NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Default Ruth/Robinson Opinion

Noticed on a local website, Ruth has COA from PAAS and Robinson from Wayne & Mike Stivers (neither of which I have heard of)

Last edited by tazdmb; 01-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Shale Levine

The Robinson looks bad to me as most I have seen have a open at the top of the a on Jackie and the Ruth bothers me as well but could be real.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Wayne Walker

I sure don't like the Robinson at all. I'm not great with Ruth so I will not render an opinion.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

PAAS is Mike Frost and Steve Koshell. I am not sure I spelled the last name correctly but that is just me.

Last edited by shelly; 01-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Wayne Stivers is as good as it gets; however, much like Scoreboard certs, he didn't do holograms or anything, so it's not a stretch to imagine his cert put with another's item.

Ken
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Richard Simon

That Robinson is absolutely awful.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Thank you for the opinions on the Robinson, any opinions on the Ruth?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Thank you for the opinions on the Robinson, any opinions on the Ruth?
Give it to the dog to play with.

Not authentic. Looks like a Coach's Corner piece of dung.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 01-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned

opinions follow the certs, if it was abc or xyz, it would be hailed as a great auto.

its ridiculous how the cert is given first, THEN the decision is made as to if it is good or bad.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I was going to say give it a pass but that would have been a really bad joke.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
opinions follow the certs, if it was abc or xyz, it would be hailed as a great auto.

its ridiculous how the cert is given first, THEN the decision is made as to if it is good or bad.
We need people to omit the mention of certs here when asking for opinions, that's for sure.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post

Many of us here go out of way to answer questions about autographs, and many of us are happy to do it.

But Travis, in his inimitable style, goes out of his way to criticize those same collectors who give freely of their time to help fellow Net54 members.

Way to go, Travis.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned

if you put one hundred ruth balls of all types, 50 good and 50 bad, and people couldnt see the certs, they wouldnt get them all right but maybe they would get most of them.

but put all the good ones with cc certs, and all the bad ones with psa, jsa certs, and nary one would be "guessed" right, because giving out the cert information ahead of time taints and biases the opiner. people wont admit psa or jsa is wrong and someone else may be right. i am no expert at ruth so i dont know about this one or most, but thats the point, most others dont either, they take the easy way out of calling all psa and jsa good and all "dubious" certs bad.

i showed a garo certed item that was good once and people couldnt believe it. but show a bad psa or jsa and they get mad because how can psa or jsa ever be wrong?

that is exactly why jsa failed previously jsa item when it got a certain cert from someone they didnt like. same thing here. if it has a cert they dont like, its automatically bad. and automatically good if it comes from the gods of psa or jsa. how else could you account for the snow white balls that sell for 300,000 dollars that are slowly drawn and ridiculous but have a psa cert? put that same ball in a cc auction and watch these same guys call it a big, fat lemon.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned

if you put one hundred ruth balls of all types, 50 good and 50 bad, and people couldnt see the certs, they wouldnt get them all right but maybe they would get most of them.

but put all the good ones with cc certs, and all the bad ones with psa, jsa certs, and nary one would be "guessed" right, because giving out the cert information ahead of time taints and biases the opiner. people wont admit psa or jsa is wrong and someone else may be right. i am no expert at ruth so i dont know about this one or most, but thats the point, most others dont either, they take the easy way out of calling all psa and jsa good and all "dubious" certs bad.

i showed a garo certed item that was good once and people couldnt believe it. but show a bad psa or jsa and they get mad because how can psa or jsa ever be wrong?

that is exactly why jsa failed previously jsa item when it got a certain cert from someone they didnt like. same thing here. if it has a cert they dont like, its automatically bad. and automatically good if it comes from the gods of psa or jsa. how else could you account for the snow white balls that sell for 300,000 dollars that are slowly drawn and ridiculous but have a psa cert? put that same ball in a cc auction and watch these same guys call it a big, fat lemon.

in other words, everyone is an expert after they know where the cert is from, but not before. i never see an opinion from some regarding the old autographs before the cert is revealed or before there is a consensus among several other people first.

Last edited by travrosty; 01-21-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM

How can you never see an opinion before there's a "consensus," Travis? Someone has to go first.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Jim M.arinari

The only thing more unnecessary than another Travis rehash rant? His godawful habit of double posting.

Here's a suggestion. How about picking your favorite rant, using that as your signature, and start posting like a normal human being?

Disclosure: I own ZERO graded items.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
His godawful habit of double posting
Every post is like Groundhog Day.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Scott

That Ruth ball isn't a CC item. Theirs are usually snow white and can be read from 64 meters away

It does get tiring. as it seems every , or most threads, regarding opinions require Travis to bring up JSA or PSA. Someone here had a good idea. Show the item w NO mention of ANY cert from anyone, and see what folks say.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
That Ruth ball isn't a CC item. Theirs are usually snow white and can be read from 64 meters away

It does get tiring. as it seems every , or most threads, regarding opinions require Travis to bring up JSA or PSA. Someone here had a good idea. Show the item w NO mention of ANY cert from anyone, and see what folks say.
Travis will still bring up JSA and PSA, but we can still largely ignore him and it's still a good idea.