NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Wayne Walker

Default Check this Joe Jackson auto out

With a nice Pete auto to boot

This is what I call a Frankencard. Damn.

http://pristineauction.com/auctions/...ails/id/69680/

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Brock

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. How can you authenticate something with two letters.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

What a joke ......PSA ....pretty stupid authentication .....DNA ...... don't know authenticaters .....

PSA....please stop authenticating
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT PIECE OF CRAP!! Shame on anyone involved in making that cluster...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

What is crazy is that there are actually 10 bids and it is up to almost $2,500.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What a joke ......PSA ....pretty stupid authentication .....DNA ...... don't know authenticaters .....

PSA....please stop authenticating
Why are you so sure it is fake?? Can you please offer some thoughts other than Psa is wrong?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Its a J. It could be anyone's J. There isn't enough there to ever be "right."
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Everybody knows that is his sister's autograph....Joe actually used an "e" at the end of his name.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

its a cut from this auction, they are still making assumptions that it is legit because it accompanies two others autographs. but that is psa style of doing things. its not enough of an autograph to authenticate. you have to authenticate each autograph.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...&lotIdNo=37052

Last edited by travrosty; 10-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. How can you authenticate something with two letters.
++
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Why are you so sure it is fake?? Can you please offer some thoughts other than Psa is wrong?
PSA has to prove that they are right. How did they do that with that two letter squiggle?
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
PSA has to prove that they are right. How did they do that with that two letter squiggle?
Perhaps they have proof it is right Richard. All you do is bash psa and jsa on here man. It is really getting tiresome. You obviously have a axe to grind and it is personal. You call them the alphabet guys, talk about tombs.. etc etc. Do you charge for authenticating?? If you think it is bad, prove it. PERIOD

Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Everybody knows that is his sister's autograph....Joe actually used an "e" at the end of his name.
REALLY?? Everybody knows that?? He was illiterate for God's sake. You don't think through the process he might have mixed it up a bit?

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-04-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
In my opinion, PSA does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust PSA. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Chuck Tapia

the stupidest most ridiculous thing I've ever seen...and it's a HALF of a "J".

Having their name attached to that drec, authentic or not, only knocks "the alphabets" down another rung.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
in my opinion, psa does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust psa. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!
true that.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

PSA and JSA don't get bashed just for being PSA & JSA......they get bashed for their incompetence, their know it all attitude, their inability to know basic authentication procedures, their authentication of laser prints, items manufactured after the death of players, autographs were their are no known exemplers, wife, ghost, batboy, managers, etc...etc. Just their pure incompetence for being...as they state...the world's largest authentication company....and by implied reference...the best.

Of course....a lot of people just think they suck...period.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
PSA and JSA don't get bashed just for being PSA & JSA......they get bashed for their incompetence, their know it all attitude, their inability to know basic authentication procedures, their authentication of laser prints, items manufactured after the death of players, autographs were their are no known exemplers, wife, ghost, batboy, managers, etc...etc. Just their pure incompetence for being...as they state...the world's largest authentication company....and by implied reference...the best.

+1
Old 10-20-2012, 03:11 PM
pariah1107

How many barely literate people could there have been in the early 1900's with a name starting with "J"? IT HAS TO BE SHOELESS JOE!

Last edited by pariah1107; 10-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 PM

The partial signature was cut from the back of an envelope--sent to Jackson--upon which Jackson "practiced" signing--it contained two complete signatures, as well as the partial. It had been sold at auction (Heritage) for $45,000, and had been authenticated by PSA.

Cutting up that envelope was a crime. Without the association with the Jackson envelope, that "Jo" is worthless.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

they authenticate by association, thats what i find disturbing. because the cert says it matches exemplars, and Mr. Atkatz is right, if you send that in all by itself, it wouldnt get the cert, or at least i hope it wouldn't.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:

With the pure volume of sigs authenticated out there(by psa and jsa), they are bound to make mistakes just like everyone else. It is not an exact science. I am pretty sure that the "experts" on here bashing them have made mistakes too and taken money doing it. Actually, I think examples were even posted on here before. Maybe one should ask themselves how they had proven items authentic that were in fact not?? I wonder if those same "experts" were given a chance to authenticate the same volume, and say psa or jsa hired a sorry soul to spend all of his/her free time to look for their mistakes(or potential mistakes), if the percentage of mistakes would be lower. I would bet NOT. Collectors.. be careful what you ask for is all I gotta say. This particular piece, was part of a lot(which David shared). This is obviously a variable. So for those who think "how can psa authenticate a 2 letters".. well there is your answer. I bet you think it is impossible to give an OPINION of TY in a Ty Cobb letter too huh??? Ridiculous..

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
they authenticate by association, thats what i find disturbing. because the cert says it matches exemplars, and Mr. Atkatz is right, if you send that in all by itself, it wouldnt get the cert, or at least i hope it wouldn't.
It is a F N OPINION TRAVIS. You gauge everything available and form one. Do you refuse to give an opinion or buy something when you have not seen the person sign it??? So they have exemplars and it was on a piece by association. How is that disturbing??? These are two facts that were available to them to form an OPINION. Also, how do you know they were the only variables?
This is Travis right? Sometimes I am not sure as your writing styles seem to vary from time to time.

Signing off for now..

Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Default JimStinson

I thought it was a picture of a butterfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5woNs9WRE
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I stand by what I stated Ben......and these reasons are valid and have been proven numerous times. Just because they may take in more then they can handle...it is no excuse for their inability to get it right. If they can't take the time on each item that is required for a professional and correct assessment....then they should hire more people...cut down on their acceptance....or go out of business. It's not like they just started this...they have been at it for 13 years.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The partial signature was cut from the back of an envelope--sent to Jackson--upon which Jackson "practiced" signing--it contained two complete signatures, as well as the partial. It had been sold at auction (Heritage) for $45,000, and had been authenticated by PSA.

Cutting up that envelope was a crime. Without the association with the Jackson envelope, that "Jo" is worthless.

I agree. What a shame. Turned a nice piece of memorabilia into a piece of ....
Disgusting.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
I agree. What a shame. Turned a nice piece of memorabilia into a piece of ....
Disgusting.
There is little doubt the other two signatures will show up as separate cuts as well. Three Jacksons for the price of one...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

You mean 2.2 for the price of one...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
There is little doubt the other two signatures will show up as separate cuts as well. Three Jacksons for the price of one...
While most of us will agree that it's a travesty this was done, they forked out the 48K+, so they can do with it what they want.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Scott

Card looks like crap.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
$teve O.

It looks worse than crap.

Last edited by 39special; 10-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
While most of us will agree that it's a travesty this was done, they forked out the 48K+, so they can do with it what they want.
Legally, yes, of course. But it's still wrong.

As collectors, we are merely caretakers. These artifacts existed before we were born, and they'll still be around--if we do our jobs--when we're gone.

The argument "He bought it, so he can do whatever he wants," is bullshit.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
In my opinion, PSA does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust PSA. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!
My problem with this statement is that most people don't think that they are getting just an "opinion", they feel that they are getting a guarantee when they get something authenticated.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

+++

And add authentication of autopen signatures to your list of screwups.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:

As collectors, we are merely caretakers. These artifacts existed before we were born, and they'll still be around--if we do our jobs--when we're gone.

I'm not saying it's right, believe me, I hate seeing such a beautiful letter and envelope cut up. He owns it though, and it's his legal right to do what he wants.

Navarro gets his rookie cards signed, a lot of the card guys don't agree with him, but it's his right also (and for the record, as an autograph guy, I like that Navarro does that.)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade

Navarro gets his rookie cards signed, a lot of the card guys don't agree with him, but it's his right also (and for the record, as an autograph guy, I like that Navarro does that.)
I resemble that remark
Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I resemble that remark
And resemble it well!!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Shoeless Joe Jackson Signatures are never pretty, but they sure are worth owning. They demand pretty big bucks at auction.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Is it really a signature if a guy just writes out some partial letters from his name? If I had an HO written by Honus Wagner is that a signature? What about a C from a Cobb signature? I should start cutting my signatures into first and last and double my sales.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM

shoeless Joe collectors wont care.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Default JimStinson

This sounds crazy but its true... but over 100 years ago, Collectors/dealers would take a George Washington letter or a Abe Lincoln letter or a Thomas Jefferson letter and slash it into individual "words" and mat with a photo and sell it , so its not a NEW thing. And I could be wrong BUT a letter signed by one of the above MIGHT have more historical importance than a guy who could not even write and sold out his own team mates
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Have to disagree, Jim. A century ago, collectors did not mat autographs with photos. And the slicing up of letters into individual words is quite a modern phenomena. (In defense of those that do that sort of thing, though, it is usually an unsigned manuscript that is minced.)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

Default JimStinson

David Not a problem see....

http://www.amazon.com/Autographs-Col.../dp/B00005VH8Y

This was written in 1960. Maybe i was wrong in using the word "matted" as I agree with you it can be confusing , BUT they did sell individual "words" and later (who knows when) matted and sold them
Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 PM

I've got a copy, Jim. (And it's been inscribed by Mary Benjamin herself. )
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrguana View Post
Shoeless Joe Jackson Signatures are never pretty, but they sure are worth owning. They demand pretty big bucks at auction.
Why didn't you want to tell the others you are the owner of it?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM

I dont really care for too much attention. Auction ends Weds Nov 7th. Thank you to everyone who has checked it out. http://pristineauction.com/auctions/...ails/id/69680/http://pristineauction.com/auctions/...ails/id/69680/
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Jake

Quote:

Please note that I do agree with you.

But, what do you say about automobiles going to the junkyard. MANY people consider those works of art. While, yes you most likely won't see a Ferrari, you may see an old Benz or even a Rolls Royce past its prime.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Many a junkyard Benz or Rolls is bought and restored. Even a lowly VW beetle is saved from returning to the iron oxide from whence it came. (I know, 'cause I own one.)
Old 11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Jake

Quote:
Many a junkyard Benz or Rolls is bought and restored. Even a lowly VW beetle is saved from returning to the iron oxide from whence it came. (I know, 'cause I own one.)
Many are, but many aren't. Do you still believe that the owner doesn't have the right to discard of it?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Hey, Jake. If you've followed this thread, you should have seen that I gave up. I'm not arguing. Do whatever the hell you like with your stuff; there are far more important things in the world for me to worry about.

I will continue, however, to preserve those artifacts that have been intrusted to my care.