NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Romeo and Julieta Cuban Card Real or Not Part 2

As I am sure that you all remember there was a long thread about these cards about a month ago. I just picked up this amateur Romeo and Julieta. Very small investment so no real risk. With the card in hand I can say I am just not sure. It has a very high real photo gloss a lot like a fatima team card. Corners are very sharp and that actaully worries me. At the same time it would be a lot of work to fake a card of an unknown amatuer player (unless you did so to set up big ticket pro stars as real and then charge a lot for them) Just wanted to post some scans and see if there were any more thoughts on these cards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg romeo.jpg (53.3 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg romeo1.jpg (69.8 KB, 484 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 PM

Never seen this set but it looks nice
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

At first blush it sort of looks homemade and the photo looks 2nd generation or worse? I understand it was a small risk relatively speaking but those are my initial thoughts from first glance. Hopefully others will know more and chime in...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Bilingual cards from the era are kind of a red flag.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 07-22-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 AM

Well no idea of authenticity but some research shows that there was a Liga Social and there was a Dependientes team. However, the Dependientes team was considered one of the lowest ranked amateur teams and was made up of members from the clerk's society, likely shop keepers.

The photo looks like a copy of a copy like Leon pointed out. Really hard to tell.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Ryan Christoff

I will post extensively on these at some point after the National.

-Ryan
Old 12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Ricardo

Default 3 Amatuers

I have three Amateurs I have examined them and they look just like other Cuban issues from that time under the magnifying glass.
thanks
Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Ryan Christoff

I've examined these thoroughly. I've compared examples of the amateurs with those of Almendares players and compared all of those to examples of Romeo y Julieta boxers. I looked at them with a 30x loupe and under a black light. I made high resolution scans. I measured each edge of each card. What I'm saying is that I spent some time examining these. I was really hoping I'd be able to form some sort of definitive opinion regarding authenticity, but I had no such luck. The end result is that I am about exactly 50/50 on whether or not these are real. There are numerous red flags, but none that make me say they are definitely fake. But there are enough that give me serious doubt about them being real. But they could be. The one thing I can say is that it is much more likely that the amateur cards are real than the Almendares ones. The one thing I'm fairly confident about is that we're not going to get any better answer about whether or not these are legit. If anyone feels comfortable with them, they might want to go ahead and pick them up. Personally, I would not want them in my collection.

I'm intentionally avoiding going into great detail about some of the red flags since I'm not looking to write a manual on how to help scumbag forgers get better at making fake cards.

So, to sum up: The might be real, and they might not.

-Ryan
Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Ricardo

Default Thank you

Thanks for you response.