NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Default A question to all 'old' Giants fans...

Posted By: RichP

Philadelphia A's Historical society is terrific. But being a NY Giants fan, I was wondering if anything excists for us? Anything equivilant?

Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

At one point about 5 years ago, I believe a NY Giants group was being created. I also believe that it never really got off the ground for many reasons which I don't recall but IIRC, they were not all pleasant reasons.

Rich

Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rp60

Sorry to here it rich. Thanks for the response. I guess I have to be a club member of one...Shame, what an awesome past!

Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I'll join that club, but I've some things which I don't understand.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tobacco-r-us

That in 1944 my father, a McGraw Giants fan, took me to my first baseball game.
It was at the Polo Grounds to watch Mel Ott's Giants.
Another reason was that he had a fellow Cuban friend coaching on the team, by the name of Adolfo Luque.

Shamefully, I became the black sheep of the family, the one no one speaks of.
For you see, I was roped in by the 1941 56 game DiMaggio hitting streak, and became a hated Yank fan.

It has taken me all these years to confess my sin, and hope for forgiveness from my family, and all the families of: Dolf Luque, Nap Reyes, Mel Ott, Ace Adams, Ernie Lombardi, Bill Voiselle, Danny Gardella, Billy Jurges, Buddy Kerr, Phil Weintraub, Steve Filipowicz, Joe Medwick, George Hausmann, Johnny Rucker and a few others that skip my mind.

To all you NY Giants fans, and to the best fans ever in any sports, the Broooklyn Bums fans.
This Yank fan MISS you fiercely.
You were the Greatest!
The heart of NYC was ripped out when the owners sold out the NYC Fans.

rp60, I hope some other vintage NY Fans chime in.
That's this Yank fan story, and I'm sticking to it.

Joe P.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike mullins

is that Don Mueller is a good friend of mine. I used to rake his leaves every fall. He taught me a little bit about hitting, but I was never any good so even "Mandrake the Magician" couldn't help me out...

How'd he get good? He told me to practice hitting kernels of corn with a broomstick. Have someone toss the corn at you and try to whack it.

I stuck with it for about 30 minutes. It was too dang frustrating when I was 10. But if you can get good at it, then hitting a baseball should be no problem.

As far as I know, he is still alive and well in the St. Louis metro area.

Probably doesn't help much, but there you have it.

mm

Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

As a kid, I was fascinated by a photo of a baseball player that was on my grandad's dresser. the guy had NY on his hat, and he'd signed the 8x10 photo. Being a kid in the early 60s, I figured it was a Yankee. I now have the photo. it is of Dusty Rhodes, and the photo is the one used on his 1955 Topps #1 card. Evidently my grandad lived in Hopkinsville in the 40s, and Dusty played for the Hoppers, they made acquaintance. When I looked up Dusty in a record book in the late 60s, this was the first I knew of the Giants having been in New York. But then I read....

Skip to a Saturday, June 23, 1984. I drive from Cincy where I'm in law school, up to Chicago for a Cards Cubs game, with girlfriend and her 2 kids. A long drive. Once there, for $5 I park in someone's front yard, and walk to Wrigley (tickled with myself for finding the place). At the ticket window I ask for 4, the response is "sold out". I'm stunned. But I didn't drive up for nothing... so we go in with 4 standing room only tickets. In we go. For 6 innings we stand, before settling in seats. It is a back and forth extra inning game, NBCs game of the week. Sandberg hits 2 HRs, McGee hits for the cycle, the Cubs win, I think it was 12-11 in 11 innings. The game shows up on ESPN Classic on occasion. But the tale to tell today is about an elderly man and a young boy that stood beside me the first few innings. The gentleman was softspoken, and was taking his grandson to a game. The gentleman was from New York. As we stood there, we conversed a bit. He knew his baseball, obstruction and interference were two separate things in his mind. After a couple of innings I asked him who his favorite team was, I looked at him as he answered while gazing upon the field. "The Giants," he said. "The New York Giants." The Giants had been in San Francisco 27 years, and this man still had not forgiven them. When he next looked at me, I could see the 27 years of sadness in his eyes.

The man was a New York Giants fan.

Frank W.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Old Giants Fan

From today's New York Times:
- ON THIS DAY -

On Sept. 29, 1957, the New York Giants played their last game at the Polo Grounds, losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates 9-1. The Giants moved to San Francisco for the next season.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

GreatWake: I guess that I have you by about a decade, in that I was a kid in the 50s. We lived in NYC and I was a Giants fan.

As far as I was concerned, the Giants won the '54 World Series because of Dusty Rhodes' performance. In retrospect, they probably would have won it without him, but it sure seemed that he almost single handedly rose to meet every need that came up.

Yes, they swept the Indians. But that was required. A NYC team won every World Series game between 1949 and 1957. Forty seven consecutive World Series games. And the Giants were the only NYC team (which was unusual) in this World Series.

I think in '50 the NL came up with a winner from Philadelphia, but the Yankees quickly swept them.

And yes, I know that they came up with Cepeda, McCovey, and others; but for me it was over. I was in CA in the '60s and took in a Giants - Dodgers game. It was over.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: A Yank Fans Lament

Was after the last out of the game.
The fans poured out onto the field.
They all faced the 483ft sign out in center field.
Right above the sign you would find both the visiting and home team clubhouses.
They just stood there pleading, and crying for the owners not to take away a team that was theirs since 1883.
Crying in public about their love affair with the team, was not a shameful act.
It ripped this Yank fans heart just to watch this.
As far as I'm concerned, the shame was on the owners.
They sold out the best fans that you could ever hope for, and I miss da Jints & Bums fans.