NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Thread No Longer Needed

Thread No Longer Needed

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 01-29-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Thread No Longer Needed
Old 10-28-2017, 07:16 AM
Al Richter

Although I only collect sets and just do the base Topps and Heritage sets now to keep my run going, I enjoy looking at the new stuff including the many innovative issues or oddities that come out each year, and certainly don't think those who do collect such stuff think of it as a joke. Different tastes and different budgets make the hobby interesting to me.

Some folks corner the market on 52 Bartiromes, some 63 Floods and some 2016 Topps Carl Edwards Refractor Rainbow Chrome plates :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-28-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:22 AM
pete ullman

personally...I have very little appreciation for the new shiny stuff. the copied styles of cards from cards past...so unoriginal! the manufactured scarcities...such a bad investment in m opinion. The crazy high pack prices...you can't just buy a few packs for fun without spending nice dinner money. The fact that most of these cards will be mint forever.

I do like the topps "moment" idea...if thats what they are called...but so expensive!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-28-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Sean Sullivan

I do like the signed rookie cards. But not the refractichrome 1 of 0 die cut gold parallel invisible ones.

Basically, I just try to get a basic signed rookie of my favorite players. Oh yeah, and once in a while, if the Wal-Mart line is too long, I might buy a random pack.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Ben North

Not a big fan of the NEW shiny cards. I do like making shiny versions of old cards. Here are a few I have made, sorry for the horrible phone pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 591.jpg (74.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg jellorandy1.jpg (75.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg refractor1.jpg (75.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg mantleX3.jpg (77.4 KB, 383 views)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not a big fan of the NEW shiny cards. I do like making shiny versions of old cards. Here are a few I have made, sorry for the horrible phone pictures.
Do you have a site where you showcase all your custom cards...I would love to see your best stuff...Might be interested in a couple custom cards...
Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Do you have a site where you showcase all your custom cards...I would love to see your best stuff...Might be interested in a couple custom cards...
I mainly do it for fun, I sometime sell to friends but not very often. Here is a link to some stuff I posted on here. I like making the custom boxes/packaging the most.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201034
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237631
Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Do You Vintage Guys Like The Pretty Colors and Shiny Cards At All??? No

Last edited by Leon; 10-28-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Short and simple, you the man...

Chasing fancy colors and completing rainbows seems like something my 11 year old sister would have been doing when we were younger. hahahhaha
Old 10-28-2017, 10:47 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ighlight=jordy

Here's a thread of mine on blowout showing my only rainbow attempt. Did it mainly to see what all the fuss was about.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Brandon Bailey

Yes, I still collect sets and Orioles of the modern cards, but still working back to complete vintage sets.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Nick Barnes

I mostly only do Braves autographed balls and other stuff now, but I DO try and add Bowman Chrome signed cards from guys I think will be our top prospects of the future.

As far as all the 5011 refractors and fake scarcity and all that, I think it's a bubble that is going to burst one day and leave a lot of people with cards they paid thousands for that are as worthless as the junk era.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:37 PM
Bob F.

No, and those darn kids should get off my lawn.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
No, and those darn kids should get off my lawn.
LOL, if those darn kids understood the time, cash, and responsibility it took to have a nice lawn they would stay off it. Unfortunately those things only come with age and experience, something the young can never have.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I did one full rainbow including the 1/1 of Rick Porcello's 2008 Threads rookie DK10 because I loved the framed cards and am a Tiger's fan. Then did a second of the DK57 card also (could not find the 1/1, so as a stickler it's not full...lol)

It was fun to chase the hard ones and it took years to finish. But, after I completed and the chase was over I don't have much interest. I think that was the only rainbow runs I will be doing.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM

No, I gave up that stuff in 1993. It .... has gotten worse since then.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Jim H

No. I collect topps Detroit Tigers and have a complete run of Tigers from 1952 to 2017. I used to be able to look at a card and tell you what year it was from. I can no longer say that because the last 10 years all the cards look the same. Maybe, I’m getting old as I have to my glasses on to read the back of the card.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I appreciate the innovative designs and materials like dufex foil, acetate, etc. Some modern cards are just plain freakin' cool tech:

I know they'll never really appreciate so I just buy them on the cheap when I see them and enjoy.

I also like some of the issues of the 1980s:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I appreciate the innovative designs and materials like dufex foil, acetate, etc. Some modern cards are just plain freakin' cool tech:
I love the 80s and 90s designs...I have a Sandberg collection and its nice that it spans throughout those years...Gives a great chance to see all the different brands and whatnot...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Whoa! Easy there Pops!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Whoa! Easy there Pops!
Yeah, that was a stern no. hahahha

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-21-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 PM

I love some of them...greatly dislike others. The amount of redundant, ridiculously high MSRP products that are out now just do nothing for me. I stick to a few boxes of Heritage and Bowman Draft/Chrome per year, maybe a box of Stadium Club then Series 1 and 2 Upper Deck Hockey and SP Authentic.

I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions. My wife was in the living room with me while I was opening some Heritage last year and pulled a Bryce Harper Gold Refractor numbered to 5. I was thrilled, she dropped a Lisa Frank joke immediately and had me laughing for 10 minutes.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions.
Those early year refractors and even low number serials are valuable. Expecially some of those basketball ones...

An 1999 /100 is not the same as a 2017 /100...
Old 11-23-2017, 08:04 PM

My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Ramble away my friend...Modern is a joke. Manufactured scarcity...I am mostly vintage myself, but collect some modern Cubbies...Mostly autos...
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Just to reiterate my long winded answer. No.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
Poppycock. I love the game of baseball as much as almost anyone. I play softball actively every week (except in the winter) and have for around 50 yrs when including baseball as a youngster. I don't know what a Paul Goldschmidt is nor do I care (no disrespect meant to that person). That doesn't make me not like baseball. I don't like the way pro athletes act, in general. I never really got over the strike in the 1994 season, which ended it, amid salary cap negotiations. Then in the 1987-1994 era, baseball cards were produced by the gazillions and that pretty much killed a lot of the hobby. Then lastly there is manufactured rarity which I don't care for. I like baseball just as much or more than almost anyone. My original answer was much better, "no".

Btw, I think it's great that a lot of collectors love new, shiny cards. I think it's awesome they are at least collecting baseball cards and having fun.
Happy collecting.

Last edited by Leon; 11-24-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 AM

I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.

Last edited by packs; 11-27-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.
I politely disagree. True rarity and manufactured rarity are different to most vintage collectors including me, maybe that is a lot of the issue. Yes, there are some issues that have been made to have scarcities ('33 Lajoie comes to mind) but most sets weren't intended to have scarcer cards. On the other hand the shiny cards that are numbered are made to be rare. Big difference.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I politely disagree. True rarity and manufactured rarity are different to most vintage collectors including me, maybe that is a lot of the issue. Yes, there are some issues that have been made to have scarcities ('33 Lajoie comes to mind) but most sets weren't intended to have scarcer cards. On the other hand the shiny cards that are numbered are made to be rare. Big difference.
Fair point but I think both share something similar. I think some vintage guys like rare backs because it's a scarcer version of a base card. The refractor is the same principle, though it is different in that it's numbered and produced to be scarcer. I feel like there would be some common ground but I think it's one or the other for most.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Fair point but I think both share something similar. I think some vintage guys like rare backs because it's a scarcer version of a base card. The refractor is the same principle, though it is different in that it's numbered and produced to be scarcer. I feel like there would be some common ground but I think it's one or the other for most.
Yeah, that is the way it is for me. But there are far more collectors doing what you are speaking of....I am probably in the 1-2% of members who don't care for MLB or Pro Sports much at all. I would rather spend my time doing something else...It's America after all
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is the way it is for me. But there are far more collectors doing what you are speaking of....I am probably in the 1-2% of members who don't care for MLB or Pro Sports much at all. I would rather spend my time doing something else...It's America after all
Watched/listened to less than 20 baseball games this year. 0 basketball games, 0 hockey games, and absolutely 0 NFL games...Probably going to be the first time I don't watch the Super Bowl in like 30+ years...Bout 80% on that...

Sports is a joke...People are way too obsessed with that nonsense. Straight up detrimental to our society...Shit is on some straight up dummy too. It's the same thing, year after year. HeShePN be on that soap opera type shit too and dudes just be clamoring for it...

I challenge anybody to take 1 year off of sports and listen to intellectual type podcasts and audio books...Come back next season, and you will see what I mean...Straight up dummy, dum, dum type shit...

UltraFineSmallPrint: Kev Mitchell endorses these comments...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Watched/listened to less than 20 baseball games this year. 0 basketball games, 0 hockey games, and absolutely 0 NFL games...Probably going to be the first time I don't watch the Super Bowl in like 30+ years...Bout 80% on that...

Sports is a joke...People are way too obsessed with that nonsense. Straight up detrimental to our society...Shit is on some straight up dummy too. It's the same thing, year after year. HeShePN be on that soap opera type shit too and dudes just be clamoring for it...

I challenge anybody to take 1 year off of sports and listen to intellectual type podcasts and audio books...Come back next season, and you will see what I mean...Straight up dummy, dum, dum type shit...

UltraFineSmallPrint: Kev Mitchell endorses these comments...
Umm.....I only sort of understand that middle bit??? I gather you think sports are stupid? Or that people who like sports are stupid?

And yet you collect sports stuff? Or do you just buy it for the "insert lottery" and the potential money? Or are you just here to occasionally rile up the old folks? (You can look up "rile up" yourself )

I do some more intellectual stuff, although I don't think I'd rate podcasts as being all that highbrow. A lot of the "intellectual" stuff simply bores me more than a bad NBA game (Meaning nearly all of them these days) A bunch of pretentious hacks pondering the "meaning" of a painting of a cheeseburger, or the philosophical implications of a blank book or something. Yawn! (I suspect the real "meaning" of most art is that the artist either got a commission and was happy to get paid, or was making some art hoping to be paid so they could eat. The same applies to most books. Movies are just remakes, so they don't count. )
Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Umm.....I only sort of understand that middle bit??? I gather you think sports are stupid? Or that people who like sports are stupid?

Sports are definitely stupid. I ain't touching that last question, I wouldn't want to "rile" anyone up...

And yet you collect sports stuff? Or do you just buy it for the "insert lottery" and the potential money? Or are you just here to occasionally rile up the old folks? (You can look up "rile up" yourself )

Unfortunately, this is where I am a hypocrite. I have collected baseball cards my entire life and enjoy the organization of everything. I never rip modern, but will snag some modern singles. I collect vintage mostly...I buy, sell and trade to ultimately die never paying for a single card...

The couple of things that I have said on this forum that "riled" people up is laughable...Anyone that has been upset with stuff I have said, is on some straight up snowflake type shit...

I do some more intellectual stuff, although I don't think I'd rate podcasts as being all that highbrow. A lot of the "intellectual" stuff simply bores me more than a bad NBA game (Meaning nearly all of them these days) A bunch of pretentious hacks pondering the "meaning" of a painting of a cheeseburger, or the philosophical implications of a blank book or something. Yawn! (I suspect the real "meaning" of most art is that the artist either got a commission and was happy to get paid, or was making some art hoping to be paid so they could eat. The same applies to most books. Movies are just remakes, so they don't count. )

Some podcasts are super highbrow.

Sam Harris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDpjKdlIxA Pretty good mix of info. But, listen to a few from this dude. He is ultra smart...
Joe Rogan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHMSvSqCDKc One of the greatest podcasts I have ever listened to. Great talk with a physics professor (Sean Carroll) specializing in dark energy and general relativity. The last 30-45 minutes are his thoughts on how the universe started. Woah...

Here are two great podcasts to start with...These shouldn't bore you...You won't find any cheeseburger art critiquing on those podcasts. hahah

Not sure how this turned to art, but art is whatever a person wants to call art...I don't even get into that with people...I write songs, play piano, create graphic designs and produce video content. I consider the majority of that art..
Feel free to shoot me a couple links too...I love finding new people to listen too...

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-29-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Feel free to shoot me a couple links too...I love finding new people to listen too...
LOL Joe Rogan in a drug addled moron on a good day. If you don't take him seriously his pod cast are very funny to listen to. It is awesome when guests facts do not agree his crazy opinions, he acts like a spoiled little kid who just heard NO for the first time.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
LOL Joe Rogan in a drug addled moron on a good day. If you don't take him seriously his pod cast are very funny to listen to. It is awesome when guests facts do not agree his crazy opinions, he acts like a spoiled little kid who just heard NO for the first time.
If you don't think dudes podcasts are valuable information, you might just be listening to the fight companion type shows...I'm not saying all of them, but there are dozens and dozens that will help anyone be a better human...

There is a lot of information that comes out those podcasts that should be taken seriously.

Dude has scientists, college professors, nutritionists and many other types of people as well. You must think dude is doing Fear Factor still or something...

Listen to whatever you want, but at least be somewhat accurate if you're going to hate...
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
If you don't think dudes podcasts are valuable information, you might just be listening to the fight companion type shows...I'm not saying all of them, but there are dozens and dozens that will help anyone be a better human...

There is a lot of information that comes out those podcasts that should be taken seriously.

Dude has scientists, college professors, nutritionists and many other types of people as well. You must think dude is doing Fear Factor still or something...

Listen to whatever you want, but at least be somewhat accurate if you're going to hate...
I like when he talks MMA, he actually knows what he is talking about then even if he is blasted out of his mind on drugs.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I like when he talks MMA, he actually knows what he is talking about then even if he is blasted out of his mind on drugs.
Just the opposite, I don't really mess with the fight shows...

Very rarely is dude so messed up that it is affecting the show in any way...There are a few and they are fitting when it happens...And to mention, he just was completely sober for the entire month of October. Probably said a couple good things then. hahah

Swap alcohol out for the drugs he discusses and this society would be way different. For the better...

If I am being held on this...For intellectual shit, you go with Sam Harris, Sean Carroll or Neil Degrasse Tyson. For higher consciousness you go with Rogan...

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-30-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Had to clarify a couple things. hahah
Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm cool with turning this thread into a discussion about learning and becoming a better human...But, if you're on that drive by media, television conditioning type bullshit, not sure how far it can go. But, I will give it a try...

Tags
carl edwards jr., modern cards, topps chrome