NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Do these flips look right to you?

I'm looking through some PSA graded Robin Yount cards from the 70's for my PC. And I see two PSA flips that have me raising an eyebrow.

This 1980:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-TOPPS-2...item3cd01c1377

And this 1978:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-TOPPS-1...item589d11f5d1

Both PSA 9's, both cards I'd like to own, and from the same seller.

But if you look at the flips, specifically the spacing between the card descriptions and the red border, they're quite inconsistent.

However, the slabs look good. No frosting at all. The typography also looks correct.

Am I being too cautious? You guys have bought a lot more PSA graded cards than I have, and could comment if this kind of inconsistency is common or not.

Thanks!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Larry More.y

I would have no doubts that these cards were indeed the cards that were encased by PSA. The seller is a large submitter (and seller) of PSA cards and would have no need or reason to "fake" a $12 card. In purchases I have made from this seller, there have been no concerns on my end

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 03-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Bill Gregory

I wasn't really concerned about the seller so much as I was curious about the odd spacing of the flips themselves. I know the seller does a lot of PSA grading, and have bought from them before. But there will be sellers I have not dealt with, and I want to make sure in the future that if I were to see odd spacing like that, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) raise any concerns.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Larry More.y

Bill,
I can understand your concern...on a higher dollar card, my concern would be there also. Here is a link that I have used when I see a PSA card flip that does not appear "right"....I try to match the questionable flip up to one in the link to help explain a variance.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=846031

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 03-27-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Bill,
I can understand your concern...on a higher dollar card, my concern would be there also. Here is a link that I have used when I see a PSA card flip that does not appear "right"....I try to match the questionable flip up to one in the link to help explain a variance.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=846031
Thank you, Saved. I've actually referred to that thread a couple times since it was started. I've not been an active participant on the PSA forums, yet I've done a lot of reading of discussions there. You can never have too much knowledge about an area of interest, especially when you have a financial interest in it.

I also started a discussion on sportscardforum.com about the variances of the PSA flip, going into detail about the typography used (I was an advertising art major my first year of college before switching to political science). I don't think I knew about SGC when it was written:

http://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...e-graded-cards

Maybe I'm a little gun shy, I don't know. Everything else looked good to me, it was just the abnormality in the white space to the side of the printed information that made me leery.

I guess I'd rather be a little overcautious now then make mistakes a little down the road once I've gotten heavily into vintage.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Bill Gregory

One more question, guys. Does anybody have a breakdown by serial numbers as to when PSA has changed their flip? In other words, from card # ___ to ___, PSA used this variation of flip. From that point to card # ____, they have used this flip.

The dates are helpful as a general guide, but it sure would be helpful if PSA came out and provided the examples of their flips, and what range of serial numbers it covered. I don't know if anybody has done something like this.