NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Mike H

Hello all. I had a great time at the Cleveland National this year. I attended the Wednesday evening premier and most of Thursday with my good friend Ryan S. We were strategizing, comparing notes, and talking each other up the entire show. It's great having someone to share in the excitement of the show and to talk you off the ledge when you miss an opportunity or question a big purchase you are about to make. The only other collectors we met were Carlton Hendricks (Sportsantiques.com),Brett Lowman from the glove discussion board and his brother. We had dinner with Carlton Wednesday evening after he made some nice purchases. During the day, he was snapping photos with reckless abandon and writting details feverishly in his note book. His write up will be terrific I'm sure. Carlton is deffinately one of the hardest working web site managers in the business and real asset to our hobby. Here are a few thoughts, observations, and acquisitions from the show.

After an initial quick fly through the show I was a bit dissapointed by the apparent lack of WOW items available or booths with that Hall of Fame feel and appearance. There were some to be sure, but not like in years past. It wasn't until I slowed down and dug in that I began to appreciate the quality of what was available. There weren't a lot of trophies, high end pennants, or pinbacks. Pinbacks were VEEERY week at this show. I wasn't able to add one Cubs, Tigers, or Dimaggio pin to my collection. Despite the overall lack of high end pennants, one of the best pieces from the show was a pennant purchased by Ryan S. but I won't steal his thunder. There were quite a few great cabinets, panoramas, silks, tobacco advertising, and paper. Pretty good bat selection, not many nice gloves, nice balls but few in the box, alot of 50s and newer pennants (I like pre 1950), an ubelievable trophy bat with a pill box cap from that team, few pre-war unis, and tons of programs. This was one of those shows that had quite a few items I appreciated the beauty and scarcity of, but not as many I was prepared to purchase.

There were bargains to be had, and dealers were flexing on prices. I flipped one item quickly for a $200 profit and saw many opportunities to do so. However, time and funds began working against me...ha ha. The dealers overall were quite freindly. Dave Bushing was terrific. His enthusiasm, eagerness to chat, insights regarding memorabilia, and overall attitude about the hobby were just terrific.

OK Mike, shut up and tell us what you purchased. First up was a dandy 1930's Cubs pennant. I don't know how the dealers missed this during set up, but thankfully they didn't look at the bottom of a stack of 1970s garbage pennants. It's in perfect condition, with no holes, sharp tip, and a cool dancing cub on the players uni ($275).
[IMG][/IMG]

Next was this D&M box. No ball, but the box is in great shape. ($20)
[IMG][/IMG]

This is an item I've been after quite a while. I know Babe Ruth underwear boxes aren't super rare, but they are cool. This is an item I flipped another piece to acquire, so when it was done I payed $400 total.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next up is this ad piece. It stands about 10" and has a nice look to it. Schrafft's was a restaurant and candy store chain in New York. In fact one store sat where Macy's now sits. This was a real bargain as the dealer had no idea what he had ($125).
[IMG][/IMG]

I did add one neat pinback for $20.
[IMG][/IMG]

So, overall it was a very good, not spectacular show from a memorabilia perspective, but one of the best from an enjoyment perspective. As always, the people in the hobby are what makes it great.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Thanks for the writeup Mike...looks like you had a really good show. I never would have even thought to buy and flip at the show. Did you take any pics of dealer set ups?

And congrats on the Ruth underwear box...I know it's not rare, but I think it's a signature piece to have in any collection.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Thanks Dan. I didn't take any pics (I will next year in Chicago) because I knew I would be pressed for time. Carlton took tons. There was a TON of flipping going on. I saw pieces move three times the first two days. A lot of these items simply go from dealer to dealer year after year. I love how the sellers brag about how much they purchased, but never about how much they sell. One thing I don't understand is how so many dealers say they come here to buy rather than sell. If you can't sell at the hobby's biggest show, where are you going to make your money? Are there really that many private clients for all of these dealers? I understand the big boys have long client lists, but come on. I can't believe most of the dealers can make a "good" living doing what I saw at the National. A lot of the dealers had small booths.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

My friend at Stevens Creek Sports Cards here in the Bay Area says that 80% of the people at the National are dealers. Barry just tied Aaron, has there been any jump in Bonds Memorabilia at the National. Giants will close out their series with San Diego and heading back to the Bay Area soon.

Peter C.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Default The National

There are quite a few dealers, but they make up a fraction of who attends. There were TONS of collectors and they seemed to be buying. On Thursday, J. Kanuit said they didn't get a chance to sit down until 2:00 p.m. because they were swamped with collectors buying.

No offense to Barry fans, but I can't think of a worse person to break that record or a worse investment from a memorabilia perspective. I didn't stop at any tables with newer pieces.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Clint

Mike, thanks for the report. I'd really love to go sometime, hopefully next year. Congrats on the pickups as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It's in Chicago next year so I think I am going to try and get there...that's as close as it will ever get to me.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear you went to the Narional and had a great time. Would love to make it out there one of these days but doubt it will happen any time soon.

Interesting Schraffts piece. I'm not familiar with the New York branch, but they also had a branch in Boston. In fact, the old factory building was converted into business (I think they're business, but they might be residential ?) condos a few years back and they saved the famous (huge) Schraffts Neon sign on the front of the building which continues to be lit up to this day. It's almost as familiar a landmark up in Boston as the Citgo sign is in Kenmore Square next to Fenway Park.

I see a lot of red on that ballplayer.....could it be more of a Boston reference?? who knows. Neat though. I love advertising pieces.

Things have slowed down to a dead halt here. Most of it has to do with NOTHING on the market right now for pre-war BoSox material. The other has to do with nothing to buy it with anyway after REA and the taxman.

Hope you are well. Hope to see some photos of the National soon.

Best,
Greg

Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Hi Greg. Here is a link to the NY location. I have no idea if there is a Red Sox connection, but I doubt it.

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/07/21/urban_archeology_search_for_schraffts.php

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Alan

Hey Mike -

Where did you have dinner that Wed night ? Was it in downtown Cleveland ?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Well Alan. We didn't get out of the National til 9:30. We were starving and tired, so Ryan Simms, Greg Simms, and Carlton Hendricks ate at the fabled Outback Steak house. The waitress was hating us for dinning so late.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Alan

Thanks Mike. BTW - Tell Carlton to post the pictures on his website now. He took about 11 months to getting around to posting the pics from the 2006 National.

Alan

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default The National

LOL. I'm with you Alan. I'll let him know. He's a great guy and a real asset to the hobby. We should all go to his site and tell him how much we appreciate him and ask for those PICS!