NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Default RANK: Top 5 "Toughest" T206 Southern Leaguers

Posted By: Adam

I have just completed my T206 SLer sub-set. Without a doubt, for me Ed Foster was the hardest card to obtain. Second place would be Sid Smith. Shag would be 3rd.

Curious as to what people would rank as the 5 toughest SLers to find (ranking them in order, with number 1 being the toughest).

I would say:

1. Foster;
2. Sid Smith;
3. Shag Shaughnessy;
4. ?
5. ?

Also, any explaination (print runs etc.) as to why some SLers are tougher to find than others?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I am not much of an expert as I only own a half-dozen SLers; but I had always heard that Foster and Paige of Charleston were tough...maybe because the Charleston franchise moved temporarily in 1910 and Charleston did not field a team? I can't remember were they they moved...possibly Frankfurt? Maybe Foster's and Paige's cards were not produced during the 1910 printings.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Hi Guys,
I have also been interested in this question. Scot Readers info is weighted by PSA Pop Report,PSA grades, and pricing. His list is:

Persons (although it seems like this card is relatively easy to find in low grades)
Cranston
Foster
Mullaney
Revelle
Hart
Manion
Ellam
Smith
Ryan

I have been trying to pick up the most difficult cards in each of the series. It seems like the Southern League and Texas League cards always go fairly high, even the raw poor/fair cards.

Rick

Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I did something as I collected the white border tobacco cards, I commenced it about halfway through the set. I made a note on the checklist of which number T206 it was when I got it. So I knew when I got card #400, it has '400' beside it. Eventually I was putting down the date of acquisition, too. I wish I'd started that sooner...

Anyway. As I gathered in the T206s, I decided to try to get the southern league cards because I perceived them undervalued. I thought demand would drive their cost higher than other T206s. I think I was correct.

So I know the order of acquisition on some of the T206s. The last SLer I got was Lipe. Cranston was the next to last. McCauley was just before him. And preceeding him was Foster.

So that would weakly support the Cranston and Foster idea above. The Beckett catalog used to give a slight premium to Shaughnessy and Perdue, I think. I don't know if it still does, or not. I bought a couple of Shaughnessy cards, thinking that if they were tough I needed 2... one for trade bait. This was pre-eBay, back when folks swapped cards. But I'd find more Shaughnessy cards. He was president of the International League for 2 dozen years. He managed over 2000 games in the minors. He was in baseball forever. I think that put some demand on his card. As for Perdue, I kinda like him. He was from a town about 30 miles from me. Quite a character. Best game he ever pitched was for the 1912 Braves, opening day... it was against the New York Giants, Matty threw for them. Hub pitched a 3 hit shutout, and beat Mathewson. But not much was whooped up in the newspapers about it. Instead, the papers covered news about a shipping accident in the Atlantic, a new ship had hit an iceberg... the Titanic. No idea, though, why there'd be a premium on his card...

Solidarity on post editing!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Gotta love Hub's nickname, "The Gallatin Squash"!

Also interesting to note that Shag's autograph is fairly easily obtained due to his lifelong involvement in the game. One of the more easily-acquired 1919 White Sox autographs.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

It would be neat to see a photo of Shag and a copy of his autograph if anyone has them scanned. Please post!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

My experience has 'em ranked

5. Revelle
4. Paige
3. Helm
2. Foster
1. Shag

Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

If we are talking about who's toughest in very nice condition, I would say the guy from memphis scoops carey