NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2022, 04:56 PM

Default E99 Bishop background colors - and are Pink and Black legit colors?

I recently checked out an old (15+ years) thread about E99 background colors. On it, the Blue background was identified as most common, while the Pink and Black were considered so rare as to be practically non-existent, while 'other colors' were identified as being equally as available, just a notch below the Blue, and Yellow being perhaps slightly less available than these 'other colors'. These other colors being Green, Purple and Red.

The Old Cardboard site lists Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Black and Pink backgrounds, but oddly does not mention Red. This spurred me to check E99 colors online to see what was out there.

Definitely Blue seems to be the most commonly seen color, while Green and Red seemed to be less seen than Yellow and Purple, but not that far out of line to be of much significance. I found one possible Pink (Nelson) and one possible Black (Mohler) background. I then noted for each player what normal background colors were available, and here is what I found -- listed are the color(s) that are NOT seen for each player (of the 5 normal colors):

BACKGROUND COLORS NOT VERIFIED

(In order of checklist on back of each card)

Portland

Krapp - Green, Red

Olsen - Blue (All 5 Colors Available)

Casey - Blue, Red

Byones - Green

McCredie - Green, Yellow, Red

Oakland

Nelson - Purple

Cutshaw - Yellow

Cameron - Green, Red

Wolverton - Yellow, Purple

Maggert - Green

San Francisco

Mohler - Blue, Purple, Red

Tennent - Green, Red

Bodie - Green

McArdle - (All 5 Colors Available)

Melchoir - (All 5 Colors Available)

Los Angeles

Nagle - Yellow, Blue

Dillon - Green, Yellow

Delmas - Green

Thorsen - Green, Purple, Red

Smith - Yellow, Purple, Red

Vernon

Hogan - Green, Red

N. Brashear - Green, Purple

Hitt - Yellow

Lindsay - Blue

Hasty - Red

Sacramento

Van Buren - (All 5 Colors Available)

Nourse - Purple

Hunt - Blue

Raymer - Purple

Briggs - (All 5 Colors Available)

I don't spot any obvious patterns in the missing colors, so I have a feeling they are out there, but obviously this is a fairly scarce set, so might be tough to identify more than I have.

I would love to see any that are listed above, either here or feel free to contact me by PM. And feel free to post any that have already been verified...it is always nice to see something that isn't seen that frequently.

Finally, let me know what you think about the Pink Nelson (is it a faded red?) and whether the Mohler is indeed a Black background. I have also included representative images of the other background colors as reference.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e99five.jpg (86.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg e99fivesecondgroup.jpg (82.1 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-01-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:07 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Is it wrong to exclaim to the public that I once had a Green Krapp?

At least I am pretty sure I did, as long as my old files aren’t (flushed) away, I think I consigned that card when I foolishly was breaking up a type-card collection several years ago.
I’ll look for a SFW scan…

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Is it wrong to exclaim to the public that I once had a Green Krapp?
It is perfectly acceptable to have a Green Krapp. Red Krapp is the one to worry about.

Brian
Old 08-31-2022, 06:18 PM

Default E99s - Some Color

The Red color on E99s and E100s will run if soaked. I think that the "pink" is just faded red. Here are some of the "missing" color backgrounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (170.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 08-31-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
The Red color on E99s and E100s will run if soaked. I think that the "pink" is just faded red. Here are some of the "missing" color backgrounds.
Thanks Webster, and nice E99's...that is quite a few for the list that I can update.

Brian
Old 08-31-2022, 06:33 PM

Default e99s

Looking for Dillion, Hogan, and McReedie with lots to trade including another Purple Wolverton. Send a PM if anyone can help.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts on the Pink...I certainly can imagine fading is a possibility. Any ideas about the possible Black background Mohler? Also, has anyone even seen a black background E99?

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-31-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:24 AM

Default Mohler

I’ve never seen that Mohler. Looks like there is some pink behind that black/brown. Could be jus toning/reaction on the unstable red coloring; could also be a printing error/ink mix up (though we would have likely seen another player with similar coloring.

My hues would be chemical reaction of some sort.

I think it’s most likely that all players were printed in all colors at some point in time.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I think it’s most likely that all players were printed in all colors at some point in time.
That is my opinion as well for the Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple and Red backgrounds. For me it is just a question whether each color example of each player is still around 110+ years later. Thanks to you we have reached 80% (120 of 150) verification of these background colors.

Quote:
I’ve never seen that Mohler. Looks like there is some pink behind that black/brown. Could be jus toning/reaction on the unstable red coloring; could also be a printing error/ink mix up (though we would have likely seen another player with similar coloring.

My hues would be chemical reaction of some sort.
To me the areas on the left and right borders still seem to possess the original finish, which is definitely dark and may have been what has been identified as a black background previously.

Brian
Old 09-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree on the missing color pass possibility.
Not sure on the other one. Maybe a color that didn't work out? I have seen at least one, I used to own, completely different color strip card than any others from the set I had seen. Who knows?

Another e card with, I feel, probably a missing red color pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e92mcgraw.jpg (127.2 KB, 37 views)