NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Best games you ever saw

What are your favorite best games you have ever seen, excluding pitching performances?

My biggest memories is the game of the 1977 World Series when Reggie hit 3 HR's in one game. My second biggest was the 1989 All Star game when Bo Jackson led off with a HR and continued with other offensive/defensive amazement.

I was really young and not there, nor saw it on TV, but the game in which Hank Aaron hit his 715th - the electricity must have been over the top!

And for those a little older, I would imagine Ted Williams' final game when he hit his final HR would have been especially memorable.

What other games in the last few decades have been most memorable for you?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Braves vs. Twins 1991 World Series, game 7, Smoltz vs. Jack Morris...The game was 0-0 going into the tenth inning....There should not have been a loser in this series....
Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Braves vs. Twins 1991 World Series, game 7, Smoltz vs. Jack Morris...The game was 0-0 going into the tenth inning....There should not have been a loser in this series....
I remember that game well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0athNQ_xSSo
Talk about a pitching dual.

I guess my favorite, being a CDN and being close to Toronto, would be the Jays winning their first World Series.

Joe Carter hitting that ball from the Wild Thing was extra special.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Jeff H

If we are going with all sports. I'll go with the Michigan - Notre Dame football game under the lights in 2011. Incredible finish with Robinson throwing a touch down to Roundtree with 2 seconds left instead of going for the tie with a field goal. It was the third touchdown in the last couple minutes of the game with the lead changing hands after each score.
The best part was it was my son's first experience watching a game at the Big House. The final touchdown was scored in the end zone right in front of us. Nobody left the stadium for about an hour after the game finished.
GO BLUE
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Rocky Rockwell

In no particular order..... and all on TV not in person..... Ripken equalling Gehrigs record and the game after when he broke it, Big Mac and his 70th HR, Gibsons insane HR in the World Series (that was like a made for TV movie there!), and also way back when (maybe 1966 or 67??) saw Mantle go 5 for 5 against I think the Washington Senators .
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 AM
And*y Quig!ey

This is one of mine ... A random early season game. April 16, 2000. I went to a Texas v. Cleveland game to check out Jacobs Field.
Pitchers duel between Loaiza and Finley. Finley was the first pitcher to strike out four in an inning more than once ... it was his third time in two years (a couple of guys have done it twice since then).
Manny and Thome went back-to-back with one out in the bottom of the ninth off Wetteland to win it 2-1. I still have the scorecard.

As for TV games, I remember watching Aaron's 715th and thinking how cool it was that a baseball achievement was the country's top story.
Nothing tops the 1986 postseason for me ... NLCS game 6 was the most prolonged intensity I've ever seen in a game, without question.

Last edited by ajquigs; 05-18-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Scott Maxell

Game 4, 2004 ALCS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Rob Anderson

As a former college basketball player, those games are what I remember most.

Duke UNLV
Duke Michigan

of course the Gophers Kentucky (since vacated) I sat in the third row. Amazing experience.

Michigan Seton Hall

and of course, NC State beating Houston. I loved Houston. I was really devastated by that loss. I was 12 and couldn't sleep for a couple nights after.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 PM

1972 AFC Playoffs Pittsburgh vs. Oakland
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Bill Gregory

July 17, 1987. Milwaukee County Stadium. I saw the Brewers destroy the California Angels 12-2, pounding out 20 hits.

The big bat that day belonged to the #9 hitter, shortstop Dale Sveum (he was playing second this day). Three home runs, and 6 RBI in total. And he missed hitting four home runs by about 5 feet. His third at bat, he struck out, not before sending a screaming line drive that just missed curling inside the right field foul pole.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

When Villanova beat Georgetown for the National Title in 1985.
This was the only time I have seen an entire team be at their best...Their FG Pct as a team was 78.6!!! That's Nuts!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-13-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
D@vid L@dd

1995 AL wild card... Game 2...Yankee Stadium, Yanks in the playoffs for the first time since I could walk. Sat 10 rows behind Mattingly on the first base side... Watching the Captain, Bernie and then finally Leyritz. About a gallon of beer was dumped on me from the upper deck... Was the best feeling of my life!!! The screaming of New York, New York... The honking on the streets of the Bronx...

The next 3 games were heartbreaking... Buhner, Martinez and Griffey each hit .900 it seemed like...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by EldoEsq; 03-13-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 AM
Sam Lemoine

Game 3 of the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals. I took my daughter to the game in Raleigh. Series was tied at 1-1. My Canes were huge underdogs to the Red Wings. The game was amazing and we held the lead until the Wings pulled Hasel and Brett Hull scored in the last minute. Then we had overtime. Actually three intense overtimes! Then, Igor Larionov beat the Canes and took our spirit. I knew the series was over. And it was.

Fortunately, we got another chance four years later, and we beat the Oilers in a tight Game 7 that was also a classic. There's nothing better than good playoff hockey!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Game 3 of the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals. I took my daughter to the game in Raleigh. Series was tied at 1-1. My Canes were huge underdogs to the Red Wings. The game was amazing and we held the lead until the Wings pulled Hasel and Brett Hull scored in the last minute. Then we had overtime. Actually three intense overtimes! Then, Igor Larionov beat the Canes and took our spirit. I knew the series was over. And it was.

Fortunately, we got another chance four years later, and we beat the Oilers in a tight Game 7 that was also a classic. There's nothing better than good playoff hockey!
I couldn't agree more, and despite this mainly being a baseball site, and me being biased, obviously, I believe it is the greatest sport around.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Nice.

Great to hear about the games! Add another - (hockey) when USA beat USSR for Gold in the Olympics, wow!

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 03-14-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Mike Lenart

I was at Game 7 of the 1994 National Hockey League Eastern Conference Finals when the New York Rangers beat the New Jersey Devils in double overtime, 2 to 1, to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. As a Ranger fan since 1972, it was fantastic as the Rangers went on to defeat Vancouver for the Stanley Cup. The Devils scored with just 7.7 seconds left in the game and Stéphane Matteau netted the winning goal.

Still have my ticket stub.

Mike

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Best games I went to:

Tom Glavine's 300th win at Wrigley.

I went to a game where Aramis Ramirez homered three times against the Astros.

Greatest games I ever watched:

2016 World Series, Game 7

2011 World Series, Game 6
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
I was at Game 7 of the 1994 National Hockey League Eastern Conference Finals when the New York Rangers beat the New Jersey Devils in double overtime, 2 to 1, to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. As a Ranger fan since 1972, it was fantastic as the Rangers went on to defeat Vancouver for the Stanley Cup. The Devils scored with just 7.7 seconds left in the game and Stéphane Matteau netted the winning goal.

Still have my ticket stub.

Mike

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Looks like there are more Leaf fans/CDN's at the Florida game tonight (NHL) than there are Florida fans.

It's our March Break up here currently so it's not surprising, as the majority of CDN's head to Florida, that lots of Leaf fans would be there.

I imagine the ticket prices are less than half, even with the exchange rate, than what they are up here!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I believe I got 'saw' and 'watched' intertwined.

Therefore, the best game I ever saw was in the early 1990's when my Alma Mater executed a perfect delayed double-steal to win the State Championship.

Second place was the 1991 NL West Division-Clincher - that started that long run of playoff teams in Atlanta.

That one was particularly weird in that no one, and I mean no one, left the stadium immediately after the final out.

After the initial jumping around, all of the Braves' players stood around and on the pitchers' mound and eye-balled the primitive Fulton County Stadium scoreboard...as the Giants still had to beat the Dodgers to officially bring the title to Atlanta.

The entire crowd was also....just standing and watching...it was eerily quiet.

The very second the Giants won, me and my two pals, having positioned ourselves at the exit, took off.

We made it out of the neighborhood and onto the highway in about five minutes - again, everything was as like an apocalypse movie set.

Obviously, the game was no subject to a local blackout.

It normally took about 45 minutes to get out of a full stadium and maneuver through the bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Pretty Amazing!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

1- 1986 mets game 6, ws
2- ny giants beating the undefeated pats to win the super-bowl
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.