NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Default 1952 topps Printing flaws vs errors VS variations rehash fun for some, not for others

Just checking in with the 52 topps collectors, and beating the dead horse once again! I know their is a slight diffence of opinion on errors vs variations, so I wanted to post these two cards for thoughts. I'm working on a raw master set with all errors and variations, printing flaws not so much.

Hattan, spot on the hat is reoccuring, though not often. One to keep?

Chico, I cant seem to find this missing spot on the border on any other ones. One to keep?

FIRE AWAY

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Just checking in with the 52 topps collectors, and beating the dead horse once again! I know their is a slight diffence of opinion on errors vs variations, so I wanted to post these two cards for thoughts. I'm working on a raw master set with all errors and variations, printing flaws not so much.

Chico, I cant seem to find this missing spot on the border on any other ones. One to keep?

FIRE AWAY

IMO, I would call both the Chico and Hatten "print variants", as I would also call the House card. I would consider the two different Mantle cards "variations".

As to whether or not to keep, purely personal preference, I kept an extra 280 Boyer because of the stray red line and a yellowish logo House card.....but I did not go out of my way to acquire either, they were simply part of a lot I had purchased. Keep them both.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Al Richter

Default Variants

I tend to think of variations as intentional changes in cards, or changes resulting from decisions or changes made in the printing process ( including DPs ). I think of recurring print defects ( it is sometimes impossible to determine if these were discovered and corrected) as variants.

For Topps I have collected any "variation " listed in SCD, Beckett or The Registry. Many of those are in my view recurring print defects ( Bakep and Herrer for example). I also collect variants or recurring print defects for my sets.

Some I find on my own, some I see posted here or in other venues. When I see one I do not have I look for it on eBay, or Deans or COMC if it involves a back. if it does not show up there over some period of time I drop it as not recurring or recurring enough.

I would keep both. Hatton because it is apparently recurring though scarce, and Cico because that type of defect tends to be recurring, even if rare ( like the Campos black star, partial star, missing front border)

On the House I have heard it argued it is a variation because different versions of it appear on different backs. Not sure myself

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-14-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

FIRE AWAY
I looked at a lot of Chico's in my quest to obtain one, Ted, but I don't ever recall seeing one like that.
Imo, if I could only keep one, I'd definitely keep the Chico card.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Ben North

I see them both as common print errors. On certain cards I have paid insane premiums for a little random print spot/defect. On 99.99% of cards I would pass on a card with those type of print defects. Collect what you like and never think about resale value and you will be much happier.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picked up a Page with Sain bio. That’s a variation. The fisheye pieces are just print flaws. No extra value IMO. Hell it is hard fo find a 1961 MVP or a 1975 without a fisheye.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM

I agree with Adam on the fish eyes. The Hatton is not included in my master set list.

Cheers,
Patrick