NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default One of these days.....Old Judges graded differently

One of these days maybe a TPG will devise a way to accurately grade OJs and other photo type cards with an emphasis on their photo quality? I don't know this seller but this is such a great looking photo it's a shame it's not graded even higher...I know we have discussed it many times before but I still just shake my head when I see one of these types (what a beauty)...and it's not a bad grade but still...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1887-Old-Jud...item20e968b841

Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Aside from the funky cut that thing is pretty much flawless. Almost 130 years old. Amazing.

Tom C
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Jimmy

Default One of these days.....Old Judges graded differently

Photo is exceptional and clean!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Chris

So what grade does that card "deserve?"
Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Leon,
I completely agree with regarding the need for revisiting grading standards on Old Judges. That particular card looks accurately graded to me given centering, tilt cut, and probably nm corners (hard to tell from the scan). Beautiful card!
JimB
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Jeff Lowe

I agree that there should be a seperate marker for photo quality . Even if it isnt part of the full grade .
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It's priced appropriately even if it is somewhat undergraded
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Ke.n K0hen

We've had this discussion before. When it comes to N172s, the TPGs are merely paper graders, not card graders.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure it would matter for the card in Leon's original post but I would like to see TPGs offer a "front only" grading option for OJs since many collectors of that set don't seem to care too much about back damage. This would be similar to the current "autograph only" grading option for autographed cards. The TPGs could by definition make photo quality an important component of the OJ "front only" grade.

This could be a particularly nice way for SGC, which already seems to be the preferred TPG service for OJs, to differentiate their service from PSA.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Grading has it's limits, subjectivity and is inexact. One limit is it is a grader of physical condition, but not an arbiter of aesthetic appeal. I agree the graders often seem to sometime ignore whether the Old Judge images are developed detailed or undeveloped, which clearly is an essential aspect (and some would say part of the physical condition) of the cards. Old Judges are little photographs, and image quality, focus, development and overall aesthetics is an inherent aspect of photographs. Whether or not those things fall under the category of physical condition to be graded is a matter of opinion. Personally, I think how well developed is the image (too light, too dark, etc) is part of physical condition, but don't think focus or aesthetic quality is. Some artistic and sports images, including images of movement, are intentionally out of focus. If a photographic image has faded due to light exposure, I would certainly count that as a physical defect.

Last edited by drcy; 07-23-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Grading has it's limits and is inexact. One limit is it isn't an arbiter of aesthetic appeal. Also, a cookie cutter grading system will never fit every type of card.
+1 Completely agree with you.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Default T'P'Gs

and ojs(im also a closet oj fan)

photo quality should be a category and weighted heavier on ojs.....
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I can add that, when I'm describing photos, I describe the physical condition plus describe the image quality. Two parts to the description. I can describe a photo as "Near Mint grade but the image is out of focus" or "Physically grades Very Good due to edge damage and paper loss, but the image is mint crystal clear." For better or worse, that's how I do it. I don't see how giving an single average of the two grades (physical condition + aesthetic quality of image divided by two) would do anyone any good.

For cabinet cards, press photos and the like, I'll post pictures, describe the physical defects (corner wear, paper loss wrinkles, etc) and the quality of the image (focus, clarity, etc) and not give a number grade. The collector can weight the different aspects and calculate a personal number grade whichever he wants.

Last edited by drcy; 07-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I'm not sure it would matter for the card in Leon's original post but I would like to see TPGs offer a "front only" grading option for OJs since many collectors of that set don't seem to care too much about back damage. This would be similar to the current "autograph only" grading option for autographed cards. The TPGs could by definition make photo quality an important component of the OJ "front only" grade.

This could be a particularly nice way for SGC, which already seems to be the preferred TPG service for OJs, to differentiate their service from PSA.
Scot- I love this idea.

Jim B- I think it is graded correctly under the current system. That is sort of the problem.

Jay M. - I agree...priced close to where it should be given the superior photo quality.

Here is another that has a Nrmt+ type photo. Maybe some day one of the TPG companies will take the lead in this area and do something different?......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1887-Old-Jud...item2c87efa032

Last edited by Leon; 07-23-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Thanks Leon. Maybe one of you guys who has SGC's ear can suggest it.

I have a half-dozen or so OJs that I would submit for front-only grading.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-23-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Thanks Leon. Maybe one of you guys who has SGC's ear can suggest it.

I have a half-dozen or so OJs that I would submit for front-only grading.
I will be seeing and chatting with them at the National. Maybe I can persuade them (but don't hold your breath ) ....it really is a good suggestion.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I will be seeing and chatting with them at the National. Maybe I can persuade them (but don't hold your breath ) ....it really is a good suggestion.
I had this same discussion with them about five years ago, and they assured me they would be addressing the issue. Assuming they did address it, I guess they decided to leave things just the way they are. It's bad enough that a gem photo gets a low grade because of a little paper loss, I suppose one can just ignore the grade. But when a card with a nearly invisible photo gets a 6 or a 7 because it has sharp corners, that is simply inexcusable.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-24-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Barry Sloate

Here are Sloate's New Standards for Grading Old Judges. Hopefully, the TPG's will at least read this and consider.

Let's use the examples of a gem photo with a little paper loss, and a poor quality photo with sharp corners:

If we agree that a card with a superb front should grade at least a 7, but it does have some reverse paper loss, how about a deduction of 3 or 4 grading points to result in a net grade around 3 or 4. I believe most collectors would accept a net grade of VG or VG-EX as these are respectable grades that encompass all the characteristics of the card.

In the case of the light photo, perhaps the actual condition of the card is a 6 or 7, but it would get a deduction of 4 or 5 points for a net grade of 2. I think most collectors would accept a light photo card receiving a grade of Good.

I know this would mean that Old Judges would have their own individual grading standards, but it is time to accept the fact that OJ's are different than any other set. Because the photo quality and eye appeal can vary so drastically, it's imperative to take that into consideration. You cannot ignore the eye appeal of a card when grading it.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-24-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You cannot ignore the eye appeal of a card when grading it.
Barry I agree however it’s been done with grading since day one on all issues not just OJ's.

In terms of the eBay card I think it looks graded correctly have quite a few just like it. As for grading just fronts that seems like a slippery slope where does that line get drawn. If any gorgeous card with a spot of paper loss gets a 2 by most all TPG’s. I don’t see why a N172 should be treated differently just because it’s a photographic issue vs. a lithographic or printed issue.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Barry I agree however it’s been done with grading since day one on all issues not just OJ's.

In terms of the eBay card I think it looks graded correctly have quite a few just like it. As for grading just fronts that seems like a slippery slope where does that line get drawn. If any gorgeous card with a spot of paper loss gets a 2 by most all TPG’s. I don’t see why a N172 should be treated differently just because it’s a photographic issue vs. a lithographic or printed issue.
Hey John- hope you are well. Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. You can have slightly different standards for different cards, based on their characteristics. As a coin collector, I can tell you that copper coins are graded a bit differently than gold or silver, because copper tends to corrode easily when it comes into contact with moisture and pollutants in the air. That won't happen with the other two metals, because they are for the most part indestructible.

And it's clear that OJ's are different than most other cards, because the photographic quality can be degraded over time. There is a way to do it and make it work. But there may not be any incentive for the TPG's to change anything.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Barry I can see your point. I just think this can be said for a lot of issues. Examples some issues have notorious printing issues out of focus, washed out color etc. I just think if it goes to down with OJ's you have a lot of folks pointing to nuances of other issues and then it gets hard to keep track of the whole thing.

In the end I don't think the TPG grades hurt the nice OJs or other 19th photo issues. It always seems to be the really nice ones that bring good money regardless of the grade. As for someone buying a washed out PSA 8 N172 I see this as no more silly than a guy buying common graded 10 vs a few grades lower for huge money when to the naked eye one can't tell. Just the slab game....
Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Barry Sloate

I feel that if something is broken you try to fix it. Yes, there are other sets that have characteristics that make straight line grading a little more difficult. So let them put their collective heads together and try to come up with an improvement. Half grades aren't the answer. That's just a marketing ploy to increase resubmissions. Let them come up with an improvement that customers will embrace. Every company does it, so why can't TPG?

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Jeff Lowe

I hope we are evolving and hope the grading companies are as well .
Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Rob G.

Why do people pay a TPG money to tell them how nice their card looks? I understand you want to protect the card, so it gets a nice thick slab. I understand wanting a professional opinion to know your card is authentic and unaltered. I understand a technical grade because if you are buying/selling you know if the card has a hidden wrinkle or some other defect that would otherwise make the card look NM. But paying for an opinion on eye appeal? Ask 10 different people and you'll get at least 5 different answers. We complain TPGs can't get objective technical grades correct, and now we want subjective opinions?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Jeff Lowe

I agree with all of that about the TPGs except a card that is a photograph is a different animal and a paper card can not be judged the same as a photograph . imho

Last edited by Jeffrompa; 07-24-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: poor spelling<
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Why do people pay a TPG money to tell them how nice their card looks? I understand you want to protect the card, so it gets a nice thick slab. I understand wanting a professional opinion to know your card is authentic and unaltered. I understand a technical grade because if you are buying/selling you know if the card has a hidden wrinkle or some other defect that would otherwise make the card look NM. But paying for an opinion on eye appeal? Ask 10 different people and you'll get at least 5 different answers. We complain TPGs can't get objective technical grades correct, and now we want subjective opinions?
Huge +1 well said.