that they were worried they had been taken on some difficult variation that they let go cheap. One of them looked at me and then seemed even more troubled by my smile- I mean I hadn't asked for the obligatory 10-20% discount- and I don't think they could remember the player on the card to even look him up properly. Now that transaction probably cost me $10-15 by not haggling, but the experience itself was priceless.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-09-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Brandon Bailey

I thought the National was Great! Been to 5, 93,94,95,03, and this year and I feel as far as location and proximity to other things, Camden Yards, Food, Aquarium, Museums, etc. This was the best. If you took your family like I did, there was plenty to keep them as occupied as I was at the Show, and then we all went to the O's games every night. Show was great and if you looked around you could find real bargains. It was also nice to see Boog Powell walking around and looking at some of the tables. I hope it returns to Baltimore in the future.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
One story that amused me. I found a stack of low-mid grade m101 blank and common backs, all slabbed. Only one card was not marked, a common player with Standard Biscuit back graded SGC 50. This card should go in the $100-$120 range, give or take. Anyway, when I asked the seller for a price, he looked it over and said $120. I took out the cash and paid him, then hovered around. The three "sellers" behind the table immediately huddled and whispered, then reached for a SCD big book. I stood nearby with a slight smirk on my face, as it appeared to me that they were worried they had been taken on some difficult variation that they let go cheap. One of them looked at me and then seemed even more troubled by my smile- I mean I hadn't asked for the obligatory 10-20% discount- and I don't think they could remember the player on the card to even look him up properly. Now that transaction probably cost me $10-15 by not haggling, but the experience itself was priceless.
Great story! I can totally see that happening and I picture it with the same amusement you had.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
Was Chandy the guy with the pile of cards in the middle of a table, anything for $1? I've never seen anything like that at a card show--all loose, just jumbled up, cards, postcards, Exhibits, anything you can imagine. People were rooting through that pile like the sale table at WalMart the day after Thanksgiving.

Bill
That is signature Chandy...he is a hoot. I always try to catch him in Chantilly. He is an absolute prince of a guy, never haggles, but hard to get to talk to because his table is ALWAYS busy.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I've bought so much stuff from Chandy over the years on ebay I'd love to meet him. It's amazing some of the stuff he finds out there on the east coast that fits my collection.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Scott Levy

Dad (Hank) and I both agreed that this was probably the most fun that we've had collecting and sharing our cards in years.

While my primary motivation was simply to share our collection with whomever would spend a few moments to look, there were so many collectors looking for raw vintage cards that it was virtually impossible not to make quite a few sales.

I also found quite a few great cards floating around and couldn't resist picking up of couple of them.

Thanks to everyone that stopped by to say hi. I hope that another National comes to the East Coast in the near future.

Best Regards,
Scott
Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Daryl

Anyone else see any cards that remain on eBay even though you bought them at the National?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I spent a while digging gold at Chandy's buck-a-rama. Fun stuff.

I'd say the show was on par with Chicago except that I did enjoy Chicago's restaurants more, and getting to Chicago was easier for me than getting to Baltimore. However, if the choice is Baltimore or Cleveland, Baltimore is my preference, hands down.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I spent a while digging gold at Chandy's buck-a-rama. Fun stuff.

I'd say the show was on par with Chicago except that I did enjoy Chicago's restaurants more, and getting to Chicago was easier for me than getting to Baltimore. However, if the choice is Baltimore or Cleveland, Baltimore is my preference, hands down.

LOL! Wasn't it a year ago that someone called you, (and I quote):

"WOW!! MR. High End Millionare dealer/collector/pompus ass. The National is'nt all about you megabuck nerds. You got some big stones calling the I-X a dump. "

And you're still crapping on Cleveland!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 PM

I enjoyed the show in every respect in the ways that people mentioned: nice venue, good location (within Baltimore), good layout, etc. The only drawback for me and others from the west coast was the long distance to get there. The best part is always hanging out with hobby friends. I just hope they don't make us do it in Cleveland again.
JimB
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I'm glad this was addressed, but I am sure it will do no good but my biggest pet peeve is the hassle it seems for some dealers to open the case, flip over the card and hand me the card all the while wondering why this person is so out of touch with what the actual value of the card is. How about you price just one card in your cabinet and then I can get an idea of how goofy you are.

I enjoyed the show, but it was more about meeting the people. Had a great time meeting many Forum members including Foreveryoung, the artist, Philnap, a few cherished seconds with the main man here and I'm not sure if she's a member, but Brittany. Show was as expected, but seemed larger, even though the tables have been reduced from past years. Must have been some kind of illusion. Enjoyed chilling in the Harbor and taking a break from the show and choosing decent food at the same price as the convention floor grub.

DanC
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Just an FYI, because it likely will be asked:

2011: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

2012: International Exposition (I-X) Center; Cleveland, OH

2013: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

2014: TBD

2015: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post

2011: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

2012: International Exposition (I-X) Center; Cleveland, OH

2013: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

2015: Donald E Stephens Convention Center; Rosemont, Ill.

Isn't this where somebody starts complaining because it's never in Nashville, Tulsa, or Portland?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Peter F

Default My First National Since Parsippany

It's true. I was ready with my list of t206's needed and a keen eye for interesting vintage and was not dissappointed. But since I've been away from the hobby for a while I have a question maybe you can help me with...

what are those ridiculous plastic things surrounding almost every vintage card I saw? They were really weird. Did anyone else notice them?

No but seriously, I do want to say one thing - what are those ridiculous plastic -

A great show. Nice mix of old and older. I hope every vintage collector enjoyed Glenn from New Jersey's table - OMG - beautiful cards, never before seen RPPC of Honus Wagner and amazing memorabilia too. My favorite booth.

Second favorite - The Sporting News archives - thanks to someone who posted (I'm paraphrasing) "don't be afraid to offer lower prices". I did and got a few beauties. I could have spent another 3-4 hours there. Did anyone buy the Goose Goslin photo from about 1965 looking forlorn? I took the one of him grinning widely instead.

and lastly - no one told me about Richard Mason's book on old judge cards (I'm a lurker so I'm saying it in jest) I now know what I need to read before jumping into Old Judge HOFers.

Good stuff. Hope you got to see Boog too.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Another short, sort of amusing story. I was in a hotel lobby watching 4 guys opening newer packs of cards...from the 70's to 90's. I am interested in all facets of the hobby so walked up and asked them several questions about what they were doing and why. They said they liked opening packs they opened as kids and were looking to pull 8's and better to help pay/offset their costs. It looked like they were having fun so what's not to like? One of the guys asked, "aren't you Leon?" from Net54. I said yes and then every one of the four said they know of me and read the board. Most of them read it daily. I think more people read the board than we even know.....
Thanks for the mention Leon, I was wondering if our meeting would make the board!!! I could tell that you are sincere about everyone enjoying the hobby in their own way. Plus how often can you get both bar servers to try a piece of 1970's Topps gum!

I'm from Cleveland, so I'm partial to having it in the rotation. Baltimore was great in every aspect, except the lighting inside the center seemed a bit rough to me. The location was perfect, with the hotel proximity, ballpark, and surrounding attractions.

Mike
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Rich Klein

Default The dealers at the show

[QUOTE=Rob D.;828129]Just an FYI, because it likely will be asked:

Were presented a choice between Baltimore and Atlantic City.
My advice to them --- please make the right choice and return to Baltimore

Rich

Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

rich,
i agree

[QUOTE=Rich Klein;828181]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post

Were presented a choice between Baltimore and Atlantic City.
My advice to them --- please make the right choice and return to Baltimore

Rich

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
LOL! Wasn't it a year ago that someone called you, (and I quote):

"WOW!! MR. High End Millionare dealer/collector/pompus ass. The National is'nt all about you megabuck nerds. You got some big stones calling the I-X a dump. "

And you're still crapping on Cleveland!
Well, facts are facts. The IX is a dump. A toilet. A trash heap. Feel free to insert additional derogatory terms here:__________. That said, stating a preference for Baltimore over Cleveland is hardly taking a crap on Cleveland (and that would be redundant anyway). Though now that I think of it, the mistake by the lake remains the worst venue of any I've attended.

What do you call a good looking woman in Cleveland? Tourist.

On a flight to Chicago the pilot comes on and says "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have bad weather over Chicago and we have to divert to Cleveland." A drunk in theback says "Cleveland? I'd rather crash in Chicago than land in Cleveland."

True Story I: the mayor once set his hair on fire twice while trying to cut a ribbon with a blowtorch at a bridge dedication.

True Story II: The same mayor’s wife turned down an invitation to dinner at the White House because it conflicted with her bowling night.

What’s the difference between Cleveland and the Titanic? Cleveland has the better orchestra.

The National Basketball Association’s Cleveland Cavaliers have existed for 40 years and have never won a championship.

There was actually a tornado in Cleveland last week. Destroyed an entire city block. 3 bowling alleys, a liquor store, and the liquor store museum.

Anyone who falls into the Cuyahoga does not drown," Cleveland's citizens joke grimly. "He decays."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Matt Hall

Will the national ever be back on the west coast again? I was only 11 yrs old when I went to my one and only National. I don't think it's ever been back to Los Angeles, although I wasn't paying much attention in my teenage years.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 PM

I grew up in the Baltimore area and used to attend shows in and around Baltimore in the 1980's and 1990's. None of the shows were really that successful. Baltimore had never been a great sports card show city. This was, of course, before the inner harbor area was transformed to the downtown that it is today.

When I found out the National was coming to Baltimore this summer, I was delighted, but was very skeptical that it would be a success. I thought transportation issues, parking, etc,... was going to be problematic. I didn't think attendance would be that good. I am very happy to say that I was absolutely wrong. This National in Baltimore was a huge success. Period.

The Baltimore Convention Center turned out to be a wonderful venue. There was actually additional space (another room in fact), to the left of the main entrance, for more booths. As mentioned earlier, the venue is very close to the Orioles ballpark as well as the inner harbor shops & restaurants. There is public transportation readily available and parking near the convention center, while a little expensive, is readily available. There are also enough activities for mom & the kids to do while dad is at the show.

Some dealers (vintage thru shiny stuff) that I spoke to said their sales were "decent". Some said "good' and a few others said "great".

I had a fantastic time !!! This was one of, if not the most enjoyable Nationals that I have ever attended. I'm glad that I was there Wed. thru Sat. It was really nice meeting/seeing many Net54 members as well as meeting some other longtime hobby collectors at the show and at the dinners after the show.

Alan
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, facts are facts. The IX is a dump. A toilet. A trash heap. Feel free to insert additional derogatory terms here:__________. That said, stating a preference for Baltimore over Cleveland is hardly taking a crap on Cleveland (and that would be redundant anyway). Though now that I think of it, the mistake by the lake remains the worst venue of any I've attended.

What do you call a good looking woman in Cleveland? Tourist.

On a flight to Chicago the pilot comes on and says "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have bad weather over Chicago and we have to divert to Cleveland." A drunk in theback says "Cleveland? I'd rather crash in Chicago than land in Cleveland."

True Story I: the mayor once set his hair on fire twice while trying to cut a ribbon with a blowtorch at a bridge dedication.

True Story II: The same mayor’s wife turned down an invitation to dinner at the White House because it conflicted with her bowling night.

What’s the difference between Cleveland and the Titanic? Cleveland has the better orchestra.

The National Basketball Association’s Cleveland Cavaliers have existed for 40 years and have never won a championship.

There was actually a tornado in Cleveland last week. Destroyed an entire city block. 3 bowling alleys, a liquor store, and the liquor store museum.

Anyone who falls into the Cuyahoga does not drown," Cleveland's citizens joke grimly. "He decays."

Oh... I wasn't disagreeing with you.

By the way, that tornado... it did $30 million worth of improvements!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Will the national ever be back on the west coast again? I was only 11 yrs old when I went to my one and only National. I don't think it's ever been back to Los Angeles, although I wasn't paying much attention in my teenage years.

It was held in Anaheim back in 2006
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 AM

Though may not be a possibility, being a Floridian my whole life(deep south of Miami), would be nice to have a show in the lower South East some time. I went to the Show in Atlanta in 1993 and I thought it was great, though I was alot younger then.
I thought this show was really good though, just kind of far for me.

Frank
Old 08-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Jason

Default Leon,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
On the "friend" side of the above equation I forgot to mention that I met Jim Crandall (previously had never really spoken with him in person) and we had a few very nice conversations. He really is a nice guy but just collects differently than many of us. His passion and enthusiasm for the hobby is very refreshing. I hope to get to know him better in the future and I DO think he will make his way to this board again.
is there a reason Jim no longer posts here?...I have missed his contributions and wondered why I no longer see him on here...
JasonL
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 AM
T!M R10rd@n

As a father, husband and collector, I absolutely LOVED The National. It had everything that I needed.

We, my wife, 16YO son and I, got to Baltimore on Sunday and spent the entire week there, leaving again on Sunday. My truck was parked for 7 days straight, as once we arrived there was no need for it. Everything necessary for a family vacation was within a couple of blocks or a water taxi ride away.

We spent Monday through Wednseday doing the touristy things, like the National Aquarium and the whole Inner Harobor waterfornt thing. we took the water taxi around the harbor for a leisurely afternoon, spending a little time at the shops in Fells Point.

Hit an O's game? Again, just a walk of a couple of blocks.

When it came time for The National, staying at the Sheraton, it was just a very short walk to the convetnion center. If my 16YO wanted to sleep in, he simply met up with me later. Come lunch time, a couple of minutes back to the hotel to meet my wife for lunch. Want a few beers with lunch? Not a problem becaue I wasn't going to be driving anywhere anyway, but rather walking a few minutes back to the convention center. I bet my hotel room was closer than I would have parked at some other venues. It was just real convenient.

I really did enjoy parking the truck once and not driving the rest of the week.

It reminded me of a song from The Lion King. Hakuna Matata! It means no worries for the rest of your days.

The only negative thing about the actual convention center is that the food choices were a little limited if you didn't want to leaed the center, and no tables and chairs near the food.

There were some dealers that I thought had ridiculous prices on cards, but I found several that had reasonable prices MARKED and reduced from there before even asking, and when asked you could negotiate an even better deal, particulalry once they knew it would be a cash deal. FYI, my focus was primarily towards completing my '58 Topps set.

I hope to make 1 or 2 before then, but if 2014 is a Baltimore again, then it is a DEFINITE for me and my wife, and probably my son too (who would be 20 then). He had a really good time.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default too complex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
is there a reason Jim no longer posts here?...I have missed his contributions and wondered why I no longer see him on here...
JasonL

Jim told me he couldn't figure out how to register or post on the new board. I told him I would register for him. I think he will come back in due time.....Like his collecting ways or not, he is a passionate collector and a very nice gentleman when speaking with him. regards
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Phil Garry

As many have stated already, Baltimore is the venue that offers the most entertainment for the entire family and all within walking distance of the show. Can't say that about Cleveland, Chicago or Anaheim.