NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Elliot

I've changed the settings on the chat room. Going forward to get access to the chat room, you will need to be logged in.

Elliot

Old 01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 01-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: runscott

Hopefully you can join us in there sometime (not that I've been present often).

We used to have some really great discussions

Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Julie

Old 01-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Elliot

I was there last night. We actually had a very pleasant conversation with no unwelcome guests. Still, it is quite clear that there has been a lot of unwelcome guests in the chat room.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

looking for the IP number that Patrick gave us when "T205 Ty Cobb" left....MUCH!!! Back reading of the Forum is very interesting, and I didn't find the IP number..till a few minutes ago...

Old 01-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

To set the record straight, Paul was the person who identified the IP address of the impolite poster.

Old 01-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Old 01-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I think that the contuct of this person warrants the name being listed here if it is known.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Yes, Julie, I was logged in to the chatroom last night as "runscott", but I was for the most part on "another part" of my computer all night, scanning t206's. I checked the chatroom occasionally, but seeing guests, I simply ignored it until all the guests had left.

But on to the "identification of the culprit" post. There is a huge danger with making the determination that if you see the same i.p. address multiple times that it is the same person in all instances. I did not realize this until MW pointed it out many, many moons ago, but I have since seen evidence that not only is it true - it is not at all uncommon.

So when someone begins participating on this board in a way that we don't approve of...tough sh*t - we can't do anything about it other than to ask Elliot to require signing in. And he has listened to us and done just that for the chat room.

Fortunately, most jerk-offs who are just out to get a rise out of people, will bounce around from chat room to chat room, getting their rocks off by making the legitimate participants cry and whine, and won't bother posting in a discussion thread forum like this, because they don't get the immediate feedback they need, and can't afford by calling 900 numbers all night.

So I really believe that what Elliot has done will protect the integrity of the chat room, while at the same time allowing newbies to learn from more experienced people in the hobby, which is a good thing.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Ben

Here's the story- I signed in last night as a guest "t205cobb", only wishing to poke my head in, as there was somebody in particular I needed to talk to. This person wasn't there, but just as I was about to leave, I noticed that someone began posting messages under my ID. This wasn't the first time I've seen this happen. So I immediately signed off. This is why the "bad chatter's" IP matches mine.

I hope you guys know that I would never post such idiotic and profanity laden ramblings, and this was simply another case of an ID hijacking. Anyways, thanks Elliot for making the change...looks like problem solved.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: ramram

in the chat room a couple of days ago and had someone jump in under the same guest ID I was using. I was suprised to see they could do that.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Hi-jacking was not prevelant until recently - one of our own board members checks the chatroom occasionally for guests, then hi-jacks any guest id's and takes a few shots at Elliot. This is all being done to prove a point and to bitch about the board. While I agree that having guests is a problem, I totally disagree with someone deceptively and underhandedly using this method to get their way.

This person knows who he is and I'm a bit surprised he's been doing this.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Being a pain in the butt on the internet is way too easy. Trying to get inside the heads of these forum-busting jerks, I tried to think of a topic that chaps my ass, then did a Google search on "Atkins Diet" and "forum". I found the following non-userid-protected forum, and quickly inserted my worthless opinion. It was easy...too easy. I may have become a monster

http://www.news-at-ten.tv/forum/forumthread.php?fid=3&parent=330&parentsub=The%20Atkin's%20Diet&superparent=5&superparentsub=Serious%20Discussion

Old 01-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

...but not very much.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

..and why bother? Who cares about people's diets, except yr own! Post on some Forumn about Lincoln, or the New Hampshire Primary, or the (supposedly over )war in Iraq.

Or just stick around and post about vintage baseball stuff.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

though ramram and Scott were also misused.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: Hankron

A fair while ago (3 monthes?) I went in to the chat room as a 'guest' and my i.d. was used simultaniously by someone else. The prime effect was that I lost interest in going to the chatroon.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

As I said elsewhere, it's unlikely that the nasty talker in the chat room is "one of our own," because he doesn't seem to have any interest in talking about vintage baseball or its memorabilia, only in calling us names.
But obviously, tracing the IP number is a fruitless idea, since IP numbers can be hijacked as easily as
names.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: MW

Runscott,

I'm curious. Who's the imposter?

Old 01-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

If it's a board member, should he be doing that? And how will Elliot's asking that everyone log in before posting help (you log on as yourself, and then hijack someone else's name...)

Old 01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Posted By: craig

i come to this board everyday, usually more than once, and i have to say that what i learn from all of you is priceless. i dont post much, i'd rather just take in all the knowledge most of you have to share. i have been curious about entering the chat room to enter into some Q & A's with a few of you. however with all of the negatives i have been hearing i've been skeptical of entering. so is it safe for me to come into the chat now? an if so what time is a good time to be there for some good vintage baseball chat?

Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

(you don't have to post there, either!) and see if vintage baseball talk is really going on again.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

Craig, when it was working, the 'chat sessions' were about 40 percent card talk and 60 percent chat. Probably more gossip than here, as things were off the record ... So no one should be intimidated into avoided it (if it's working now, which may or may not be the case) ... To be honest, this person going onto the chatroom to swear and such so as to get others excited amuses me more than than anything else. It is ridiculous when adults acts like seven year olds. Which explains why I find most politics so amusing.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room

I should add that I am not exactly the most mature person in many ways. About each year when my mom gives me my birthday present, she says "How about this year you start acting your age?" And I say,"For a pair of whool socks and a coffe mug? Not bloody likely."

But I have yet to go anonymously on chatboards and say "poopy" and "boger" so as to titulate Julie and Scott and Elliot. In fact, the thought had never even crossed my mind.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Default Chat Room