NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Mexican Magazine - Hit (Brooks Robinson)

I know it's not cards, it's I guess considered memorabilia, but I've been looking for a Spanish magazine for some time, I believe it's called Hit, that pictures Brooks on the cover. Also, I'm not sure of all the details since I've never seen one in person, but the cover should say "el increible!". Does anyone have any connections of an individual and/or company that deals in these type items or have further information on this magazine?

Any help would be wonderful...

Regards,

Mark
Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Brian Erickson

I have a Mays/Aaron. This is what it looks like. Will check to see if I have it. Doubt it, but will look.

IMG_2505.jpg

1958-1961 JAY PUBLISHING PHOTOS-TYPE 1 WILLIE MAYS PORTRAIT-POSE TO NECK
1964 MEADOWGOLD DAIRY PANEL-HAND CUT MANTL / KOUFX / MAYS / MAZERSKI
1968 AMERICAN OIL WILLIE MAYS LEFT SIDE-$10
1969 GLOBE IMPORTS PLAYING CARDS WILLIE MAYS ACE OF HEARTS-CHECKERBOARD BACK
1971 BAZOOKA NUMBERED WILLIE MAYS HAND CUT
Old 03-07-2015, 09:48 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Hit

Brian,

Thanks for the picture of the Mays/Aaron to give me a better idea of what it may look like. Does yours have another player pictured on the back cover? Also, do you know if there's a listing somewhere which describes who is on each of the magazines. I noticed that each one has a specific issue noted on the cover.

Any information would be great...
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Mikeknapp

There was also a magazine named Superhit published in Mexico. I don't own this magazine but here is one with Blass on the cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16RHJH8FHQw)SFnPBR0khIWZFQ~~60_57.jpg (74.7 KB, 182 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Curt

I have one called Beisbol as well (had a Garvey centerfold poster). i'm sure there are several different magazine titles available if you can find them.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Superhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
There was also a magazine named Superhit published in Mexico. I don't own this magazine but here is one with Blass on the cover.
Wonder if the issue w/Blass on the cover is from '71? Figure they would have an issue which highlights the WS.

I've seen the Superhit magazines, but have never seen one w/Brooks pictured. I wonder if it was Superhit at first and then turned into just Hit? I'll need some education on these issues I guess...

I believe that, at least w/the Hit issue, the magazine has a player picture on both the front and the back cover. If so, I'd like to know what the other player is that is pictured so I can search for this as well.

Thanks for the help with the search.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Beisbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I have one called Beisbol as well (had a Garvey centerfold poster). i'm sure there are several different magazine titles available if you can find them.
Curt,

Do you happen to know if Brooks was pictured on any of Beisbol mags? Also, was Garvey featured on the front/back covers?

Every once in a while a US issue magazine, pamphlet, insert etc. will surface that I've never seen before, but the foreign issues are even more cool to me (even though I can't read them
Old 03-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Curt

I have not seen a mexican cover with Garvey and I don't know anything about the periodical other than the copy I have. It would be cool if there were some collectors from Mexico who could provide additional information on these types of issues.

With the internet, message boards and blogs so prevalent, it seems more information would surface, but it seems slow to come.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Curt

Last edited by mrmopar; 03-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Curt

Looks like this may have been a special edition by "Hit". $10 in 1978!!

Last edited by mrmopar; 03-08-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Brian Erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Brian,

Thanks for the picture of the Mays/Aaron to give me a better idea of what it may look like. Does yours have another player pictured on the back cover? Also, do you know if there's a listing somewhere which describes who is on each of the magazines. I noticed that each one has a specific issue noted on the cover.

Any information would be great...
Hi Mark,

Nothing on the back of the issue I posted but a Don Q Rum Ad.
I'm unsure of a checklist, unfortunately. I checked my stockpile, too, and found one other issue with Mays on in from 1973 - the $10 variety that Curt posted.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Brian

Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Brian Erickson

Also, here's a scan of a Beisbol magazine from 1955.
Not sure who that is on the cover.

2Q==.jpg

Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Beisbol

Thanks you guys for giving me the information that you have!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Elusive

I have searched out foreign magazines with Clemente on the cover for significant Clemente content for year. Finding these magazines with any player on the cover is a bit of a challenge - looking for specific players - good luck! The Clemente's I have I picked up long ago. I have never seen a checklist for the hit magazines. These magazines are the coolest (and rarest)! Good luck finding your Brooks!

-Howard

Ps. I have a Japanese magazine with Brooks, Powell and Frank Robinson (if my memory serves me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr magazine lot.jpg (69.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Clemente

Howard,

Is it possible to get a listing of the titles of the foreign magazines in which you have found w/Clemente pictured on the cover and/or back cover? I can read some of the magazine titles that you pictured, and I understand it's a different player, but it would at least give me more avenues to see if Brooks was on one of these magazine titles as well. Like I said in a previous post, once in a while a Brooks magazine comes along that I never even knew existed and the foreign magazines are definitely a difficult find. Makes for a fun hunt if I know they are out there, but I sure don't know all that's out there for Brooksie.

Also, I have a '71 Japanese magazine picturing Frank, Brooks and Boog, but I don' think it's in the greatest condition. Is your's nice? If so, I'd love to see it...

Thanks for the input; I appreciate it!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Looks like this may have been a special edition by "Hit". $10 in 1978!!
I'm pretty sure that would have been 10 pesos and not 10 dollars. Back then it would have been about 8 pesos to the dollar, so it would have been about a buck and a quarter.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Curt

I didn't realize that denoting peso amounts used the same or similar ($) sign as well. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
I'm pretty sure that would have been 10 pesos and not 10 dollars. Back then it would have been about 8 pesos to the dollar, so it would have been about a buck and a quarter.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Michael

Yeah, the Mexican peso uses the same symbol ($).

However, I think my memory was off somewhat. I'm about 4 hours away from the border and used to go down there once in a while in the '70s and early '80s with friends. I would always buy 6-packs of XXX Cerveza (Tres Equis) (which they don't make anymore) to bring back for 15 pesos which I remember as being $1.25 American. So back then it would have been 12 pesos to the dollar making the magazine price less than one American dollar.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Garvey

That Garvey insert is way cool! You "need" to go ahead and post that in the unusual Garvey items collector thread. By the way, how did you know that this was inserted in the mag? Love to find an insert like that of Brooksie!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Curt

it must have been shown or mentioned in the listing, otherwise I would probably not own it now.

Quote:
That Garvey insert is way cool! You "need" to go ahead and post that in the unusual Garvey items collector thread. By the way, how did you know that this was inserted in the mag? Love to find an insert like that of Brooksie!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Howard Chasser

Default When I have some time

Quote:
Howard,

Is it possible to get a listing of the titles of the foreign magazines in which you have found w/Clemente pictured on the cover and/or back cover? I can read some of the magazine titles that you pictured, and I understand it's a different player, but it would at least give me more avenues to see if Brooks was on one of these magazine titles as well. Like I said in a previous post, once in a while a Brooks magazine comes along that I never even knew existed and the foreign magazines are definitely a difficult find. Makes for a fun hunt if I know they are out there, but I sure don't know all that's out there for Brooksie.

Also, I have a '71 Japanese magazine picturing Frank, Brooks and Boog, but I don' think it's in the greatest condition. Is your's nice? If so, I'd love to see it...

Thanks for the input; I appreciate it!

Life is a bit hectic right now. I will try to take a look and develop a list when I have some time - another related area of collecting for me has been foreign newspapers with cover photo or content - I have an AWESOME paper with photo on cover from 1954 when Clemente was in Montreal as well as some from Puerto Rico - mostly around his death, but a couple from his playing days.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Clemente

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Life is a bit hectic right now. I will try to take a look and develop a list when I have some time - another related area of collecting for me has been foreign newspapers with cover photo or content - I have an AWESOME paper with photo on cover from 1954 when Clemente was in Montreal as well as some from Puerto Rico - mostly around his death, but a couple from his playing days.
Howard,

Take your time and when life slows down a little for you a listing would be great. Also, I'd love to see all of the pictures of your Clemente magazines, pamphlets, newspapers, inserts, etc. As a single player collector I can admire others collections as well, especially when it comes to a player that I admired from the past like Roberto.