NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2023, 08:07 PM
Fred

Default Putting together vintage sets

Have many collectors on this board stop trying to complete sets in the past few years because the cost of doing so got so ridiculous due to the rapid rise in card prices (especially certain HOFers)?

For example, if you started to put together a 33 Goudey set 20 years ago but figured on picking up the Ruths a little later (rather than 10-15 years ago), are you still trying to complete that set or have you just said no way.

Many of the 1950s and 1960s sets are still somewhat reasonable.

Which sets are still within reason to collect when you compare them to 5 years ago?

I still laugh when I think about the 1964 Topps Giant set. I can still remember when people were trying to get rid of them for $5 a set.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:22 PM

Historically, I am not a set builder. But in the past two years I have built (although not card by card), several sets, including 1914 Cracker Jack, T3 Turkey Reds, and D304; regarding the CJ set, luckily I already had most of the big boys, acquired a few years ago.

About a year ago I stated building the 1933 Goudey set, but I have 100% slowed on the project due to the costs of Ruth and Gehrig, specifically. There are just other things I would rather spend that kind of money on than 1933 Ruths and the same Gehrig with two different card numbers.

But there are some very doable sets notwithstanding recent price spikes. Many of the E sets from 1909-1911 are small in size and relatively affordable. The T204 set, a gorgeous set in my opinion, is small enough to do and still somewhat economical - and hell, you can get a Walter Johnson rookie for the same price as a lower grade 33 Goudey Ruth. The 33 Delong set is very doable. I guess the point is that some sets, especially the smaller ones, are fun and still somewhat economical. But yes, the bigger ones have become a mighty financial beast often no longer worth conquering
Old 11-03-2023, 09:07 PM
Brian Dalrymple

I've been quietly putting together a higher-grade PSA 1952 Bowman Baseball set. It's my only toe dip into post war vintage. It's a very beautiful set IMO, small and still affordable but challenging to some degree in high grade. 2nd year Mays and Mantle and some real star power in Berra, Feller, Campanella, Spahn, Doby, Musial, etc.
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 11-03-2023, 09:19 PM

I'm not a set guy, but I decided to casually put together a lower/mid-range graded 1933 Tattoo Orbit (R305) set in 2015. I picked up a random good looking one every now and then with a focus on the Cubs (9 of 15 snagged).

I put it on the shelf in 2020 when prices spiked. I had 26 out of 60 in hand. I had some of the HOF'rs, but I didn't have any of the heavy hitters...no Foxx, Hornsby, or Dizzy.

I sold off or traded all but 3 in 2022 because prices got insane and I had hadn't added any to my collection (aside from an upgrade) for a couple years anyway.

Weighing the potential cost of the 34 I still needed, especially Foxx/Hornsby/etc...I folded. If I already owned the big cards it may have been a different story.

Last edited by BioCRN; 11-03-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:09 PM
Brian K

T201’s are a great set that you can still snag for a decent price.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:28 AM

I enjoy building sets but slowed down the past few years due to overall price increases in the hobby. I had to pick and choose more what I collect. Basically narrow down my focus with what I collect. Ultimately, I decided quality over quantity and to pick up fewer cards that mean something to me. If prices go down to level I'm comfortable with I'd enjoy getting more aggressive with set building.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:47 AM
Matt G

Default Set Building

I would still consider it set “ish” building, but I have narrowed my focus into just going after the hall of famers in the T206 and 1956 Topps set. That eliminates the “fluff” and cards I care less about.

I was solely focused on T206, but 56 has been a nice change up due to costs being a lot more manageable. I picked up two graded SGC hall of famers yesterday at the Dallas card show for very reasonable prices.

I’m also collecting the 1924 W.D. & H.O. Wills Golf Courses set, which is another fun change of pace.

To summarize- what I’m learning is that collecting is fun no matter if it’s a $500 card or a $5 card. I’m really enjoying the process!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 11-04-2023, 06:17 AM

Not answering your question for which I apologize. Just happy I put together the 1927 E126 set.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I’ve never been a big set collector. I’ve always preferred to stick to player collecting, with a big focus on the all time greats from my favorite team.

However, I have branched out a little to collect some oddball sets from the 50s and 60s. Often it happens because they’re smaller sets, and to pick up one of my favorite players I am forced to pick up a larger lot, which gives me a running start. The good news is that they’re often underloved and so the competition for pieces isn’t quite as fierce.

Some examples include:

53-54 Briggs Meats
1954 Stahl Meyer
1963 Jell-O Complete Boxes
1967 Topps Punch Outs
1968 Bazooka Complete Boxes
1971 Bazooka Numbered
1973 Topps Comics

I do think that part of the fun with these sets is the hunt. They don’t come up often, which means that I can naturally pace myself. Plus this also gives me the option to work on all of them concurrently, since it will likely take years or even decades to finish some of them. Every once in a while I can pick up a piece to push them forward a little bit at a time, without having to worry about my pace.

Luckily for me, a lot of the big names are players that I’m already collecting anyway, so I generally don’t feel like I’m dropping huge sums on players that I don’t care about.

Since these sets are also difficult to complete, I also get to find my zen knowing that I might never get there. And I’m okay with that! The fun is in the journey, not just in getting to the finish line.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-04-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:50 PM

I am a set collector on a type card budget.
Maybe an overstatement but probably more true in 2023 than 2013, say. It’s annoying because I’m close (in numbers) on a numbers of sets - E90, T205 and 1933 Goudey, for instance, but the investment to complete them is way out of my league.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:07 PM
octavio ranzola

One card at a time😳
Old 11-04-2023, 02:29 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
One card at a time😳
What he said.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Brandon Bailey

It has not changed my focus at all just slowed it down. The prices of everything has gone sky high, so just slows down the process.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:40 PM

The only prewar set I've tried to put together was the 1933 Sport Kings, partly because it's only 48 cards. Focused on getting the Ruth first, which was going for about $700-$800 in low grades then. Kept just missing out on auctions and every time I did, I used some of the money to get other cards in the set. Next thing I know, I've got 46/48 and still no Ruth, which by then was going for $1500+. I gave up and spent the past two years selling most of the set to fund a few single cards that I'd rather have. I only kept Cobb and Jimmy Doolittle.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre

Last edited by Rich Falvo; 11-04-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Old habits die hard. As a kid in 1969, when I bought my first pack, I assumed the goal had to be the whole set. That's why they've got numbers, right?

So I am working on every Topps base card 1951 to present (except for the 52 Mantle). My dream as a boy. Living the (pursuit of) the dream and loving it. Getting much closer than I ever thought possible.

It lets me make a little progress on a regular basis.

And I've added the goals (set-building on a more affordable scale) of all Bowmans, getting to 500 in T206, all N172 St Louis Browns and pre-war type cards of Cardinals. Broad-focused collecting, I call it, but set-building at heart. LOL

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2023, 07:17 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Have many collectors on this board stop trying to complete sets in the past few years because the cost of doing so got so ridiculous due to the rapid rise in card prices (especially certain HOFers)?
As primarily a set builder, the answer is yes. I have always liked 1954 Bowman, but when I look at the prices for Mantle, Mays, and Williams I decided to not build the set. I've built 1955, 1956, 1960, 1965, and 1968 through 1979. All of the sets in the gaps have expensive cards, but not three huge ones like '54 Bowman or any of the Topps sets between 1952 and 1954. My plan is to fill in the gaps in what I have completed and pivot to focusing on non-baseball sets that I think have interesting designs.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 11-04-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:54 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I am primarily a set collector as it just makes sense to me....always has. Right before the huge price boom I finished my '56 Topps baseball set and I calculated it cost me just a little over 2 grand to do so. I was able to get my mantle with a discovery of a Trout Heritage rookie I didn't know that was packed away in a box. I had the Trout graded and it came back a SGC 10 which was a very easy flip for my Mantle at literally no cost to me.

Every time I think of starting a new set I stop in my tracks and realize I cannot afford even some of the lesser star cards. Even the sets I am attempting to rebuild from my childhood, '73-'76 Topps baseball are outrageously priced on many of the stars.

I find myself just sitting on the sidelines right now hoping prices come back down to reasonable levels at least for the 70's sets.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:13 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

For example, if you started to put together a 33 Goudey set 20 years ago but figured on picking up the Ruths a little later (rather than 10-15 years ago), are you still trying to complete that set or have you just said no way.

Many of the 1950s and 1960s sets are still somewhat reasonable.

Which sets are still within reason to collect when you compare them to 5 years ago?

I still laugh when I think about the 1964 Topps Giant set. I can still remember when people were trying to get rid of them for $5 a set.
Yes I bought the 1964 Topps standup set for $15.00 in the 1980’s. Since sold years ago before grading lol

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-05-2023, 04:44 PM
Drew W@i$e

It’s tougher but I now limit myself to sets I can complete.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:45 PM
Eric Perry

I'm only actively collecting two sets, although I'll also pick up other cards along the way.

T206 is a set I'll likely never actually complete; however, each and every card is a joy to acquire. So, I'm collecting them without the expectation of putting together a set. Let's leave T206 aside and talk about the other set.

I will complete 1956 Topps Baseball. That's 342 cards, including the two checklists. I'm a little more than halfway there. I've got Mantle, Jackie, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Berra, and Kaline, among others. So, from a cost perspective, I'm even closer to being done.

At the beginning of this journey, I only had the Mantle. Not a bad start, to be sure, but that was only one card. It got me thinking, though. I've got the most expensive card. Why not pick up some other '56 Topps and see where it goes? I started picking up some small lots and a few cheaper singles. Before too long, I had well over 100 cards...but Mantle was still the only major star.

Right at the beginning of the pandemic, I shifted my focus. Rather than "checking off boxes" by buying more commons and minor stars, I decided to go after the HOFers. In the spring of 2020, before the boom, I bought a Jackie Robinson. My next purchases were Berra, Aaron, Koufax, and Mays and Kaline. I've also picked a few other HOFers (like Warren Spahn) along the way.

So, it has been quality over quantity lately. Best decision I've ever made, from a card collecting standpoint. Once I've got the Hall of Famers and checklists, I'll fill in the rest of the set. This is definitely the best way (for me) to build a set.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-05-2023, 07:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey, Matt, me too. For years, I've not bothered with commons.

I am close to the T206 portraits of HOFers (obv. not Wags or Plank and no green Cobb either), just two lower tier guys to go and I am in no hurry.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Fred

I started working on a 1940 Play Ball set about 40+ years ago. I'm down to less than 10 cards (out of 240). I kept telling myself I'd get the Jackson and DiMaggio cards but never did. Now those are the two that are going to be a pain in the rear to find a decent deal on them. I'm going to complete the set because at this point, it just doesn't make sense not to. The set is nice because it has players from earlier eras (Matty, Wagner, Jackson and others) and the current era (at that time).

T201 is probably the easiest set for T-cards and if you would like to have a set that's over a hundred years old. I'll guess that E91 shouldn't be too bad.

One set that's over 50 years old that is easy is the 1969 Deckle Edge set.

Overall, I think set collecting for some of the vintage sets is not economically feasible for a lot of "collectors/hobbyist", these days.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Default T200 Fatima Team Cards

I also have been working on a T200 Fatima team card set over the past 2 years. I love this set as it's only 16 cards and is packed with plenty of HOFers and is like collecting a 250 card set from 1913. And because every thread needs a card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53098873050_0fef5fea1a_o.jpg (203.9 KB, 329 views)
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 11-05-2023, 11:37 PM

I just posted a thread about a set (kinda) that I just finished. Check it out. It might possibly be the least enjoyable 3 minutes of hobby written word you have ever encountered, but who knows, you might be the type to enjoy it.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=342274

russell'srustlersplayingcards 001.jpg

Brian (this is the type of set completion that seems doable for me nowadays)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:30 AM
Michael

I am working on three sets: DeLong, Diamond Stars, Wilson Franks. Delong and Wilson Franks are small and theoretically, I could finish them one day. I am pretty sure I will never finish Diamond Stars, but I have always liked the look of that set and will continue to work on it.

Honestly, sometimes the best thing that can happen is that you start a set and then abandon it. Then you can just sell all the cards you have (maybe keeping a couple of your favorites) and use that money towards something else.

When not working on the sets, I amuse myself with type collecting, cdvs, and cabinets.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 11-06-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm in a phase I get into periodically.
I can't get past T206 commons in VG being almost 100 bucks.
And many of the cards I still need have gotten way out of reach not only prewar, but postwar too. I'm fairly close to a few postwar sets, but there's always that one card....

So I get into my weird and cheap stuff I like from the junkwax era.
And collecting stuff like 49 Leaf virtually by saving scans of the various different varieties.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Justin

I've never been much of a set builder but since my want list is getting too tough or expensive I have started putting mid grade early Topps binder sets together. I've finished 1953 & 1956. Getting close with 57-60. I won't attempt 52.

I think the only pre-war set I've ever completed is DeLong. Have been thinking about E95 only because I already have the Cobb and Wagner. Doubt I'll ever attempt anything larger.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 11-06-2023, 11:27 AM
Jim B.

I was always a set builder but kind of abandoned those pursuits with the recent price increases. I always bought the big cards first and just went on my merry way. Now I pursue more oddball stuff that's still reasonably priced. I still love collecting, it's just that my focus is not on 5 figure cards. Luckily over the last 30 years, I was able to complete T201, T202, T205(no hoblitzel), W517,W553,W554, 33 Goudey(W/ Lajoie), 34 Goudey, 36 Goudey, 38 Goudey, 41 Goudey, 35 Schutter Johnson, 32 US Caramel, 33 Butter Cream, 33 Delong, 33 Eclipse Import, 28 Ruth Candy, 28 Fro Joy Ruth, 21 Schapira Ruth, 51 Connie Mack All Stars, 51 Connie Mack Book, 51 Current All Stars(Need Rizzuto).

My brother mainly focused on T206 and has since completed it at 521(w/Magie)/524!!!!

We have been collecting together since we were kids and baseball cards have always been a big part of our adult lives - and now we share the same love of the hobby with our kids(my son 23, my nephew 30) by all going to shows together.

Last edited by BabyRuth; 11-06-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:42 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don't own a single pre-war card that isn't part of a set or run. It's all about the challenge of completion for me. My brain can't wrap itself around collecting individual cards willy-nilly.

The one piece of advice I like to give is to buy the biggest card first. Then once you have all the HOFers, decide if you want to complete it with the commons. If the answer is yes, the rest will be pretty cheap to do, relatively. And if the answer is no, then selling HOFers is way easier and even potentially lucrative. It's temping to want to start with a big group of commons in order to feel accomplished right out of the gate, but it never ends well for your wallet.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
My brain can't wrap itself around collecting individual cards willy-nilly.
This made me laugh, it's exactly why a single baseball magazine supplement poster has turned into an obsession with completing the "set" and rewriting the catalog.

And how a vg 57 Koufax in a coin show around the corner from the Bayou in DC turned into a complete set about 12 years later.

Etc.

And we aren't alone.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I will complete 1956 Topps Baseball. That's 342 cards, including the two checklists.
Or 544 cards if you want to use the checklist I used...
Old 11-07-2023, 06:49 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
I was always a set builder but kind of abandoned those pursuits with the recent price increases. I always bought the big cards first and just went on my merry way. Now I pursue more oddball stuff that's still reasonably priced. I still love collecting, it's just that my focus is not on 5 figure cards. Luckily over the last 30 years, I was able to complete T201, T202, T205(no hoblitzel), W517,W553,W554, 33 Goudey(W/ Lajoie), 34 Goudey, 36 Goudey, 38 Goudey, 41 Goudey, 35 Schutter Johnson, 32 US Caramel, 33 Butter Cream, 33 Delong, 33 Eclipse Import, 28 Ruth Candy, 28 Fro Joy Ruth, 21 Schapira Ruth, 51 Connie Mack All Stars, 51 Connie Mack Book, 51 Current All Stars(Need Rizzuto).

My brother mainly focused on T206 and has since completed it at 521(w/Magie)/524!!!!

We have been collecting together since we were kids and baseball cards have always been a big part of our adult lives - and now we share the same love of the hobby with our kids(my son 23, my nephew 30) by all going to shows together.

Great work! I, too am a set collector. It just feels unfinished otherwise. Of course, also collect cool and great cards. But unfinished sets gnaw at me….hard to start a new one though with prices as they are. Was thinking 38 Goudey in lesser grades is doable. I certainly am ok with paying for current vintage, but cant find a Joe D that seems worth the prices (yet). Have to start with that….there arent too many large cards in that set, so i wouldnt be adverse to building from below (commons).
Old 11-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Mark

I am a set collector only. Been at it since 1969. Right now I have finished every base Topps set 1951-2023 (except 1952 High numbers), every Bowman set 1948-1955 and every Fleer set 1963 - 1971

I'm running out of projects now as I've even completed every Hostess set, every Kellogg's set, just about every Topps insert set 1964 - 1970 and I'm close to every Post set.

My next pivot will have to be to pre war. I haven't decided which ones. I usually avoid those with too many extremely high dollar cards required (i.e. over $1,000). Still considering my options. Maybe 1934 Goudey, or Goudey 4-in-1

We'll see
Old 11-07-2023, 11:39 AM
Ken McMillan

I am a subset collector. My main focus is prewar Cubs. I have collected a near complete collection of T205 Cubs front backs 149/ 151 and T207 Cubs front/ backs. Also started collecting Jacksonville Florida players.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Set collecting is so much a part of my DNA (but my genes have mutated into other things the last couple of years) that I still shudder whenever I see Steve Foucault's name, because my little self along with my brothers couldn't for the life of us find his frickin' card to finally complete our 1975 set.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:25 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I have Topps 1959-1992 complete sets. Good starter sets in 1956-1958. Spotty before that. I guess I got "set builder fatigue" after completing 1959. I really liked that set and wasn't as enamored with 1958 so I just sort of quit. Cost had something to do with it also, although this was well before 2020. Kids getting older and more costly factored in. But I did love building those sets. It was always about the thrill of the chase for me. I remember finding a big group of '67 high numbers from a local guy whose dad had collected them. Left his place with them sitting raw on the front seat of my car. Couldn't get them in the binder fast enough
Old 11-07-2023, 05:00 PM

Best strip card set in the hobby!

5BF237DC-100F-4B8E-9A47-9144B023C804_1_201_a.jpg
Old 11-07-2023, 05:27 PM

Default t206 hindu brown set

Not really a set builder but, wouldn't mind finishing the t206 brown hindu set.
Probably going to be a lifelong journey with prices going up
Old 11-07-2023, 05:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Not really a set builder, that being said, I did finish an E98 Master, 28/30 on my E94, and embarking on an E100. Sticking with 30 card E-sets seems a little less daunting than some of the larger sets to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-