NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Bry@n

Default How Were 93 Upper Deck SP Issued?

1993 is near the tail end of when I bought modern cards, but I don't recall the SP Jeter from when I was younger. Were the 93 SPs put in the regular packs? Does anyone have a checklist?

Thanks

Last edited by Jobu; 05-18-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Yeah SP had there own packs. The foil cards were st the end of the set and were rookies and young stars.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Al Wright

I bought the set pretty aggressively at the time. The foils were in with the regular cards, although I can't state that they were collated with the same frequency - don't know about that. Can say that, in my experience at least, if you get a Chipper Jones or Johnny Damon graded they come back with much better grades the Jeters that were treated/handled exactly the same way. I also don't know if that's because there is something peculiar about the Jeter that makes it susceptible to problems, or if (as I suspect) they just go over them with a finer tooth comb so to speak. I can remember doing card shows back then and having plastic boxes with the complete foil subset for $20. Never even got a sniff.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Bry@n

Thanks. After seeing the Jeter thread I can tell you that I wish I had picked up a few boxes and left them on the shelf before taking my collecting hiatus!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Will the ~100k SP 1993 Jeter push the 1993 Upper Deck SP box considerably higher? Is the Jeter SP card a better investment than an SP box?
Old 05-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintonlyplz View Post
Will the ~100k SP 1993 Jeter push the 1993 Upper Deck SP box considerably higher? Is the Jeter SP card a better investment than an SP box?
I would think no, because it's virtually impossible to pull a card that will 10, and I don't think the crazy 10 prices will pull up the lower grades, they seem their own phenomenon. But my man David would know better than I would.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

I opened one a couple of years ago. Bought it for around 500 bucks. I pulled 1 Jeter and it graded a 7. Looking at the current prices I should have left it unopened.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I opened one a couple of years ago. Bought it for around 500 bucks. I pulled 1 Jeter and it graded a 7. Looking at the current prices I should have left it unopened.
I don't have a lot of experience busting wax, but my guess is that leaving it unopened is usually the better move.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't have a lot of experience busting wax, but my guess is that leaving it unopened is usually the better move.
True, but I bought it for fun, and to try to pull a 9 or 10 Jeter. I opened it the day the package arrived.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
True, but I bought it for fun, and to try to pull a 9 or 10 Jeter. I opened it the day the package arrived.
I would have done the same, no question. Except I would have pulled Damon not Jeter.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM

I see you got your answer, Bryan, but if you're curious to see the results from a box being opened pack by pack, check out this current thread over at CU. It looks like the foil cards are inserted about 1 every 2 or 3 packs, based on the scans.