NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Pretty Cool Mantle and DiMaggio Items

Thought these were pretty neat. Not much of an authenticity question here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12127433_1_x.jpg (52.2 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 12127433_2_x.jpg (31.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 12127433_3_x.jpg (39.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

where did you find that? Pretty nice piece
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Curt

Those are awesome! Very Nice!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
where did you find that? Pretty nice piece
I bought them out of Florida. Thought they were neat, too.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
$teve O.

They are VERY COOL!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
qualitycards

Jon, those are great. I like signed items like personal checks & you're boarding passes moreso then file cards, photos & such.
Brings a more personal side of the signer.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Default JimStinson

Both items VERY nice ! Here's a story to go with your Joe D. Ticket. He was notoriously cheap and when he would negotiate a deal with baseball card show promoters he would insist on flying first class.

Then (smile) he would exchange the first class ticket for coach and pocket the difference. THEN when "MR Coffee" showed up at the airport to catch his flight they would always bump him up to first class anyway...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM

I would have loved to drive slow in the fast lane with Dimaggio behind me.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM
James Wymer

I really like these!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

And typical Mantle, signing in the clean white space for a clear autograph! Awesome!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I bought them out of Florida. Thought they were neat, too.
Did the guy you bought it from get them or resell, I am very interested in the story on the original person got them.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Jon Canfield

Isaac - not quite sure. They came up for auction at a local Florida auction, so I'm not quite sure who originally obtained them.

To add a little more background to the pick-up, years ago as a teenager, I worked with a promoter who had weekly autograph guests (I started running the ticket line at age 10). One day, Enos Slaughter dropped his used boarding pass. I asked him if he minded me keeping it and autographing it for me. He graciously gave it to me and signed it. After that, my "momento" collection was born. Every time a player would make an appearance, I would ask them for their boarding pass and have them autograph it. Sometimes, players would have thrown the boarding pass away by the time I asked (or had otherwise lost it), and they would usually save their return ticket and then mail it to me after the fact. (On a side note, John Mackey had thrown his boarding pass out by the time I asked him. He thought the idea was really cool though. On his trip home, he saved his boarding pass, signed it and mailed it to me. About a month later, another one arrived in the mail. A few months after that, 3 more. This went on for 2 years! Old John Mackey saved a boarding pass for me as often as he remembered!)

All in all, I probably have 30 or 40 signed boarding passes. Everyne from Whitey Ford to Don Mattingly to Clyde Lovellette.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Isaac - not quite sure. They came up for auction at a local Florida auction, so I'm not quite sure who originally obtained them.

To add a little more background to the pick-up, years ago as a teenager, I worked with a promoter who had weekly autograph guests (I started running the ticket line at age 10). One day, Enos Slaughter dropped his used boarding pass. I asked him if he minded me keeping it and autographing it for me. He graciously gave it to me and signed it. After that, my "momento" collection was born. Every time a player would make an appearance, I would ask them for their boarding pass and have them autograph it. Sometimes, players would have thrown the boarding pass away by the time I asked (or had otherwise lost it), and they would usually save their return ticket and then mail it to me after the fact. (On a side note, John Mackey had thrown his boarding pass out by the time I asked him. He thought the idea was really cool though. On his trip home, he saved his boarding pass, signed it and mailed it to me. About a month later, another one arrived in the mail. A few months after that, 3 more. This went on for 2 years! Old John Mackey saved a boarding pass for me as often as he remembered!)

All in all, I probably have 30 or 40 signed boarding passes. Everyne from Whitey Ford to Don Mattingly to Clyde Lovellette.

Thats such a cool idea, shame you can only do this with players on the signing circuit but kudos for that. I bet that Mantle and Dimaggio sold for a pretty penny.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
David M.

That's a neat idea. I have a related item. Several years ago my wife worked at the TWA ticket counter in Palm Springs and got Johnny Bench to sign a TWA ticket folder. I think he was in town for a golf tournament. She didn't know who he was, but she knew he played baseball and that I collected. She grabbed the only item she had at the counter for him to sign. I still have it in my collection.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Jon Canfield

Thanks guys. Some have asked for photos. I unfortunately don't have a lot of them scanned, but here is the Mattingly I have:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (68.7 KB, 44 views)