NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It was 1990 and i was 17. I went to the local baseball card shop and saw a nice pile of 1989 upperdeck ken griffey jr rookies. They were $15 each and i had $50 so i bought 3. The store owner took the whole pile out, which was about 40 of then each in a ridged card holder and sleeve. I picked out the best centered ones. After i got outside with them, i noticed all 3 cards had the same crease in them. I went back in the store and wanted a refund and was told i must have creased them myself or switched the cards with ones i already had. I asked to see the pile of cards in the case again and was told no. A few years later, i was able to sell the three cards with the creases for $25 each since mint cards were going for over a hundred. I never went back to that store and they eventually closed down a few years later.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
J.O.N

When I was away at college some of my "old friends" broke into my house and stole a few thousand of my cards.

'59 Clemente
'53 Reese
'75 Brett
'79 O. Smith
Couple Hank Aarons
Any thing I had old really.

Several other HOFers I had collected over the years. There was a ton of evidence and I know who they were. And one of the guys admitted it to me and gave me his cut back and apologized. It was a sad event in many ways for me. But you live and learn and hold no grudges and forgive with the same grace I am afforded.

I have since picked up another '59 Clemente and would like to get some of these again.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.

Last edited by Jcfowler6; 06-19-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM
pete ullman

As a young child I was sold a fake mayo...I wasn't knowledgable back then to know if the back wasn't black...it was fake!

I bought a fake fro joy babe ruth sheet from a local store while in college in the late eighties...again...a result of my naivete!

As an adult at the 95' national I bought a 71 thurmon munson from a bargain box that turned out to have the edges colored with a black marker.

As recently as 7 yrs ago I bought a t3 off ebay that turned out to be a color xerox...as it was only a few bucks I never complained.

There have been too many instances of dealers "trying" to screw me over the years I won't even mention those.

I still have all of these fakes to this day.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Pup6913

Just before I found this site I had $9000 in vintage stolen from me by a guy named Ryan Randals(has a "vengeance is mine" tattoo on his neck) from Des Moines IA. A very nice SGC 7 71 Ryan, a bunch of goudeys and diamond star Hof'ers, 6 Maris and mantle cut autos, a ton of 50's Hof'ers with Aaron's rc, around 30 mantles, a bunch of pack fresh 57's & 56's, and a ton of shinny stuff autos and relics. I was selling to get money for some tobacco cards and other older stuff but never got any of it. Had to start from new again.

Glad his family was married into the legal system because they refused to press charges or arrest him
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
As an adult at the 95' national I bought a 71 thurmon munson from a bargain box that turned out to have the edges colored with a black marker.
I still have all of these fakes to this day.
I beg to differ. You can't still have that Munson. It was sold to me a few years later by anothter shady dealer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Dave

Late 80's when I was still in high school I helped run a card shop that was opened up near my school. It was robbed and a lot of my own stuff was stolen from the shop, including a 53 Mantle.

Amazingly the kid who robbed the shop showed up back in the shop when the owner was there and was caught and most of the cards were recovered.

I guess I had the best revenge when I stole the kid's girlfriend from him shortly after.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I guess I had the best revenge when I stole the kid's girlfriend from him shortly after.
Lol
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Dave

Used to set up at shows as a teenager. I was partners with one of my friends for a little while and we set up at the Waterbury, CT Ramada Inn.

Great crowd and we had a great show. At the end of the show, without me knowing, my buddy took all of our funds and spent them on 1984 Topps Rack Pack Boxes from a dealer I did not trust. I almost brained my friend right there. This was when the Strawberry and Mattingly cards were huge.

We went back home and opened all the boxes. Not a single Strawberry or Mattingly in the bunch. They had all been searched already.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Jason C.

My story starts out very similar to Rawn's. In high school (ca. 1989), there was a kid sitting next to me moaning about needing beer money for the weekend. I could see the lightbulb flip on when he asked me, "Hey, you still collect baseball cards?" He said his deadbeat dad had left a shoebox with cards he collected when he was a kid. I asked him how many were in there and he said it was probably 400 or so. I offered $40 blind for them. He eagerly accepted--probably the most his dad had ever provided for him! Picked them up that night but didn't open the box until I got home.

Most of the cards were from 1960 and 61 and there were plenty of stars. I even felt guilty and gave him back a few dupes like Koufax and Aaron. I still had plenty left anyway.

That wasn't enough as far as karma was concerned, though. I had a flat tire the next morning. And that weekend, while my new friend was apparently hammered, I traded a nine-pocket sheet of stars to the local card dealer for the one card I truly coveted: the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

As a 13-year-old kid, I was hot after the "key" Donruss rookies in 1988 (Greg Jefferies) and 1989 (Griffey Jr.). I was pretty successful at convincing my mother to buy dozens and dozens of the Donruss blister rack packs available from both years at the local Shelby's in suburban NJ where I grew up. She bought me enough rack packs from both years to stuff two binders full of cards, with cards jammed into both sides of the vinyl pages. I had maybe 1,000 cards from each year.

I did not pull a single Jefferies or Griffey Jr RC.

It took me many years later to understand why: Some sleazy but clever adult had gotten to the packs way before me, and figured out how to pack search for hot cards inside on the basis of which players were on top.

My first introduction to the sleazy nature of the card business. Still happening today at Targets and Walmarts around the country.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
It took me many years later to understand why: Some sleazy but clever adult had gotten to the packs way before me, and figured out how to pack search for hot cards inside on the basis of which players were on top.
Can you elaborate on this method of searching inside packs?

Last edited by SetBuilder; 06-20-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Can you elaborate on this method of searching inside packs?
Cards were packaged in sequences. If you know the sequence and can identify the top card, you'll know the cards underneath (within the pack) without having to open it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
It was 1990 and i was 17. I went to the local baseball card shop and saw a nice pile of 1989 upperdeck ken griffey jr rookies. They were $15 each and i had $50 so i bought 3. The store owner took the whole pile out, which was about 40 of then each in a ridged card holder and sleeve. I picked out the best centered ones. After i got outside with them, i noticed all 3 cards had the same crease in them. I went back in the store and wanted a refund and was told i must have creased them myself or switched the cards with ones i already had. I asked to see the pile of cards in the case again and was told no. A few years later, i was able to sell the three cards with the creases for $25 each since mint cards were going for over a hundred. I never went back to that store and they eventually closed down a few years later.

card shop i used to go to would describe his cards as mint, but they would have a hidden or hard to see crease in the card, he would sell it to us, then later we would find the defect, and we knew that he knew it was there.

i learned to never trust someone when they describe the card under a holder, i either have to take it out and inspect it personally or i cant buy it.

one of the guys did pressure him to take a card back and he berated the guy and told him that a sale is a sale but he would take it back this one time but that the buyer should learn his lesson because the dealer didnt know if the buyer put that crease in there himself (even though he knew darn well it was there beforehand, he knew exactly what he was selling).

So i bought a leaf frank thomas RC back then for 50 bucks or whatever it was, and the crease made it worth a lot less. And I thought less of the guy from then on knowing that he knew that crease was in there but sold it to me for nm price anyway.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM
J@RR0D

In the early 90's, I had gotten out of collecting. A few other kids still did and one day when we were talking, I mentioned having an '89 UD Griffey rookie that I pulled from a pack (back when this card was HOT!!!). One friend said he'd trade me an Ozzie Smith rookie for it so I said "sure!" I dug up the card at home and made the trade the next day... then I found out that an '80 Topps was NOT Ozzie's rookie card.