NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default PWCC reeling from losing my business!

I recently posted that I wasn't bidding on a low grade common lot of Butterfinger premiums because they were in a PWCC auction. The auction concluded with total price with shipping just under $50. I would have bid about $20 higher. So this might have cost PWCC $3-4 or even more!*

How many more financial shocks like this can PWCC handle before it collapses?

*(Yeah I know depends if winner would have kept bidding against me)

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Albert Bee

Default PW

They will not be able to handle much more of that
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Brent probably called an emergency meeting this morning of upper management.

At this point anyone who thinks they are going to fare better with him with a really special card (lower commisssion I understand) than a real AH should have their head examined. If I see a nice card with him I immediately assume it’d been under the knife. Same logic I employ in topless bars where things just look too perfect.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:02 PM
pete ullman

Welllllllll...I'd have to think between the legal fees they're payiing JL...the refunds they've been giving and the fact some people are not soliciting their services..they're feeling something...and it aint warm apple pie!

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapolit1 View Post
brent probably called an emergency meeting this morning of upper management.

At this point anyone who thinks they are going to fare better with him (lower commisssion i understand) than a real ah should have their head examined. If i see a nice card with him i immediately assume it’d been under the knife. Same logic i employ in topless bars where things just look too perfect.
lol!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
...If I see a nice card with him I immediately assume it’d been under the knife. Same logic I employ in topless bars where things just look too perfect.
OK that is really funny!!

Sometimes things are simply too good to be true.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

I know op is an attempt at satire, but here is the thing. You can’t look at individual cards and try to draw a conclusion. The proper way to size impact would be total sales volume by auction MOM and YOY. Not sure if this data is available but if it was it would be interesting to see that 2008 fall auction is up or down x% YOY.

Another thing to consider is we are in one of the greatest asset bubbles we will likely ever see. No hobby scandal can counter the absolute flush of cash that is flowing into RE, art, equities, etc.

Last, Brent himself is on record stating that 15-30 collectors are driving the whole top end of the market. So it wouldn’t take too many of these collectors to move to the sidelines to impact prices. That said, these same collectors have incentive to keep the party going, which takes me back to asset bubble. Nothing is going to change as long as money is cheap and accessible.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default pwcc

As soon as I see those letter - PWCC - I think someone of cutting and carving.

I save money by not buying anything with those letters.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 12-10-2019, 03:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Every single search I do on ebay contains "-(PWCC, Dean)" and life is beautiful (unless I'm looking for a Dean Meminger or Dean Chance card, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Last, Brent himself is on record stating that 15-30 collectors are driving the whole top end of the market.
Is this a fact that he said that? Wow if true. Not exactly a business based on volume.

I’d love to see a reference to that or some metrics to back that up. I bet there are more cars doctors than that.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Topless Bars - Multiple Choice

A. An establishment serving adult beverages without a roof, frequently seasonal in snow country.

B. An establishment serving adult beverages in which the bar itself no longer has a table top surface, where finding a place to set down your drink is a pain in the neck.

C. An establishment serving adult beverages featuring entertainment devoid of clothing above the waist.

D. An establishment serving adult beverages that is clothing optional for the patrons, who in fact may also be bottomless.

Perhaps this should be in the form of a poll for our members to indicate their preference.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Is this a fact that he said that? Wow if true. Not exactly a business based on volume.

I’d love to see a reference to that or some metrics to back that up. I bet there are more cars doctors than that.
He did, I believe on this forum when he used to participate. Someone with better search skills can probably find it.

And it makes sense - PWCC sells 50mm a year, if 20mm of that is ultra high end, 25 whales could easily consume all that inventory. I suspect a lot of ultrahigh end inventory is in a few hands and if/when these guys exit look out.

The card doctors are selling cards to all types of collectors. If you look at most outed cards they are in the 500-1k range. Even the big ones are under 25k. The doctors are making money on volume, turning 50’dollar bills into 1k paydays
Old 12-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Every single search I do on ebay contains "-(PWCC, Dean)" and life is beautiful (unless I'm looking for a Dean Meminger or Dean Chance card, of course).
Or an altered card.
(PWCC reference only.)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-10-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Meanwhile, Brent and Betsy keeping laughing all the way to the bank.....
Old 12-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Partners
With
Cash
Cache

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I will go out on a limb and say they aren't quite laughing all the way to the bank right about now.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Patrick N.

Default Point

What was the point of this original thread, not to be critical....Were you being sarcastic that you are just a drop in the bucket and the PWCC steamroller rolls on. Or were you trying to say people like yourself are dropping out of their auctions and indeed deflating their final sales prices/bottom line?

Last edited by mintacular; 12-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Fred

Just my opinion. This will probably blow over for them and it will be business as usual in a short period of time. It seems to be a trend. Crappy things are identified, the hobbyists throw their hands up (in disgust), vow never to do business again with these buttheads and after a few months, nothing is truly done and everything goes back to the way it was. Maybe, just maybe, there might have been a little hand slapping but in the end, what really is done to better the hobby?
Old 12-13-2019, 05:39 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Fred is spot on.....Here is where I am at with all of this.... Brent Huigens and Rick Probstein have been crucified on this Board for years, not months, but several years (rightly so in most cases) and not a damn thing ever gets done, ever... Ebay isn't going to do a damn thing about it, even though of possibly knowing of bad doings....So now what? What's going to happen realistically? My opinion? They will keep right on rolling along.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-13-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Fred is spot on.....Here is where I am at with all of this.... Brent Huigens and Rick Probstein have been crucified on this Board for years, not months, but several years (rightly so in most cases) and not a damn thing ever gets done, ever... Ebay isn't going to do a damn thing about it, even though of possibly knowing of bad doings....So now what? What's going to happen realistically? My opinion? They will keep right on rolling along.....
Speaking of Rick Probstein…

Check out his response to an indisputably proven altered card that he is currently (and fraudulently) selling...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1338754

How anyone could support this business model is beyond me. I know... stuff trumps all... but what an arrogant POS!

Last edited by perezfan; 12-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:06 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Speaking of Rick Probstein…

Check out his response to an indisputably proven altered card that he is currently (and fraudulently) selling...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1338754

How anyone could support this business model is beyond me. I know... stuff trumps all... but what an arrogant POS!
Mark.....He is, and let me tell you something.... He doesn't give a shit about what people think about him, actually laughs about it....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-13-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Mark.....He is, and let me tell you something.... He doesn't give a shit about what people think about him, actually laughs about it....
Yeah... and the ONLY way to get him to stop his laughing is to stop buying/consigning from him.

But to your point... the blind will keep leading the blind, and things will likely never change. I used to believe the vast majority simply didn't know about the fraud. Now I think they just don't care.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:

Do not mention Betsy
Old 12-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just my opinion. This will probably blow over for them and it will be business as usual in a short period of time. It seems to be a trend. Crappy things are identified, the hobbyists throw their hands up (in disgust), vow never to do business again with these buttheads and after a few months, nothing is truly done and everything goes back to the way it was. Maybe, just maybe, there might have been a little hand slapping but in the end, what really is done to better the hobby?
That couldn’t be more spot on. Well said. That sums up about the last 100,000 comments on this board. In a nutshell. Perfectly.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Scott Russell

I know things move too slowly for, well, everyone, but the FBI being involved is a little different than the run of the mill crappy things that people have been bitching about for years.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-13-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I know things move too slowly for, well, everyone, but the FBI being involved is a little different than the run of the mill crappy things that people have been bitching about for years.
How do we know the FBI is involved? Crock-O-Bull
Old 12-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Scott Russell

Their presence at PWCC's booth at the national would certainly suggest it...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Scott seems very well-connected in the hobby. If he says the FBI is involved, you can book it. (Pardon the pun!)
Old 12-14-2019, 08:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Their presence at PWCC's booth at the national would certainly suggest it...
Kinda surprising with the FBI at their booth...Lichtman as their lawyer...there is still funny business seemingly going on with their auctions.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default pwcc

Forget the registry. Before I buy a card to invest, I check to see if it was ever sold by PWCC.

If I want an altered card, ill do it myself. (at least I'll know what I got)
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 12-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Kinda surprising with the FBI at their booth...Lichtman as their lawyer...there is still funny business seemingly going on with their auctions.
I am more wondering how this is connected to Stevens thread on Lelands because as a stand alone thread it makes zero sense. Especially with the level of threats, kinda reminds me of how Jeffery became PWCCs lawyer.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:21 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I am more wondering how this is connected to Stevens thread on Lelands because as a stand alone thread it makes zero sense. Especially with the level of threats, kinda reminds me of how Jeffery became PWCCs lawyer.
ya...there's that too...multiple curious story lines these days.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
It actually was from a referral. But if you’re claiming what you just wrote is a fact and not your opinion let me know.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Better to just allow yourself and others to just get ripped off and do nothing like you apparently would do? I guess that helps to explain a lot.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
It actually was from a referral. But if you’re claiming what you just wrote is a fact and not your opinion let me know.
No facts, just a funny conspiracy theory opinion from an unemployed hobby nobody.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
No facts, just a funny conspiracy theory opinion from an unemployed hobby nobody.
Ben, if you can work a scanner and answer phones I’ve got a job for you.

Wait: do you speak Spanish?

Last edited by calvindog; 12-15-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Ben, if you can work a scanner and answer phones I’ve got a job for you.
I appreciate the offer but I am doing OK. Now if that job could be located about 80 to 120 miles south-west of PWCC headquarters I can do both.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-15-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Please raise your hand if you think fraud in the baseball card collecting world is anywhere in the top 500 things the FBI is currently concerned about. Anybody? Do I see one hand up in the back of the room?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Please raise your hand if you think fraud in the baseball card collecting world is anywhere in the top 500 things the FBI is currently concerned about. Anybody? Do I see one hand up in the back of the room?
Fortunately they have the ability and resources to be involved with more than 500 things at once.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Did Crazy Uncle thread disappear?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

looks like there's a new "policy" in place around here?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Wow just found it in water cooler section. And locked! Glad I didn’t buy anything in that auction because I’d have no idea what was going on with them anymore.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Fortunately they have the ability and resources to be involved with more than 500 things at once.
Yeah, and eventually like every organization on the face of the earth they sit around at some point and decide budgeting, priorities for the coming year, which things merit continued attention, staffing needs, etc. I see the FBI in the paper every day now. . . . .and it ain't about baseball cards. . . . .
Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
This guy from Maryland has his hand raised. I believe, in fact I am quite confident, that this FBI investigation is real and matters significantly to the agent(s) undertaking it. I do not know how it will shake it, and I have no prediction regarding same, but I do very much believe that this is a big deal to the FBI agent(s) on the case.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Wow just found it in water cooler section. And locked! Glad I didn’t buy anything in that auction because I’d have no idea what was going on with them anymore.
Whenever members want to throw snide remarks my way then the repercussions are not going to be what those members want. Just like when you said "so sorry" to me in your thread you wanted to be on the front page. And then when I have had enough with those members, those members will be gone. I have found that weeding out malcontents is not only good for me but good for the forum. Carry on.....and so sorry .
Old 12-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Yeah, and eventually like every organization on the face of the earth they sit around at some point and decide budgeting, priorities for the coming year, which things merit continued attention, staffing needs, etc. I see the FBI in the paper every day now. . . . .and it ain't about baseball cards. . . . .
You must have access to better information about what’s going on with them and this investigation than I do so I will have to defer to you.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Whenever members want to throw snide remarks my way then the repercussions are not going to be what those members want. Just like when you said "so sorry" to me in your thread you wanted to be on the front page. And then when I have had enough with those members, those members will be gone. I have found that weeding out malcontents is not only good for me but good for the forum. Carry on.....and so sorry .
If legitimate questions about advertisers are now suddenly off limits, count me as a malcontent I guess. Not the forum I've known for all these years.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If legitimate questions about advertisers are now suddenly off limits, count me as a malcontent I guess. Not the forum I've known for all these years.
It was the snide remark that tipped the boat not the question.
If you make those kind of remarks then you will be in the same boat as they are.
It is each members call how they want to participate. It is the same forum as always I am just taking less BS from the members. Had I truly been "protecting" an advertiser then the thread would have been deleted. Each member can make their own assumptions but the best way to participate here is not going to be rubbing me the wrong way, on purpose.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It was the snide remark that tipped the boat not the question.
If you make those kind of remarks then you will be in the same boat as they are.
It is each members call how they want to participate. It is the same forum as always I am just taking less BS from the members. Had I truly been "protecting" an advertiser then the thread would have been deleted. Each member can make their own assumptions but the best way to participate here is not going to be rubbing me the wrong way, on purpose.
No, when one thread gets moved off the main page and another gets locked, it's not the same forum.