NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Wes

Default BVG grading: yes? no?

I have a direct source to the Beckett grading company. I get a pretty decent deal, and thinking of getting a few pre war cards graded/authenticated. I dont see too many BVG pre war cards for sale in net54. So, I am wondering if paying for about 8 pre war cards to be slabbed BVG would help boost their sale on these forums? Thanks.

_Wes

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Rich Klein

Default Most of the graders at Beckett

have been there for a decade or more and have tons of experience and I would frankly match Andy Broome against just about anyone as a vintage grader

Rich
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Personally, just based on 50s and 60s cards I have viewed on ebay, I dont have a lot of confidence.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Fair, accurate, grading and iron-clad slabs. Just can't get past their, to be kind, pretentious BCCG brand.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegsFan View Post
So, I am wondering if paying for about 8 pre war cards to be slabbed BVG would help boost their sale on these forums? Thanks.
If I had to choose a company to slab/protect my card (irregardless of what grade gets put on the flip) I'd choose BVG. Their holders do the best job of actually PROTECTING the card. But I store many of my cards raw in binders.

To answer your question, I think it'll depend on what the 8 cards are. Many on this board care about the card and not about what holder it is in. Are they vintage cards? Post-war? High grade or lower grade? The only way I think they may sell higher than non-slabbed is if they are high grade vintage cards and a TPG looks at them to ensure they aren't altered. Otherwise, save your money. Beckett just redid their online registry so maybe in a couple years they can start being competitive with the SGC/PSA registries so that their holders bring a premium.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Ad@m Be11

I don't think they'll boost sales price any more than a SGC or PSA slab, but some collectors will pay a premium to keep their set uniform and there are by far more PSA and SGC collections so you may limit your buyer pool.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
T0dd M@rcum

they are hard to break out....
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I consider some of the graders friends at BVG.....but regardless of that I absolutely respect their grading as much or more than any TPG. If it is a registry card (very high grade) and you can get some registry guys chasing it , then PSA might bring more money. Also, as mentioned, if someone has all of their cards in a certain TPG holder then going with that TPG might net more. WE had quite a few BVG cards in our last auction and I am fairly sure their grading helped the prices. Just one opinion here....
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I'd vote No

Not a fan at all. Still see way to many high grade cards with "issues" in my opinion.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-04-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I won a BVG grading voucher at the Net54 dinner last year (thanks Leon, Net54, Beckett) and FINALLY sent some cards in around Christmas time.

I sent in 5 T205s and 2 T206s and all came back right around what I expected and within their stated turn-around time. However 1 holder had a crack on the corner that I didn't notice at first, but you could see where the box they came in had a chunk dented on the edge like something fell on it. I was going to send it back but realized a Beckett grading rep was going to be at a local show so I waited to save on shipping. He took the card no questions asked and I had the re-slab back in a week.

My personal one-time experience (so far)... grading was as expected, holders are nice, and service was superb. I can't speak to resale value though.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM

I believe they overgrade .5-1 grade more than other companies. I've had several cards that were 8's but too off center for another company to give them that grade - don't get me wrong they still got a premium - but I think it is a crapshoot with beckett, if you get the same grade PSA or SGC gives you the $$ is less.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Beckett

Great holder...tamper evident...Also, Mark (which is a board member) offers awesome customer service.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

On my modern issue submissions they seem to get it right but simply looking on eBay there are too many 50s-70s cards which seem suspect and prices realized reflect it or at least a public's lack of confidence in their legitimacy.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM

I don't know the graders, but it is hard to imagine they have anywhere near the experience with vintage (pre-WWII) than either SGC or PSA.
JimB
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

They are really strict at grading, and usually command the best prices, I think PSA will bring in more money with pre-war items. BGS is the go to the modern, but they are the best I've used, even though they may have hurt me half a grade with how strict they are.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I don't know the graders, but it is hard to imagine they have anywhere near the experience with vintage (pre-WWII) than either SGC or PSA.
JimB
Jim,

I'm a little confused by this basis for this statement.

Are you referring to authenticating a card or grading a card? I understand that authentication is part of the grading process, and assuming the card you are grading is authentic (for now), is the actual "grading" process and criteria for condition of the card any different for a '75 Topps card than a T206?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Steven Finley

Like someone else stated, I have confidence in BGS and BVG - but their inclusion of BCCG completely baffles me. I own several BVG graded cards and would not hesitate to purchase more.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I don't have any issues buying BVG cards but I don't place any premium and might even discount my price a little. I will not send a submission to them because of their BCCG grading thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Wes

Thanks for all the input guys! By the way, for those wondering, I was referring to some tobacco cards and diamond stars to send in.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
David Riley

I stick with PSA/SGC myself. Beckett's put out the magazine for years, mass distribution, and they also grade cards. It's probably picky of me but I see conflict of interest. Beckette Price guide is not the same as PSA's SMR. Holders look nice. I believe they would survive small arms fire . But I just don't use or buy BVG/BGS and certainly not BCCG
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Fair, accurate, grading and iron-clad slabs. Just can't get past their, to be kind, pretentious BCCG brand.
+1

Sincerely, Clayton