NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Can Alex be number one in career homers?
Yes he will make it as a Yankee. 4 8.51%
Yes he will make it but on another team. 2 4.26%
No, he will tail off and fall short. 20 42.55%
No, the Yankees drop him and nobody picks him up. 2 4.26%
No, but he passes Ruth and comes close to Aaron. 6 12.77%
No, and I am glad, I hate his guts. 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 AM
Arnie

Default Alex rodriguez - can he be number 1???

3 home runs for A-Rod last nite. He is still over 80 homers behind Bonds. Can A-Rod catch and pass Bonds as the alltime home run champion? He is about 88 home runs behind Bonds. Even with a good second half of this season, as he ages its doubtful he could do it in 2 years, he would need probably 3 years to pass Bonds. He has 2 years left on his Yankee contract, if he plays decent, but ages, do the Yankees sign him to one extra year at age 42 to try to get the home run record hit in a Yankee uniform? I hope he can do it, because PED's or not, I want to see the big home run hit by someone in a Yankee uniform. You got a PED guy now as the career leader, why not let it be Alex as a Yankee!!!! But thats a lot of home runs to hit yet and he is getting older, can he keep hitting them at an advanced age? Could be very interesting to see!!!! Go Alex!!!

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 07-26-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Ben North

I really hope not I have hated this guy since he played in Seattle.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Who knows, Arnie? At this point it's anyone's guess. Your question is really about "Can he do it? And if so will he do it as a Yankee? As a lifelong Yankee fan myself, I am a hypocrite: Down on steroids, but Man, did I enjoy that win last night!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

If A-Rod wasn't suspended he probably would of suffered a career ending injury..who really knows but the layoff appears to have done him well ....and its a ? how he would of done if no layoff..
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

His layoff was closer to 2 years with the hip injury. So who know what would have happened if he didn't have the suspension and had the extra season to fully heal, at his age?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Since the glut of PED use, the record book does not mean nearly as much to me as a way to compare players across decades, thusly records broken can no longer be celebrated nor should they be recognized.

Q: Would I rather see Rodriguez pass Bonds on such a meaningless list?
A: It would not matter one bit- I still consider Hank Aaron as the All-Time Homerun leader.

IMHO, the only two players who have reached 500 homers since 1998 are Ken Griffey,Jr. & Jim Thome. (My apology for not including Frank Thomas follows in later posts...thanks to some more alert folks.) While much of this is educated conjecture, it is impossible, at this point, to determine which performances were legit and which were not. Griffey and Thome's names were never brought up in discussions of PED usage.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-27-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

IMHO, the only two players who have reached 500 homers since 1998 are Ken Griffey,Jr. & Jim Thome. While much of this is educated conjecture, it is impossible, at this point, to determine which performances were legit and which were not. Griffey and Thome's names were never brought up in discussions of PED usage.
I also add Frank Thomas to the list of 500 hr clean since 98

Last edited by Bravesfanjd; 07-27-2015 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesfanjd View Post
This ^
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesfanjd View Post
I can not believe I did not mention Big Frank. Of course, that makes three.

What an idiot! He's from my hometown, played for my high school and even in the same little league as me...and I did not mention him. Wow!
From now on it's, think twice before posting once.
Sorry 'bout that Frank!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Arnie,

No disrespect to you buddy, but I would be happy if he never hit another homerun.

No. 1?

In my mind he'll always be No. 2.

Now pass the Scott Tissue please.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Arnie,

No disrespect to you buddy, but I would be happy if he never hit another homerun.

No. 1?

In my mind he'll always be No. 2.

Now pass the Scott Tissue please.
But how do you REALLY feel about A-Rod Tim?

Hey, he used PED's like most players did, and did some misguided things for sure with lawsuits, and i can understand the hatred for him. With all that, i dont think he is a bad guy, he works hard, he is great with helping develop the younger players, and again, if a druggie like Bonds can be number 1, then i would like to see Alex pass him and be number 1 himself.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think he has 70 HR left in him, but who knows what tricks he has up his sleeve. The 33 was pretty remarkable given both his age and the low power output the last several years. But he struck out more than ever, and looked pathetic sometimes doing so in the games I watched, case in point that last AB against Houston.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-14-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 PM
bobby

Default alex

who cares you the kids? he defines everything wrong in baseball. do you or did you need drugs to do your job.

Last edited by minibatsman; 10-14-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Don

I wish they would expunge all the PED players records. It's not like we don't know who they are. What they did was far worse than anything Pete Rose did.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM
bobby

Default Drugs

Bonds, McGwire, Clemons didn't get the votes and probably never will?
What I hated as much as his contribution to drug use to perform.
Is that MLB allowed him to be a announcer during the world series.
10 year olds don't no about his drug use as a grandfather that watched the series with my 10 year old grand son who asked every time they were talking who is that guy what do I tell him.
I had cards of almost every player that played in the series on the table and the ball players that were announcing the game. and we read there stats
Whats that card worth gramps well that one is $700 dollars. wow he said he must be a great ball player. what do I say to him he knows that I no the prices for them. and because of the value of one card my grandson is a A Rod fan forever?. He is a smart kid and one day he will no what these men did to get were they are today . Did I tell a 10 year old if things get tuff drugs will help you make it through the bad times?.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

If he stays healthy he should domit inabiut 3.5-4 years. With 2 left with yankees id bet he goes to another team to finish up
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.