NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Walter Johnson Notebook Cover

I don't suppose anyone recognizes this Walter Johnson Notebook Cover? I'm trying to establish an approximate date for it but am not having any luck finding others online. The back is blank. It is the cover only - no notebook pages.

Photobucket
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM

The style of shoes and socks would suggest it's very early in his career. Perhaps early teens.

Just a quick guess.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
S Gross

SABR uniform data would suggest 1907-1909:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...r&increment=18
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Sean Costello

I believe the uniform dates to 1907 through 1909, according to the Okkonen uniform guide.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Bruce C@rter

Probably 1909 only because of the stripe on the pants. 1907-08 has no stripe. Also dark belt and white socks.

Last edited by Texxxx; 01-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Phil Garry

My best guess on the notebook cover itself would be c1910.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Hank Thomas

I'd guess somewhere 1910-1912. 1910 because I wouldn't think his record would have made him notebook cover-worthy before then, and 1912 because around that time he began to be photographed so much it's unlikely a much earlier photo, from 1909, would be used. If I had to pin my guess to a year I would agree with Phil and say 1910. Any clue as to the date of issue from the ball, I wonder? Funny they have him (if that really is his hand) demonstrating pitches he almost surely never threw in a game. How cool to be seeing unknown items still popping up at this relatively late stage of the hobby. That's at least three great Johnson pieces this year alone: this one, the Cash Clothing Store card, and the 1909 Washington team composite broadside I got in trade from Clint in Kansas. Just amazing what's out there, and very exciting!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
David Linardy

Default Walter Johnson Uni

Got this one in the Book "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" by Marc Okkonen..

The senators uniforms were similar in 07 and 08 but differed as they had a white collar and the socks were blue with a white upper stripe... in 09 it looks like the uni's changed slightly (Blue Collar, stripe down side of pants, and a solid white colored sock)...

According to this book I would have to say that you picture dates to 1909... Awesome piece!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sens.jpg (46.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Default nscc

Thanks everyone! I just started adding Walter to my collecting list (with Gehrig and Ruth) this year. I figured I should have a pitcher in there, too, besides Ruth since I have nothing from Ruth's pitching days.Y'all do not want to know what I paid for this. It was hidden in a junk box at the NSCC and I'm pretty sure I got it forunder $25! I also got an early Type I photo of Johnson in the same box for about the same price. I'll post that tomorrow if I get a chance. It is one of the nice versions mounted on stiff cardboard like an Old Judge card, and nicely editorially marked up, which I actually prefer on my photos.

Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Hank Thomas

That's what the National, and any other decent vintage show, is all about, isn't it? And good for you, GehrigFan, we don't mind hearing what you paid for it. I'm sure everyone here on the board can haul out lots of great stuff they got for a song. In fact, I have hundreds of Johnson Type I photos I didn't pay a dime for!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Got this one in the Book "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" by Marc Okkonen..

The senators uniforms were similar in 07 and 08 but differed as they had a white collar and the socks were blue with a white upper stripe... in 09 it looks like the uni's changed slightly (Blue Collar, stripe down side of pants, and a solid white colored sock)...

According to this book I would have to say that you picture dates to 1909... Awesome piece!
I would date the uni as 1909, also, but you have to be careful with the Okkonen book. As wonderful a reference as it is, there are lots of mistakes in there. And as I said before, the notebook cover is a bit later, in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Maybe this one belongs in the other category...

...but I thought I'd post my other Walter Johnson here since I bought it from the same guy - a Type I News Photo on ultra thick cardboard stock and well marked up editorially. I worked in the newpaper darkroom fieldfor many years as a teenager in the 80's and through college, so I understand the "1 Column" notation, but have no idea what "Can. Bull" means before Johnson. Any ideas?

There is a later (1940's probably as it mentions Allie Reynolds) copy of an article pasted on the back that I hate to remove to see if there is an earlier date on it, but with my experience with photos, I'm positive this is a Type 1 from Walt's playing days, albeit later than the c1910 date of the notebook.

But I'm not skilled at dating by uniform like many of you. I definitely need to pick up that reference book you all are referring to - perfect or not, the sample pages shown were incredibly fascinating.

So anyway, here's the other Walter piece I got for under $25 from the same seller:

Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Such wonderful items. Makes me want to work on my "drop spitter".
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Hank Thomas

The uniform in the Johnson photo is 1926. If I had to guess I'd say Type I, but it's hard to say because the resolution is not the sharpest. As for the notation, perhaps the "bull" is for "Bulletin," and maybe that's the name of the newspaper. The "can" might be an abbreviation of a town name.