NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-27-2019, 07:12 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default Toploaders turning yellow

I am pretty much a set builder/binder guy, but I do collect Reggie Jackson cards. Most of his 70’s cards I own are graded, but I still need some of the 80’s Tiffany’s, stickers, etc. and I just can’t see paying for graded cards that I can buy for a dollar or so. As a result, I am looking at putting these cards in toploaders. I have noticed some of my old toploaders are yellowed (I think most of these were with cards I have purchased through the years). Is this a problem with more recent toploaders or am I safe to assume these were cheap toploaders (not BCW or Ultra Pro).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 05-28-2019, 06:16 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I am pretty much a set builder/binder guy, but I do collect Reggie Jackson cards. Most of his 70’s cards I own are graded, but I still need some of the 80’s Tiffany’s, stickers, etc. and I just can’t see paying for graded cards that I can buy for a dollar or so. As a result, I am looking at putting these cards in toploaders. I have noticed some of my old toploaders are yellowed (I think most of these were with cards I have purchased through the years). Is this a problem with more recent toploaders or am I safe to assume these were cheap toploaders (not BCW or Ultra Pro).

Ed, I haven't had that problem with any of the newer Ultra Pro top loaders I have purchased. I have seen yellowing occasionally with some older ones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's hard to say. I have some that are yellowed, and some that are just as old that aren't. The new ones are probably better, but it may take a few years to find out.

I usually use a penny sleeve as well as the toploader. It helps avoid problems. And unless the collection gets really large replacing toploaders after a few years isn't all that expensive.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post

You sound just like me, just sub in Brooks Robinson for Reggie Jackson. And I also have come across some of the old yellow ones in my single card boxes. I find them to be sort of brittle as well when they get that yellow tint to them. With toploaders so cheap I just replace them as I come across them. And when I get cards sent to me I usually save the toploaders but the yellowed one go into the recycling box under my desk.

I bet many of us remember the uproar over the PVC-laden pages. I still come across them in some of my binders. They ruined some of my Dexter Press Orioles photos.

Last edited by commishbob; 05-28-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: I suck at punctuation
Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

All my top loaders from 30 years ago are yellow. None that I bought in the last 5 years are. (And I didn't buy any in the 25 intervening years.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-01-2019, 02:36 PM

I have some as well and replace them .
I don't throw the yellowed ones out though.
Here's a picture of me circa 1954 taken with
an old Kodak (I guess) showing my support for the
2nd amendment .

and here's the same photo inside one of the questionable
top loaders ....

Just a thought ,
Ken
Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The big question, which hasn't been addressed here, is: does the yellowing pose a risk to the cards?
Old 06-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Albert Bee

Default yellow

way back in the early days of sheets..used to be that big thing with PVA or PVC.. in the plastic ??
Old 06-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've purchased cards in piss-yellow top loaders that have been perfectly fine. Only damage I've ever seen from a yellowed holder is when it stuck to a card with UV coating.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-02-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Pretty much the same here. No damage that I've seen.

The worst combination for me was mylar sleeves in toploaders. The card simply would not come out. I had to cut the holder out from around it. No damage, but not something I'd enjoy repeating.