NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default Same old question, but it is killing me!

Posted By: Bryan Long

I have to get this off my chest and I wonder how many people feel the same way. I have a very limited budget - very limited! I love my pre-war cards, but how many people have practically stopped collecting because of the prices that our pre-war cardboard is now bringing? I am a set collector at heart - even though I try to say I am not at times, but the prices lately are killing me and my collection. I constantly want a flow of cards coming in to satisfy my needs as a collector. It is getting harder and harder to accomplish this with the way prices are now. Spending $75 or more on a SGC 10 e93 common is simply too much for me to handle. It has come to the point where I am only buying a card once every couple of months.
I find myself leaning towards collecting 40s and 50s cards just so that I can have that feeling of collecting again. Do others feel the same way?
I am heading to the Nationals this year and find myself wondering . . . will I even have enough cash saved up to buy some of the pre-war stuff that I need or should I just go ahead and finished that darn 48 bowman set that I started 1 year ago?
I know that I am venting and this has become way too long, but I am curious to know how other collectors deal with this.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Bryan...I'm in the same boat believe me. For me, when I don't have the cash to make purchase after purchase, that is when I find myself trading or selling one card to buy another...I'm not really getting anywhere that way...but it does rotate my collection around a bit. Oh how wonderful the old days must have been.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

Bryan, I am in exactly the same boat as you. In fact your post is VERY timely in that I have decided to get out of the vintage market entirely. I'm going to be selling nearly all of my cards. Maybe when I'm older, and the kids are out of the house (17 years from now) I'll pick it up again. I love the cards but have too much tied up into them and have no hope of attaining any sets based on the skewed pricing even from two to three years ago. I won't leave the board, I enjoy reading and learing about the collections and history too much. I'll just enjoy the digital scans of the cards I once owned.

Maybe in 15 - 20 years things will be more reasonable.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

My wants are going up exponentially, but my purchases have started to slow, and even more importantly, my eagerness and willingness to spend has been dropping steadily for some time with this rising market.
I started the year way too strong and now need to back off some.

You are correct, and I think your thoughts on diverting your attention towards more affordable areas is natural and common...if things become less satisfying, people will adjust in order to try and maintain their level of happiness...but I'm not sure that 1980s cards are going to make a comeback...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If the trend continues, vintage cards will become more expensive and it will become nearly impossible for collectors on a budget to participate.

However, cards from the 40's and 50's are now more than half a century old, so maybe start looking at them as vintage. There's really nothing you can do about rising prices.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Yes, I am certainly getting priced out of the market. The only good thing is I have cards worth a lot more than I paid for them in the 80's.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Bryan, perhaps a change in focus from color caramels which are incredibly popular and expensive right now - to the B&W caramel/bread/foods, strips, Exhibits, and other issues from the 20's and 30's could supply some ongoing enjoyment.....
Cards from many of these issues can still be picked up for less than $30-$40 for commons, and HOFers are not nearly as expensive as 1910 era E cards. You still get great players, some great portraiture and actions shots, the history, and more importantly - the cardboard itself is available with far less competition.
Then there are always pins which are a fraction of the price of cardboard, that could maybe keep juicing your collective spirits.

I really recommend NOT going cold turkey.......it could drive you to all kinds of horrible compulsions; Non Sports, Beanie babies, Franklin Mint plates...YIKES!

Hope you find a way out.

Regards
Daniel

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one. I had this conversation just last night with a good friend of mine who got out of the pre-war marketing and starting collecting 50s, 60s and 70s sets again.

I have even thought about leaving the pre-war market altogether, but the thought of not having or getting any pre-war cards just kill me as that is my true love in the hobby. But I don't think it is possible for me to collect pre-war and have any fun at it. Just look at the two big auctions going on right now. I have almost been priced out of every lot on the board that I would have any interest in at all.

I must admit that the only cards that I will most likely be buying now will be the rare opportunity when I can pick up an e93 beater that I will need for my set. Once that is done I don't see me starting another pre-war set anytime soon.

I guess I'll be finishing that 48 bowman set afterall, and then starting another post-war collection. I am sad by this. As I said above . . . pre-war cardboard is my real love in the hobby.

EDITED TO COMMENT ON DANIEL'S POST: Thanks for the options, but I have very starnge collecting habits - just ask those who know me. I have never been a fan of "large card" (Exhibits) and I hate the strip cards simply because they are mostly cut by hand or simply have horrible artwork. I love the small tobacco/caramel cards for some reason. But, I also like the larger Topps and Bowman type cards as well - just a little too new for me. I do think that maybe the 40s and early 50s are the way to go for me now. At least for the time being.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Bryan- as mentioned you should look at some other pre-war sets...and pick up the early E's whenever there is a good deal. The e120 and e121, while black and white, still have some great poses, great HOF'ers, and aren't terribly expensive. I picked up a group of about 6 E120's with Joe Wood for about $100 a few months ago on ebay.....it can be done.....otherwise, I have to agree with you. I tell folks all of the time that I could never afford to buy my collection today...best regards and see you at the National..

Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Bryan:

I was saying the exact same thing a few nights ago on the chat. I also started to pick up a few 1952 Bowman catchers since I have been lucky if I buy one vintage card per month. I also have sold off some items, so I could justify buying others at today's inflated prices.

I feel fortunate to have bought most of my collection when the cards were much more affordable. If I hadn't gotten interested in the Pacific Coast League, I'm sure that my collecting would have stopped completely.

I feel your pain.

A lot of the blame for inflating the prices should go to the damn grading companies.

Patrick