NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Default Michael Jordan Upper Deck RC!?!?!?!?

I'm hoping some board members can provide opinions and help clarify this for me.

Jordan has a 1991 issue of him as a basketball player "fooling around" in a baseball uniform. It was a short printed special promo card. He also has a 1994 standard issue Star Rookies card depicting the baseball player Michael Jordan.

I always considered 1994 as his baseball RC. I don't feel that a special promo card of Jordan the basketball player should be labeled a baseball RC over the first standard card of Jordan the baseball player. The Beckett 2017 annual guide seems to share this reasoning. However, certain grading companies seem to identify the 1991 promo issue as Jordans labeled RC and not the 1994 issue.

I have submitted my 1994 issue Jordan for grading and just noticed that the label will not include the RC designation. To be honest, I did not submit the card for reasons regarding the value of the card. I just thought it would be great to own a highly graded Michael Jordan RC.......I have sent an email to the research department of the grading company I submitted the card to and am waiting for an official response.

How does the Net54 community feel about this?!?!

Jeff
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Al Richter

You might also post this in the basketball forum to get more looks by folks who collect Jordan cards. If I had a vote between the 2 you mention I would go with 94

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Todd

Default 1994

The 1991 is a great looking card - but I agree, his baseball rookie is 1994. For my collection, I went with both the 1991 and the 1994 Upper Deck FunPack.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Al Richter

Is this the 91 card you are talking about ? Seems to have baseball logo on it

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM

That is in fact the 1991 issue I am talking about. He wore a White Sox uniform and took BP swings for fun. UD captured the moment and used it for a special promo card. My opinion is he was a basketball player and great athlete who used his status to obtain a great, fun opportunity. He was not officially a baseball player until the 1994 issue. It is a unique situation without a doubt.....Thanks for posting that photo.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Al Richter

You might look at the discussion on the main board about the Mantle rookie card. Included is a discussion about whether a true rookie card needs to occur in year the player actually played, and at what level.

As with most hobby debates there is no official hobby arbiter to decide such questions. Opinions vary. Are you using PSA ? Do all the grading companies come out in the same place on this ?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 AM
bobby

Default Birmingham barrons

when Jordan was there getting a ticket was a big deal. they were scalping $15 dollar tickets for hundreds. I like the 91?. I have seen a minor league set that has a Jordan auto on top. I have never seen one for sale?.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 AM

I can't find any examples of PSA or Beckett labeling RC on either UD issue. SGC has graded examples of the 91 being a RC which conflicts with the annual beckett guide and what I've always thought since 1994.....Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:09 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
You might look at the discussion on the main board about the Mantle rookie card. Included is a discussion about whether a true rookie card needs to occur in year the player actually played, and at what level.

As with most hobby debates there is no official hobby arbiter to decide such questions. Opinions vary. Are you using PSA ? Do all the grading companies come out in the same place on this ?
I think the Mantle discussion is a completely different beast. Mantle was a baseball player in 1951 and Bowman made a card for him. In 1952 Topps issued a card which is arguably the most iconic card in the hobby along with the Wagner. So a lot of people refer to it as his RC. I'm sure that is part marketing and part Topps bias in the hobby.

The Jordan issue seems cut and dry. If Michael Jordan never played minor league baseball would the 1991 card be a rookie card? No. Just a fun special card to try and get people to spend more money on packs to get one. In 1994 he switches to baseball and boom 1991 is his RC? I don't think so.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

I used to own both of those cards as a kid. Probably have them in a box somewhere. Since he never made it to the majors both may be considered XRCs but I'm fine with either being referred to as a RC.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM

The official email response from SGC states that if Jordan actually made it to the big leagues and had a MLB debut, they would consider labeling the 1994 issue as a RC. That being said, he did not make a debut so they will use their discretion by labeling the 1991 issue as a RC instead.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Al Richter

Marchillo---I was not saying I think the Mantle card itself is analogous. In that thread though there is a discussion about the parameters for determining a rookie card, including whether it should coincide with a year in which the player actually appeared in games and at what level. I do think that is related to the discussion here

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAP78 View Post
The official email response from SGC states that if Jordan actually made it to the big leagues and had a MLB debut, they would consider labeling the 1994 issue as a RC. That being said, he did not make a debut so they will use their discretion by labeling the 1991 issue as a RC instead.
Sounds about right. I actually remember pulling the electric diamond variation of the 94 card in a pack. I was pretty excited at the time.