NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default Ruth/sisler photo opinion *experts needed*

So I recently talked with yi about this photo she has. She is convinced this is a 1000-$1500 photo and is willing to bet that it will sell for that much. I would like to get people's opinions if you agree with her or what you think something like this is worth. Thanks guys

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 03-22-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fix word
Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I'm thinking $400 - $600.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree with $400 - $600. Perhaps on the higher end of that range.

That's assuming it's a bit under 8 X 10" size. What is the size, anyway?

Last edited by perezfan; 03-22-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 PM
David Linardy

Default Ruth/ sister

5-600 seems about right for that one..
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I didn't consider size. If it's a full 8x10, I think the $600 is about right. Smaller would be more towards the bottom end of the range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Yi
Banned

Default I bet $200

The bet is:
If the final bid closer to $400, I will pay Joey $200 and 20% off his first bid on my yiauction.net\.com. If the final price is closer to $1000, Joey will pay me $200. I am confidence I will win.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:19 PM

When do auctions start?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Yi,
Don't get me wrong. It is a nice picture, but I don't think it is a $1000-$1500 picture. Sure, in an auction setting anything can happen, but I would be very surprised if it sold above $1000. If this were Ruth with Gehrig or Cobb or Johnson then your estimate would be a lot more likely. Unfortunately for you, Sisler doesn't carry the collecting power of one of the top name HOFers. That is why I chose that price range.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Yi
Banned

I am working on it right now. Hopefully I can finish in one or two month. Because I am a teacher now, not much spare time. If you search online, you can Find it. But I only published home page. Thank you guys!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Yi
Banned

Default need to be proved.

About the price of that photo, maybe your guys are right. But, let's see what will happen. Just a bet, if I am wrong, I will loose my money. But I feel I will win. Let's wait for the proof.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Banned

Yi I'm not going to bet you anything. I posted this so you can get a better understanding of what your stuff is worth. You realize if the photo sells for $200 you have to honor that price because people on here won't be happy if you back out because you don't like the price. I really suggest you talk to a expert before you even think about a auction. You stated to me that you think this Ruth photo is worth 1200-1500. You need to be realistic
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

If this is how you're pricing photos Yi, I think Joey is correct. You should talk to Henry or Rhys or some other photo expert about what would be realistic expectations for your photos.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Banned

Just to be clear yi contacted me and asked if I wanted to buy some more of her photos to help her out since she spent a lot on the software she just purchased. She sent me several scans of photos she was willing to sell..The Ruth being one of them. I made a offer of 650 but she wanted 1200-1500 for just the one. I explained that she needs to be more realistic and that her price was way to high. I think her expectations are very high and I really think at this point if some of her photos don't sell for what she expects she will have a lot of remorse and may back out
Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

You made a very fair offer, IMO. But I can understand her apprehension as well...

It was a learning process for all of us at one time.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

JOEY- Not worth more than $500 IMO. Very nice photo nonetheless.
Albert
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Yi
Banned

The same photo sold $600

at:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=53890

but it happened in 2005. Almost ten years past, the price shoud go up some. That's why I refused Joey to sell on his offer at $325. He was upset with me. I didn't want to offend him, but no way I should sell this photo for $325. Joey, I thought you are a nice guy. I bet with you is just what I could do to refuse this deal in my polite way. You loss nothing for no deal for this photo. I don't understand why you are so upset. I don't like the way you put our private conversation on public. I was trying to be patient to let you calm down. I apologised to you I shoud not have the thought trying to sell any photos before my web settled. I took you as a friend to contact you to tell my difficulty. But sell or not sell is my right. I did not and will not force you to buy any of my photos. Let the market to decide the price! No one is absolutly correct on pricing. Only the fact can prove who is right. Joey, Please, no matter friend or not. Forget this. I never want to hurt anyone. Maybe I am stubbon. Everyone can make mistake. Just forget the unpleasant thing. Ok?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:56 AM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

In fact photo have dropped since 2005. RARE photos still command a premium price. But overall prices have been sliding over the years. The mid 2000's in my opinion was the glory years for original photos. After the economic collapse in 2007-8 photos have declined and not fully recovered, along with other areas in the hobby.

Albert
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Hank Thomas

$300-$400, imo.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

YI I am not upset with you at all. You sent me scans of the photos and asked me to make a offer. I did offer 325 and you quickly said no. I asked you to tell me what you wanted and you said you wanted between 1200-1500 for the one photo. I then offered you 650 and tried to explain to you the market for photos. If the Ruth photo was more significant you might get closer to that number. I posted this to get the experts opinions. I'm not mad at all. But you really need to have a professional look at your photos so you can fully understand what you have and the value you can expect. You need to be realistic and understand once the auction is over you need to honor whatever they sold for. This Ruth might only sell for 400..what if that happens? Are you not going to send it because you don't like the price?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporteq View Post
In fact photo have dropped since 2005. RARE photos still command a premium price. But overall prices have been sliding over the years. The mid 2000's in my opinion was the glory years for original photos. After the economic collapse in 2007-8 photos have declined and not fully recovered, along with other areas in the hobby.

Albert
..uh, no.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
..uh, no.
It's about this photo.

Albert
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporteq View Post
It's about this photo.

Albert
I love lamp?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think this is an easy $200 for Joey. Not sure how selling photos turned into gambling, but Joey should keep running with the easy money and use it to buy more photos at market value.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
I think this is an easy $200 for Joey. Not sure how selling photos turned into gambling, but Joey should keep running with the easy money and use it to buy more photos at market value.
I know nothing about photos, but anything can happen at auction. I've seen items I value at $200-300 go for thousands and items that I value for thousands go for $200-300.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
lmao! well put
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
I know nothing about photos, but anything can happen at auction. I've seen items I value at $200-300 go for thousands and items that I value for thousands go for $200-300.
Yes, but if you are a gambler, you are backing Joey.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Yi
Banned

Frday night when I sent my last mail to Joey(about 2am) said good night, I turned off my computer then, I didn't know Joey sent me an offer $650 almost the same time. Because I typed very slow and also with the virus on my computer, I had to spend a long time to reply his emails. I found his $650 offer email on Saturdy after I left message on Net54. Sorry, That was a mistake on comunication. And also I was too tired, I was unable to identify which photo he chose Friday night. So I couldn't make any decision that night. I work on this Saturday & Sunday too. I was unable to deal or send email to Joey to say sorry. I apologise here. Sorry, Joey. Some things I want to clear: First, I will not sell any Ruth, Gehrig, or Aaron's photos before my auction website settled; Second, I will have some experts to help me on pricing & other things; Third, even with experts on pricing, the real price depens on the need of market-your guys. Last, I will take any advices or suggestions from your guys to build my auction website-a pleasant platform for your collectors. I will give you a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Just an amateur opinion, but doesn't the fact that the photo sold through a reputable auction house justify the higher price? Their exposure to the market is much greater and so many more potential customers will be exposed to the product. Don't you also have to factor in the services that the auction house provides like everything from scanning to advertising to setting up the software and the bid structures? All those things cost money. If I could get half the price that a reputable auction house got I think I'd be thrilled!

If someone sets up their own website auction they have to worry about advertising, shipping, pricing, etc. How would you set minimum bids? Wouldn't you worry that very few people would even find your website? I'd worry that everything I tried to sell would go for the minimum bid - or not sell at all. Plus you'd have to deal with all the shenanigans that can potentially happen with an auction - like actually collecting the money from the bidders! And photos aren't like baseball cards in PSA holders where prices are somewhat established - prices on photos are not as easy to determine - obviously!

If I had these photos I'd find my favorite auction house, let them cut me a check and take the money and run - right to the Bahamas!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

IMO- Most of the time a lot of these big auction houses have a number of very desirable photos that pretty much bury the photo you want to sell, even when you consign a decent cool photo. And NOT everyone just collect photos. If they do, it's a small number. I love photos but sometimes I gotta decided if i want my money to go to a photo I like versus a rare pin, trophy or something else that catches my eye. Also for me, time is money, the amount of time to consign, then get paid it not worth the wait. If you have an epic photo or premier photo that you know without a shadow of doubt may sell for big time monayy it may be worth consigning.

Example- I believe there's a member here that owns a 1906 White Sox brass coat hanger mirror in extremely superb condition. I consigned that item feeling pretty good about the out come.. Well, it failed and I lost out on some benjamins and a great piece. I had decided to consigned bcuz i saw other similar examples going for decent prices. Of course mine fell way short.. haha It's all about timing.

Albert
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Just an amateur opinion, but doesn't the fact that the photo sold through a reputable auction house justify the higher price?
Scott, your points make complete sense, but as Albert said, you really can't tell what will happen. It's true that sometimes a $400 photo can bring $1,000, but a $400 photo is still a $400 photo. If collectors know what an item's market value is, then it's unlikely that a reputable auction house will get a higher premium for it than other venues. In my opinion, consignors are paying for all those services you listed, because they don't want to do it themselves, or don't have the means, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher price.