NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Default Honus Wagner T206

I came across this card for sale. Any chance it's real?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honus Wagner Piedmont Front.jpg (28.2 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg Honus Wagner Piedmont Back.jpg (27.5 KB, 839 views)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Johnny S

Burn the rest of it, or you could send it to PRO grading.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Clayton

Default Wow!

Ouch.....yeah,PRO may give it a 7.............
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 PM

If you don't mind me asking - what gives it away as not real? A few tips can keep me from wasting time with other potential purchasing considerations in the future.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Johnny S

All the printdots give it away to me, but I am no expert but 100% sure it is fake.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Clayton

I'm also no expert,but there's something not right about the lines on the back of the card in the Piedmont design.......maybe it's the scan-but I doubt it.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM

I did not know if the "dot matrix" look was due to the printer itself or due to the texture in the paper. I'm guessing the real cards did not have this paper texture. I have not seen a real one in person, or very close up for that matter online.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Clayton

The funny thing is when you see a mysterious ungraded Honus suddenly appear for sale(usually a fake,of course)it seems as though it's always mangled ,burnt,half torn,etc.............
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Johnny S

You have a much better chance of fathering Angelina Jolies next child than coming accross an unknown Honus but either is possible if you got extremely lucky.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swschultz View Post
If you don't mind me asking - what gives it away as not real? A few tips can keep me from wasting time with other potential purchasing considerations in the future.
It's a Wagner. Not being mean, but seriously.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
You have a much better chance of fathering Angelina Jolies next child than coming accross an unknown Honus but either is possible if you got extremely lucky.
Someday I hope to do both!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Paul

If you have to ask, then it isn't a real Wagner. Period.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than coming across an authentic one.

Other red flags include:

-No box around the image
-The dot matrix pattern
-The fact that it is absolutely charred (intent to deceive)

I would recommend that you hold/own a few authentic and cheap T206 cards before you venture into Big 4 territory.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 10-07-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 PM

I have always believed that if you don't ask, you will never know.

With that being said. I understand that there are only two main Wagner backs. - Piedmont and Sweet Caporal. Is it there are are truly only two backs, or only two known types of backs?

If there are only two types of backs, why would someone fake a Wagner card with a style of back that it can't possibly have? I have seen a Wagner card with a Sovereign back, and one with a Drum back. I guess people will do anything to attempt to make money.

Just like baseball bats and the players that used them, do any official records exist for which cards were printed with which backs? Just curious...

Thanks again for all of your input!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

One thing I always look at is the gap between the "G" on the uniform and the border. This clown knew this and burnt the card in that spot to cover up the easiest way to see a fake. He didnt know you can also tell it is a cropped photo because the thin black line around the photo is missing too.

Caption is not bold enough, but the font style looks fairly good for a reprint.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default If you've never.....

touched or held a REAL T206, why would you start with a Wagner? That's like beginning driving with a Bentley. You need to search ebay for a low grade PSA1-2 T206 card, buy it, crack it out and touch it and figure out the paper quality, look at the printing, etc. For $20-$30, that's a great investment. If you're looking to score by buying a $200 T206 Wagner that may be real, then you'll be ripped off every time. While you can generally tell by looking if a T206 is real or not in a scan from having touched and felt a number of them, it's still never a 100% surety unless you have the card in front of you and get a change to really check it out.

As Dennis Miller used to say, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.....
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Resurrecting an old thread (the last post before this one is almost ten months old) to ask if there's any kind of census identifying the owners/locations of all known T206 Wagners. With such an important card, that would go a long way towards keeping track of the real ones.

Cards that are already "slabbed" can be identified by the unique serial number on their labels... though I wonder if such T206 Wagners have been cracked out of their "slab" for a hopeful upgrade.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Jim D

Frank, i was thinking the font was the giveaway fro me. As far as I know the first letter is a different size then the rest and these ones all look the same..

Burning is usually an indication as well as it is usually done to make it look old.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Brian T.

It's a shame that people don't take better care of their reprints.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Jim D

Maybe it can be restored into a FRANKENWAGNER!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Barry Arnold

Default wag

yes, a Frankenwagner!!!
well put!

best,
barry
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Matt Hall

It survived the fire test, it's real.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Resurrecting an old thread (the last post before this one is almost ten months old) to ask if there's any kind of census identifying the owners/locations of all known T206 Wagners. With such an important card, that would go a long way towards keeping track of the real ones.

Cards that are already "slabbed" can be identified by the unique serial number on their labels... though I wonder if such T206 Wagners have been cracked out of their "slab" for a hopeful upgrade.
Gary - one of the major auction houses in the past year (Legendary?) had a section in their catalog which traced the ownership of the best condition T206 Wagners and where they are now, much to the dismay of a few of the current owners.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Gary,

As Matt alluded to, many of the people who currently own T206 Wagners would prefer that everyone in the world NOT know about their ownership.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM

It was at the 2008 Net54 dinner in Chicago that an auction house talked about all the different Wagners. I believe a few of those Wagners he was referring to belonged to guys who were sitting in the room.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
It was at the 2008 Net54 dinner in Chicago that an auction house talked about all the different Wagners. I believe a few of those Wagners he was referring to belonged to guys who were sitting in the room.
This is correct. Doug Allen, with Legendary, went over ownership of many/most of the top Wagners in the hobby, while giving a speech at the Net54 dinner in 2008. He had permission and approval of most of the owners. Many of the owners were in the room at the time. Except for that litttle bit of uncomfortable feeling (at least one owner wasn't happy about the "surprise" outing) it was a really nice speech.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Here is a link to the list. (The "Holy Grail" - An Explanation of Hierarchy)

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=86978
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncc View Post
Here is a link to the list. (The "Holy Grail" - An Explanation of Hierarchy)

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=86978
Thanks Aaron - that is what I was referring to.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
#8 - Burdick example - housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, since the late 1950s - the card has an EX obverse, and is still adhered to an album page (making the reverse naturally suspect).
Seeing the reference to the Burdick Wagner at the Met made me think- has any Burdick card from the Met collection been removed from the albums, and the paste attempted to be removed? I'm curious if the museum or anyone has attempted this with any of the Burdick cards at the Met.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Barry Sloate

Most of the people who work in the department that houses the Burdick collection care little about it. If anything, the times I visited there it appeared that they found the presence of the collection a nuisance. So many people asked to see it that it began to take up a lot of their time. So I doubt they care one way or the other whether the cards are pasted or not. And taking them out of the album would be a huge effort, and they may not even be allowed to do so. It's possible the collection has to remain the way Burdick left it.

That said, I don't know much about their temporary exhibits. When they put part of the collection up for public viewing, do they mount whole pages onto the walls? I am much less familiar with these displays than the collection itself.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Matt Hall

I have been doing a little research on Burdicks collection as I hope to see it the next time I visit my father who lives in Chelsea. In an article by George Vrechek, he states that cards have been removed for safekeeping. Some have also been removed for matting . The Wagner and Plank, along with some R300s, have shared this fate. Notations have been left in their place as to why they are not there.

If they ever cared about the collection at all, I hope it was during the removal process.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Can anyone give me more information about the 3 Wagner's that "emerged from a non-collector (August Jacobs)" according to the Legendary Auction link above? Or point me in the direction of where I could find this story?