NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 View Post
Picked these up last week. The box one looks blue in person, and the one on the left is very clear very little red to it.
Great pick ups. I hoard these cards. It is actually a sickness, when I see one cheap I just have to buy it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
david

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Great pick ups. I hoard these cards. It is actually a sickness, when I see one cheap I just have to buy it.
me too, off and on if i see a cheap johnson or ripken fleer i am on it.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 View Post
me too, off and on if i see a cheap johnson or ripken fleer i am on it.
LOL, I hoard the Ripken and all it versions also. I just sold 1 of the 5 graded Ripken Mystery Cards.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Mark Ness

I'm glad I found this thread as I am also an 89 fleer errors hoarder. I've purchased tons of boxes searching for the clear Marlboro sign and the Ripken white out version (most rare one). I have pulled many of the Marlboro versions but none with the sign completely visible. I have many that look like it could be it until I saw the blog. Does anybody know the # on the cases of the early productions before the ad was first partially blocked out? Also, does anybody know which cases would contain the Ripken white out versions? I've pulled many FF ripkens and other errors but no Boggs. I'm under the impression that the Marlboro sign fully visible versions got corrected so early on that those boxes do not exist anymore. Somebody please help!!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus35 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread as I am also an 89 fleer errors hoarder. I've purchased tons of boxes searching for the clear Marlboro sign and the Ripken white out version (most rare one). I have pulled many of the Marlboro versions but none with the sign completely visible. I have many that look like it could be it until I saw the blog. Does anybody know the # on the cases of the early productions before the ad was first partially blocked out? Also, does anybody know which cases would contain the Ripken white out versions? I've pulled many FF ripkens and other errors but no Boggs. I'm under the impression that the Marlboro sign fully visible versions got corrected so early on that those boxes do not exist anymore. Somebody please help!!
I don't know the case # for the Johnson error, it was completely corrected way before the Ripkens. I have an insane collection of both cards and have never seen a nonaltered version of the Ripken whiteout or the Johnson clear sign. I also know most of the guys with insane collections of both and not a single one of them has pulled either from a pack.

On the Ripken whiteout the top collectors don't even agree on what is real and what is fake. I know for a fact that PSA and Beckett has graded many obvious altered cards.

As for the Boggs, I have been hording it since the beginning and have 3 total. I pack pulled 1, a friend pack pulled 1 he gave me about a year ago, and I got 1 from a guy on the BO forum. Besides those 3 I have only seen maybe 3 others total.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus35 View Post
Do you have all 3 versions of the Johnson Green Scribble? There is a version with just the black blob that covers the word Marlboro. There is a version with the blob plus a black bar through the middle of the blob. Then there is a version with just the black bar through the word Marlboro. On the last version you can clearly see the tops of the letters l and b. The last one was by far the hardest version for me to find. It took me a couple years to track one down.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-24-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Do you have all 3 versions of the Johnson Green Scribble? There is a version with just the black blob that covers the word Marlboro. There is a version with the blob plus a black bar through the middle of the blob. Then there is a version with just the black bar through the word Marlboro. On the last version you can clearly see the tops of the letters l and b. The last one was by far the hardest version for me to find. It took me a couple years to track one down.
I think Fleer actually made 2 different attempts(possibly more) of the "black scribble/green scribble" cards. Within each attempt the cards can be found with very little green tinting up to a large amount of green tinting. You can read the Marlboro on the lightly tinted cards and as the cards get more tinting the Marlboro becomes indistinguishable.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Dylan

Not mine, and definitely not a "green tint." The graders are really all over the place with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Fleer-Randy-Johnson-Marlboro-Green-Tint-Error-381-BGS-9-5-GEM-MINT-/332407080631?epid=92300278&hash=item4d650186b7:g uYAAOSwlp1Z2~gV

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Images

I created a Flickr album to post images of all the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson error cards we’ve collected. There are about 150 images in there so far and I hope to have all the images(over 1000) in there before we reach the 30th anniversary of these cards being released. Having access to this number of cards has helped me form some opinions on these cards and I wanted to share that opportunity with others.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarlborocatalog/
Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
I created a Flickr album to post images of all the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson error cards we’ve collected. There are about 150 images in there so far and I hope to have all the images(over 1000) in there before we reach the 30th anniversary of these cards being released. Having access to this number of cards has helped me form some opinions on these cards and I wanted to share that opportunity with others.

Would love to hear your opinions on these cards. I own a few hundred myself.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Dylan

Quote:

This is really cool. Thanks!

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Would love to hear your opinions on these cards. I own a few hundred myself.
My plan is to get most of the images on there, add descriptions and then sort the albums by variation type. I’m hoping by sorting them that way it will help highlight the similarities and difference in the cards.
I’ve hit a little snafu in uploading to Flickr. When we first started scanning the cards we used low resolution scans in bmp format. Once we started using 600 dpi those files started getting larger so we moved over to pdf format to help with file sizes. I’ve uploaded all the bmp files we had to Flickr, but Flickr won’t let you upload pdf files so now I need to convert the files to a format that is compatible there.
I also plan on posting all the information we have about the cards and my theories on the variations. We created a database of the cards we have to track some of the features on them that change. We still have another 500 cards to scan and load into the database, so I have some work to do, but I’m excited to share this info.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM
david

This is great, thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
My plan is to get most of the images on there, add descriptions and then sort the albums by variation type. I’m hoping by sorting them that way it will help highlight the similarities and difference in the cards.
I’ve hit a little snafu in uploading to Flickr. When we first started scanning the cards we used low resolution scans in bmp format. Once we started using 600 dpi those files started getting larger so we moved over to pdf format to help with file sizes. I’ve uploaded all the bmp files we had to Flickr, but Flickr won’t let you upload pdf files so now I need to convert the files to a format that is compatible there.
I also plan on posting all the information we have about the cards and my theories on the variations. We created a database of the cards we have to track some of the features on them that change. We still have another 500 cards to scan and load into the database, so I have some work to do, but I’m excited to share this info.

I found this blank back fantasy superfractor today while cleaning up my card room. If you would like it for your collection PM me your address and I will send it to you.

Can't wait for you to finish your project and share your info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hatorade.jpg (75.6 KB, 78 views)