NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Mike Reid

Default Is CC Sabathia a Hall of Famer?

Just saw he won his 250th game today. Never really thought of him as a HOFer but I might be rethinking my stance. Only 14 pitchers with 250 wins and 3000 strikeouts. Of the 14, the only one not in the hall is Clemens. Your thoughts. Leon: if this is in the wrong area please move it. Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 PM
pete ullman

I was thinking the same thing today...it seems a pitcher winning 300 games in this era will be extremely rare if seen at all? I think 250 is the new 300!!!! Especially if you've won WS's and have a lot of strikeouts. His style has evolved similarly to pettittes from more of a power game to offspeed painting the corners. I think they both deserve to go in!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Greg C

7 seasons over .700 winning percentage. He was dominant.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM
qualitycards

Yes! Outside of CC & Carlton, how many other lefties have 250 wins & 3000K's?
Not Spahn, Not Grove.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 PM
John Wondowski

I like his chances and I like him. The Hall of Fame has always been somewhat of a popularity contest past the over-qualified players. My perception is that nice guys who are borderline get in - Tony Perez, any friend of Bill Terry, Baines, Youngs, etc. granted, these are all stars that anyone would be ecstatic to have on their team. Perhaps a notch below, while the Dick Allens, roid monsters, Belles of the baseball world remain on the outside. I'm not judging, just saying how it looks. There are outliers to every generalization.

Id love for Sabathia to get into the Hall - he's more than deserving imo. Plus he's one of the few successful players fatter than me (almost).
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Definitely. He has both the strong career numbers and a solid stretch where he was one of the top pitchers in the game.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Close but no cigar. Who cares about strikeouts? An out is an out. Career 3.71 ERA, 1.26 WHIP--Good, not great.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I was thinking the same thing today...it seems a pitcher winning 300 games in this era will be extremely rare if seen at all? I think 250 is the new 300!!!! Especially if you've won WS's and have a lot of strikeouts. His style has evolved similarly to pettittes from more of a power game to offspeed painting the corners. I think they both deserve to go in!
I agree with this. Verlander ... cc and MaYBE kershaw to 250. Although Kershaw will get in anyway, he only has 160 wins which shows how tough it is with all of the relief these days.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Close but no cigar. Who cares about strikeouts? An out is an out. Career 3.71 ERA, 1.26 WHIP--Good, not great.
No, an out that is not a K can advance runners.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Yes! Outside of CC & Carlton, how many other lefties have 250 wins & 3000K's?
Not Spahn, Not Grove.

Just one.....Randy Johnson.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A strikeout can advance runners, although rarely. On the flip side a ball in play is much more likely to become a double play than a strikeout. I believe extensive analysis has been done on this by SABR and James and the conclusion is an out is an out.

Little League is a different story...........................
Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

he’s the real deal
Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Better than Jack Morris, especially when you compare each to their contemporaries.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Not sure but IMO Kershaw is far from a HOF and will likely barely make it to 200 wins, much less 250. Too many miles on that elbow.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

IMO Sabathia is likely in and Kershaw is a lock -- 3 Cy Young awards and top 5 in 7 consecutive years + an MVP

Sabathia, CC 1999 Topps33T PSA 10 05324421.jpg

Last edited by scotgreb; 06-19-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:15 PM
D0NN1E B

Maybe? If so then Schilling, Tiant, and Kevin Brown go in also?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Great--ERA covers that
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Schilling would be in if he wasn't so detestable.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogcollector View Post
Not sure but IMO Kershaw is far from a HOF and will likely barely make it to 200 wins, much less 250. Too many miles on that elbow.
You're not going to have a lot of company on that one and Kershaw has back problems not elbow problems.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
While I'm no fan of Shilling the person I have no problem with any of those three making the hall.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

The only players with 3000 K that are not in the hof are CC, Clemens and Schilling. I think all 3 will be elected.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogcollector View Post

3 Cy Young awards, an MVP award, 7x All-Star, career winning percentage is essentially .700, career ERA of 2.41, a career WAR of 65+ in 12 years. Even if he has a career ending injury tomorrow those numbers dictate he is in... right now!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
3 Cy Young awards, an MVP award, 7x All-Star, career winning percentage is essentially .700, career ERA of 2.41, a career WAR of 65+ in 12 years. Even if he has a career ending injury tomorrow those numbers dictate he is in... right now!
Lock. No question. It's just a damn shame his post-season performance has been such a relative disappointment. Otherwise, a generational pitcher, and by all indications a fine individual as well.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Pete Sycks

100% lock. Top 5 pitcher for a decade, Cy Young. On a side note I'm pretty sure his pants could be used as a parachute if the team plane went down.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 AM

Default The easy way out!

The easy thing to do would be to have automatic HOF qualifications like they do in Japan. 250W 3000Ks and 500 saves jump off of the page, but the cheaters have ruined that.

But CC is a lock for the HOF and with 3 or 4 more good seasons Kershaw is a first ballot HOF
Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

CC is borderline, he'll get in, not first ballot though.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM

Yes, he's a HOFer. Dominant. And as mentioned above, 250 is the new 300...just as 600 is the new 500 in the HR category. (See what I did there?)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-20-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Yes, he's a HOFer. Dominant. And as mentioned above, 250 is the new 300...just as 600 is the new 500 in the HR category. (See what I did there?)
If Bartolo had won 3 more would he get in, with his 4.12 lifetime ERA? I doubt it. I think it's still an overall assessment, but I agree CC should make it.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Eventually gets in

C.C. Will get in the Hall Of Fame someday. Not positive if i would or would not vote for him. I certainly wouldn't protest him making it to the Hall thats for sure.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 AM

I think he'll get the Mussina treatment and have to wait a few years but will get in. Don't really think of him as a HOFer though. He hasn't really been a good pitcher since 2012, which was 7 years ago. His 3,000 K's (while still impressive) feel like a Biggio compiler stat to me.

Last edited by packs; 06-20-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hall of Stats has him at 115, 57th ranked pitcher, which is lower tier but definitely in. That seems accurate to me.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM

Default Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
+1 - Add in 9.7 Ks per 9 innings; an even “1” WHIP; a 4.27 K/BB ratio and 11 consecutive seasons of a sub-3.00 ERA (of which 3 of those were sub-2.00)! His regular season numbers are uncanny and possibly merit him a top 10 pitcher status.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hall of Stats rates Kershaw as 28th all time which again seems about right to me. Interestingly, he rates MUCH higher than Koufax to whom he is often compared.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
If Bartolo had won 3 more would he get in, with his 4.12 lifetime ERA? I doubt it. I think it's still an overall assessment, but I agree CC should make it.
I totally agree it's an overall assessment. And as such, CC should get in.

My 250 comment (which others above said the same), is pointing out one (huge) aspect of his game...not the only one for review.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-20-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM

C.C. was dominant for years, his numbers are good and in my opinion with the watering down of the Hall of Fame, he gets in.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's now the Hall of Very Good and Not Necessarily Amazing. And he belongs there under that umbrella with other Bronx Bombers of similar stature.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-20-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I totally agree it's an overall assessment. And as such, CC should get in.

My 250 comment (which others above said the same), is pointing out one (huge) aspect of his game...not the only one for review.
You do have to wonder if we'll ever see another 300 game winner. I don't see anyone active now with a realistic chance. Verlander has 213 and is still phenomenal, but he's 36 so I wouldn't think his chances are great.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Hall of Stats rates Kershaw as 28th all time which again seems about right to me. Interestingly, he rates MUCH higher than Koufax to whom he is often compared.
Kershaw compares to his contemporaries much better than Koufax does to his.

Koufax was dominant and put up great numbers in an era when pitchers put up much better numbers than they do today.

Kershaw put up similar numbers to Koufax in an era where pitchers put up far inferior numbers.

And I'm a MASSIVE Koufax fan.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
It's now the Hall of Very Good and Not Necessarily Amazing. And he belongs there under that umbrella with other Bronx Bombers of similar stature.
Its been the Hall of Very Good since 1946.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Its been the Hall of Very Good since 1946.
When was that first group of marginal 30s players selected? That really set the tone.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Mike

Has CC played for the Yankees ? He has, therefore he will be in the Hall of Fame.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
When was that first group of marginal 30s players selected? That really set the tone.
Chesbro, McCarthy, Tinker, Evers and Chance were all inducted in 1946. Maranville in 1954, Schalk in 1955. Flick in 1963, Combs and Haines in 1970.
Bancroft, Hafey, Hooper and Marquard in 1971. Need I go on?

You can make an argument for every one of them. But by and large, they are generally regarded as some of the weaker members. This is not some recent phenomenon. It has been going on for 70+ years.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Chesbro, McCarthy, Tinker, Evers and Chance were all inducted in 1946. Maranville in 1954, Schalk in 1955. Flick in 1963, Combs and Haines in 1970.

You can make an argument for every one of them. But by and large, they are generally regarded as some of the weaker members. This is not some recent phenomenon. It has been going on for 70+ years.

Think you're being a little hard on McCarthy. 7 titles and 9 pennants is pretty good.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Think you're being a little hard on McCarthy. 7 titles and 9 pennants is pretty good.
Tommy McCarthy, not Joe.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Lloyd Waner and Travis Jackson have to make that list. Ross Youngs.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Has CC played for the Yankees ? He has, therefore he will be in the Hall of Fame.
What do people think of Pettitte's chances?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You are correct. There are productive outs and unproductive outs. Anyone who can induce a strikeout like Sabathia is dominant. I never liked him as he always killed by Orioles (but then again, who hasn't) but he is a HOFer for sure.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think he'll get the Mussina treatment and have to wait a few years but will get in. Don't really think of him as a HOFer though. He hasn't really been a good pitcher since 2012, which was 7 years ago. His 3,000 K's (while still impressive) feel like a Biggio compiler stat to me.

You say "compiler," I say "consistent."
Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
You say "compiler," I say "consistent."
Consistency means repeated results. Take a look at CC's career since 2013. Let me know if you think that's a HOF span. Without it he doesn't get to 250 wins or 3,000 K's. I call that compiling.

Last edited by packs; 06-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Surprised Jorge Posada wasn't enshrined. Chris Chambliss and Bernie Williams too.