NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Ryan

Default HOF Autograph Collection

I was just looking through some older posts and saw this thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174962) about those members over the 200 HOF mark. Wow!

I've always collected, but have only been into autographs for a little over 3 years since I finished up college. Now at 26 I have 112 different Hall of Fame players, 80+ on single-signed balls and the rest on index cards and postcards.

I was just wondering how long many of you have been collecting and when you started? I don't know a lot of 26 year old guys that are devoting their free time to vintage baseball memorabilia so I certainly feel like the minority, but I'd love to hear how long you've been at work with your own collections?!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Ron V

Hey Ryan, I'm 25 and also collect vintage memorabilia and autographs. In my free time I'm always looking on here at sports memorabilia or going to shows,auctions,flea markets looking for sports memorabilia. Your right I don't think there are to many of us younger people that enjoy vintage sports memorabilia. It would be cool to see your collection, Ill be glad to share of my collection as well.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I'm 31 years old and began collecting around 11 with some autographs I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away. I reached 202 earlier this year and have recently had to part with a few autographs and currently sit at 180. I have since shifted my collection to more of target players that I enjoy (Clemente, Mantle, Eddie Collins, Ted Williams, etc.)

It's an amazing feeling once you hit 200, so be patient...

Also, don't be afraid to doubt an autograph in your collection...I'm sure I can speak for everyone here when I say we have all been duped at some time or another. Come to the experts here and ask questions, but please participate and add value to the forum.

Happy Collecting!
James
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 12-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

I'm 36 and also have been collecting since I was 11. Started with baseball cards and when I went to shows with my father started to get autographs. He gave me some old autos he had and told me about the players when he grew up and I was hooked. Right now have 106 HOFers autos in my collection, but collect a wide variety of vintage baseball memorabilia.

Last edited by parker1b2; 12-24-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Currently Age 37 and sitting at #204. Up to two years ago, was just focused on IP BBHOF, which was costly for travel, but rewarding as even when I started collecting in 1993, I was always worried about forgeries. In 2001, I received the last of the IP HOF (at the time) with Kirby Puckett. Because of the forgeries, I picked up a signed check here and there but that was it. Two years ago, I came across a Chief Bender autograph program for a price I could not refuse and have been going strong ever since.

My personal advice for vintage collecting, don't rush to make impulse buys, almost every autograph you see will be offered again in one form or another. If not, you probably can't afford in the first place. Wait until you see what you want at a price you can afford. Finally, as others have mentioned, this is a great community with a wealth of knowledge, don't be afraid to use it. I would never have dipped my foot in the vintage autograph pool if not for here.

Meanwhile, I ignored my advice recently and took out a loan to buy #205.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Ryan

Thanks for the responses and advice guys! I've definitely found this to be an incredibly helpful source. I hope to have something up to share my collection soon. Thanks again!

Ryan
Old 12-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Thx for sharing. 40 years old been collecting since age 11.
I collect autos. Cards and star wars. Also big on cuban memorabilia.
Any cool Cuban Baseball memorabilia to share?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:41 PM
N@te

Just turned 30 yrs old last month and I have several vintage autos(probably a couple hundred team signed baseballs) and bball cards, but my main focus is game used bats and jerseys. I have about 750 game used bats with about 85% of those being pre 1980. I have over 200 game worn jerseys but most of those aren't vintage. Most of them range in the 80's and 90's.

I'll have to check my HOF number on those.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Wayne Walker

I am 38 and started collecting in the mid-80s. My dad brought me to some shows, which is where I got my first HOF autographs. Those were mostly on 8x10s with a few baseballs thrown into the mix. I put it all away while in high school and college, and a few years after leaving school I went to work as a baseball editor at Topps. That was fun but got old after a couple of years, so I moved to Europe for a few years, and then came back to the US to get a graduate degree. That was 7 years ago now.

I had a lot of stuff from when I worked at Topps that I didn't really want, so I went to a number of message boards and starting doing some trading. I had no interest in football, basketball, or hockey stuff, so when somebody wanted that I would ask them what baseball they had, and I started focusing on HOFers. You want my Jaromir Jagr autograph? What baseball HOFers do you have for trade? I enjoyed watching my total grow, and it became a bit of an obsession. My father is still into the sport and the hobby, and I have gotten my father-in-law into it a bit, which has helped my collection tremendously.

With the three managers who are to be inducted next year, my total number of different HOF members is at 236, and number 237 is in the mail...

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I am delightfully surprised how young collectors are here, as I thought I was one of the youngest. Excited to see what Wayne's latest acquisition is as there are not many he has left. Unfortunately 205 won't arrive for me until next year , but is worth it (to me).
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Ron V

Here are some pics from my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8898.jpg (74.6 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5125.jpg (72.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5666.jpg (75.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7689.jpg (74.1 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Ron V

Hall of Fame ball case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4068.jpg (74.8 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
Just turned 30 yrs old last month and I have several vintage autos(probably a couple hundred team signed baseballs) and bball cards, but my main focus is game used bats and jerseys. I have about 750 game used bats with about 85% of those being pre 1980. I have over 200 game worn jerseys but most of those aren't vintage. Most of them range in the 80's and 90's.

I'll have to check my HOF number on those.
Wow! 750 game used bats and 200 jerseys...that sounds like an amazing collection. I love collecting both as well but have narrowed down to just Blue Jays (a couple of HOFers there) and 19th century (non pro) bats.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Wow! 750 game used bats and 200 jerseys...that sounds like an amazing collection. I love collecting both as well but have narrowed down to just Blue Jays (a couple of HOFers there) and 19th century (non pro) bats.
Thanks. I used to find a lot of joy buying gamers that were more common guys, sometimes even being rare, and it's really about quality, not quantity. But I do have some pricey game used bats too- Clemente x2, Jim Bottomley, Ross Youngs x2, 1954 Aparicio, Uecker, etc, and lots of other HOF bats from the 70's-90's.

The jerseys are so so- 3 Randy Johnson's, 6 Pudges, Gossage, 2 Edgar's, etc

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Hey Ryan,

I just turned 27 and have been strictly collecting HOF autographed "rookie" cards for about 7 years now, and just got over 100 different signed examples.

There are unreal collections on here, and I hope mine can come close to theirs.

Shameless plug, But here's my site hofautorookies.com

Regards,

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Ryan

Very cool collection, Brent! You have some great items. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM
John Smithwick

Great collections all and I appreciate the chance to see them. Personally, when I got back into autographs a year or so ago, I dug out my old inventory and discovered I had over 100 different baseball HOF autos. Most are what you would expect from maybe 20 years ago: Mize, Terry, Williams, Mantle, Wilhelm, Ford, Marichal, etc. What I'm missing are those HOF members since as well as (surprise, surprise) the oldies. I did buy a PSA Cobb last spring which was my big purchase for the year. I probably now have maybe 130 or so.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Michael

Default collection

I started collecting in person in the 1960's at hotels in NYC maybe 1965-8 then stopped till 2002- buy quite a bit from reputable auction houses. I do not have my list with me as I am gone from home for the winter but am probably close to 220. It is at the point that occasionally guys come up I need but except for Turkey Stearns they all go for $2000+ and I am unwilling to go that high. I do have some rare ones like Hanlon, Anson and maybe an Andy Cooper. I realized though that I prefer to get each guy on a card or more than one card especially different vintage cards tho not necessarily rookies like Jason and Brent. Just picked up a Hilton Smith on a 1975 Laughlin.
One day I will get around to posting them on internet. I may have some extra Spalding, Dreyfuss etc that I will part with next year. If I do probably Jim Stinson will get them as he has others of mine
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I started collecting in person in the 1960's at hotels in NYC maybe 1965-8 then stopped till 2002- buy quite a bit from reputable auction houses. I do not have my list with me as I am gone from home for the winter but am probably close to 220. It is at the point that occasionally guys come up I need but except for Turkey Stearns they all go for $2000+ and I am unwilling to go that high. I do have some rare ones like Hanlon, Anson and maybe an Andy Cooper. I realized though that I prefer to get each guy on a card or more than one card especially different vintage cards tho not necessarily rookies like Jason and Brent. Just picked up a Hilton Smith on a 1975 Laughlin.
One day I will get around to posting them on internet. I may have some extra Spalding, Dreyfuss etc that I will part with next year. If I do probably Jim Stinson will get them as he has others of mine
Oh man, if you decide to let those rarities go, please give some of us a shot at them before they go Jim's way!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Charlie

+1
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Sounds like some collection, would love to see it
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschisler View Post
I was just looking through some older posts and saw this thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174962) about those members over the 200 HOF mark. Wow!

I've always collected, but have only been into autographs for a little over 3 years since I finished up college. Now at 26 I have 112 different Hall of Fame players, 80+ on single-signed balls and the rest on index cards and postcards.

I was just wondering how long many of you have been collecting and when you started? I don't know a lot of 26 year old guys that are devoting their free time to vintage baseball memorabilia so I certainly feel like the minority, but I'd love to hear how long you've been at work with your own collections?!

Happy Holidays!
I'm 34 and have been working on my HOF collection about 5 years. At times it has not been my top priority in my collection as I do collect many other things. I currently sit at 199 (thanks to the 3 new managers). Hope to chip away at a few names in '14. Thanks for sharing your photos Eastonfalcon...really like the stairwell.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
I was going after that Smith but it went way higher than I was comfortable with. That thing has to be unique.

Tom C
Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Michael

Default Hilton Smith

I thought the Smith was a real steal for under $600
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
I thought the Smith was a real steal for under $600
I did not know how much the media would add to the value. The uniqueness of the Laughlin card made the valuation tough and I just wasn't comfortable making the leap. I definitely wanted it though.

Tom C
Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Shale Levine

When Collecting hall of fame autographs does it count if some of them are on team balls. I have right now 40 single signed hall of fame balls then, 20 or so pictures but I have at least 20 on multiple signed balls.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

A signature's a signature. I think it is all based on preference. My HOF collection is in every medium...gpc, index, ball, photo, bat, etc.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
When Collecting hall of fame autographs does it count if some of them are on team balls. I have right now 40 single signed hall of fame balls then, 20 or so pictures but I have at least 20 on multiple signed balls.
To echo jgmp, you can count however you like. I know a signature in any form would count for my collection, including from a team ball.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I just listed an Eddie Collins contract over in the BST section if he is needed for your HOF collection. Feel free to make an offer....

Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM
J@son.K

I've been collecting since 1982 or so when I was 10 or 11. Although, there were many years in between where I was MIA, I would say the past 5 years is when I started really shelling out my hard earned money on autograph memorabilia. I also got burned with buying some items from the big crackdown era in the late '90s (Operation Bullpen), which may be the reason why I lost interest in autograph collecting for many years.

I always felt that it was useless for me to hunt down all HOF signatures and just collect the players I admire. Plus, there are too many HOFers that I wouldn't care to have in my collection anyways.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM

I'm 30 now but started in 2005 when I got into pack buying...only did that for 6 months and had probably 10 HOF'ers. Then started back up in 2008...with the 3 Managers, I'm at I think ~222 +80 or so future HOF'ers IMO? I have to update my collection site, but have just been too busy.....

wonder how many more are gonna make it this week...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default "Only" 125...

I've been collecting for over 25 years but mostly focused on getting Hall of Fame autographs on Perez Steele PCs...most of my HOF autographs are on 3x5s and balls with a few being on 8x10s and cards. Hoping I can add to my 3x5 collection in 2014...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Tags
hof collection