NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Lee and Jay - check this out regarding SGC!

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I received an e-mail this morning from Sean Skeffington (SGC Vice Pres. of Operations) regarding the Rhoades O/C card I recently purchased which was graded SGC 60. He offered to buy the card from me for $50, b/c he felt the card does not warrant a grade of SGC 60. Now, I am even more pleased with SGC and the way they conduct business. This is another example of how SGC goes above and beyond the call of duty!

Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

Thats very impressive on sgc's part, they seem like they are good people.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Is that what you paid for it?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

I believe he only paid $40 for it.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Administrator

$42 (I sent the Money Order out today). The $50 offer was basically to cover my shipping and insurance for the card and to get it to SGC. SGC is certainly a class act!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

Did someone contact him about it or did he find out by reading this board?
Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5203205229

Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

very cool of SGC!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Maybe it's me. But I don't follow why this is such a great thing for Scott.

Scott, you just placed a bid on this card just a few days ago. It was a card that you obviously wanted and the price was either OK since you bid that amount or it was a fantastic price if the winning price was much lower than your maximum bid.

Now SGC sees the card and deems it's not worthy of the grade and sends you the same amount of money that you paid for the card (basically). And this is a good thing for you?

If I bought that card at that price, I would prefer to have the card rather than the $42. That would be the reason why I bid on the card. If I would have prefered not to have the $42 instead of the card, I would have never bid on it and just drove to a baseball game or somewhere and spent my money elsewhere. To have someone offer you the same amount of money for the card would be the same as your not bidding on it at all. Wouldn't it?

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

What does SGC do with the card after they buy it?

Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Sean Skeffington - My compliments. That's the right way to run a business...and the smart way.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I totally understand where you are coming from. I thought the card was a great deal at that price. No, I would not have sold it for $50 (I would have kept it). However, SGC does not want the card in their holder and I completely understand their point. I am certainly not getting rich off of the deal. However, I am a true collector, and when I see a grading company try as hard as SGC, I feel the right thing to do is to accept their offer and be happy they are so honest! Anyone who loves OUR Hobby as much as I do would have done the same thing. It is just great for OUR Hobby to know a grading company cares as much as we do.

I don't know how Sean knew to contact me - I did not ask. One can only assume he either saw the auction or reads this board.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I would guess that this board is read by SGC representatives.

SGC probably appreciates the support that they get from most board members. However, basically paying you the same price for the card seems a bit absurd. Scott, I would have thought that they could have at least offered a little more on top of what you paid for it, just to make it worth the time spent by you in obtaining the card. Either that or they could have bid on it and won it at auction.

SGC is lucky you are someone that likes their product/service and were willing to sell it to them at (basically) your cost. Hopefully SGC will comp you a about a dozen free grades for your trouble.

Yes, this does demonstrate that SGC does care about their product and services. Lets just hope this isn't SGC trying to pull off a nicely timed publicity stunt.

SGC does seem superior in many respects when compared to another main grader based out of Orange County California that seems to get bashed on this board, quite often. Lets not turn this into another "grading company based in Orange County California" bashing thread.

Nice going SGC!

Old 06-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Scott,

It was a good thing to do. But this is how I would have handled it if I was the head of SGC.

I would have taken the card. Put it in a 30 or 40 holder. That is probably where it belongs. Then I would have given you back the card in that holder and sent you a check for $32 ($42 - $10 for switching holder fees). Then everyone is very happy. The card isn't overgraded and you get a card that you want for next to nothing!

Just my two cents.

Maybe Big Brother SGC is watching and will give you this present, which isn't out of line at all.

Cy

Old 06-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Like I have stated, I think returning the card to SGC is good for the Hobby. I like to make a profit just as much as the next person (b/c that means I can buy more cards). However, I do not want to cash in on SGC's mistake. They seem to be honest enough in their offer. I will be honest enough to accept it.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

SGC reads this board. And I am not surprised this time, they are just damn good! PSA bashing please continue, those slimes would never do this!

Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

SGC does moniter the board on occasion because they realize the power this board wields, and alot of there customers are from this board. I have on occasion called them to inform them if there is an issue with them they might be interested in, basically for the same reason the Scott E. has given. They make an effort to right there wrongs and there grading to me is more consitant.

I agree with CY in the fact that SGC should reholder the card in the proper grade and compensate Scott with his postage and a few gradings. What Scott is doing is very commendable.

Lee

Old 06-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

If SGC reads this board, they sure haven't budged on the issue of slabbing hand cut Zeenuts and other cards but refusing to slab hand cut 1909 Obaks despite the fact the majority are hand cut from sheets.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I received the Rhoades today. So, I e-mailed Sean @ SGC letting him know I will be sending the card to his attention tomorrow. Sean e-mailed me back letting me know that SGC will also regrade the card and send it back to me, in addition to the $50. I believe they have won all my future grading business!

Old 06-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That's good service.....We all make mistakes but it's how we handle them that counts. I do know that some SGC folks read the board. I hope PSA ones do too....but they have probably banned themselves from us

Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

That has to hurt...

SGC is a class act all the way.