NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Scott S

Default Tom Brady private signing prices - WOW!

I know there have been some recent discussions about high prices for autograph signings, but have there been any higher prices than those for this upcoming Tom Brady private signing?

$600 - $750 for an autograph depending on the item - that's just insane!!

https://tristarproductions.3dcartsto...ng_c_1136.html
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM

What an a-hole.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
What an a-hole.

that would be an additional $169 for inscriptions less than 20 letters

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Scott R

A few months ago Jordan had a private signing and it started at $1,200.00 for small items and up $1,800.00 for a jersey or ball.....INSANE
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Richard Simon

So, according to Tri Star, 10 tom Brady signed pictures are equal in "value" to a decent Babe Ruth single signed baseball.
SICK.
Talk about price gouging.
I guess Brady's wife is tired of prancing down the runway.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Richard Simon

Let us see who here can come up with the funniest inscription on a Tom Brady autograph item.
Remember IT HAS TO BE 12 LETTERS OR LESS, we don't want Mr Brady to get writers cramp from writing 13 or 14 letters.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I guess Brady's wife is tired of prancing down the runway.
Doesnt she make about 10x what he does? SICK

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM

My insciption would be:

Pee Wee Herman

Exactly 12 letters.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

not to be a contrarian, but i see in-person squiggly autographs (from golf appearances) of gretzky rookie card selling for 1k+ and jordan signed rookie with price tags at 4k+...so somebody is making money off their autographs. i'm fine with athletes charging whatever amount they want, it's up to me whether i'm gonna pay for it.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM

I see your point but don't you think sports fans have given athletes enough? Michael Jordan and Tom Brady might be living anonymous lives making minimum wage somewhere rather than the immortal sports legends fans have allowed them to become. Shouldn't you, I don't know, give back and make yourself more accessible? If you want to have a private signing so you don't have to be surrounded by a crowd I completely understand. If you're Michael Jordan with infinite endorsements, why do you need another $1,200 to write your name? All we're asking athletes to do is be reasonable.

I feel like athletes have this mentality that they're the talented ones so of course they're entitled to the money and fame and fans are entitled to nothing but entertainment. But the worlds most talented ping pong player isn't making anything. The reason is because he doesn't have any fans. Maybe we are important after all.

Last edited by packs; 11-09-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Brock

Quote:
Let us see who here can come up with the funniest inscription on a Tom Brady autograph item.
Remember IT HAS TO BE 12 LETTERS OR LESS, we don't want Mr Brady to get writers cramp from writing 13 or 14 letters.
P Manning is #1
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i'm not speaking for brady...but jordan signs for free every year at his golf charity event, and all his friends like gretzky, barkley, lemieux, etc. they do give back, and these "fans" would hound them at every hole and put out 50 cards/jersey/8x10s/balls for them to sign...then turn around and submit the stuff to psa/dna and then up on ebay. some athletes are going as far as not signing their rookie cards anymore, and i don't blame them.

as far as i'm concerned they don't owe the fans anything. they're the very best at what they do, they make their bosses alot of money and got paid for that service. and nobody turns down money, if there's a demand for your signature at $1000, why should you settle for $100 and leave money on the table? we're not communist russia.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
So, according to Tri Star, 10 tom Brady signed pictures are equal in "value" to a decent Babe Ruth single signed baseball.
SICK.
I often use this type of comparative perspective myself. Do I get a common as dirt Derek Jeter signature through a Steiner signing or use the same amount of cash to buy two Harry Trumans, a Ronald Reagan or an Ed White?

No brainer.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM

I don't understand how you can say athletes don't owe fans anything. Their careers are predicated on fans being at the games to allow them to play. Plus their whole attitude is ignorant. The more you sign, the less your signature is worth. Remember when ball players used to thank fans writing them letters for remembering them? Do you think they felt like they didn't owe the fans anything?

Last edited by packs; 11-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Hank Thomas

Supply and demand, simple as that. Last time I looked, that's how things worked in this country. Nobody's holding a gun to the head of those who line up to pay. I'm a Democrat, but it bothered me that Romney go so much grief just for figuring out how to make a lot of money legally. I was much more interested in what he had done with it, and how much taxes he had paid on it. I hope Brady and other rich people do wonderful things with their fortunes to help people that are suffering, but they're under no obligation to. And if I'm Brady or Jordan, and I learn that dealers are taking my $200 autographs and selling them for $500, then I'm immediately raising it to $500. How stupid would I be not to?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM

You have millions of dollars. Why are you concerned with someone making $300 one time?

Last edited by packs; 11-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't understand how you can say athletes don't owe fans anything. Their careers are predicated on fans being at the games to allow them to play. Plus their whole attitude is ignorant. The more you sign, the less your signature is worth. Remember when ball players used to thank fans writing them letters for remembering them? Do you think they felt like they didn't owe the fans anything?
+1
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

This is why forgers make money. No one out there can afford to pay that kind of price.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

For that price, Gisele better give me a handy...And he should acknowledge this activity in the inscription..

I know that's extremely low brow. But that price seems insane...

Last edited by novakjr; 11-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
as far as i'm concerned they don't owe the fans anything. they're the very best at what they do, they make their bosses alot of money and got paid for that service.
They owe the fans everything. Where do you suppose, in the final analysis , that money they earn for themselves and their bosses comes from?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
They owe the fans everything. Where do you suppose, in the final analysis , that money they earn for themselves and their bosses comes from?
I agree completely...Realistically speaking, the players essentially work for the fans, via the owners..
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Default Tom Brady

My buddy just got a couple of these photos signed up...I wonder if Tom would sign them.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
My buddy just got a couple of these photos signed up...I wonder if Tom would sign them.

You could have Brady sign it "I'm not mad bro".
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
You could have Brady sign it "I'm not mad bro".
Yeah

"No, no, not really. Have you met my wife?"
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Jake

The dumb hipsters that marched on Wall Street should do a march on Foxborough.

Occupy Gilette
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

sports nowaday is a business, you can distill it down to players/fans relationship but it's not that simple. you don't pay for that seat, someone else will....or they move to another city if enough fans don't show up. does bill gates owe me anything because i've supported his crappy OS the last 20 years? will bill clinton drop his 6fig appearance fee to talk at my school because we californians supported him?

does brady owe the "fans" who heckle his wife after a bad game? and he does sign plenty for fans who show up when he make appearances (he does choose to usually sign the cheapest items). it does come down to supply and demand. yes the $600+ is extremely ridiculous. i would never pay that, but there are people out there willing to apparently. no big thing. if collectors/investors out there are willing to shell out 10k for a stephen strasburg or mike trout refractor, good for them!

Last edited by chaddurbin; 11-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Every cent--every single one--a pro athlete makes comes directly or indirectly from the fans. Period.

Nuff Ced.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Every cent--every single one--a pro athlete makes comes directly or indirectly from the fans. Period.

Nuff Ced.
you can say that about anything: la lakers, ne patriots, samsung, sony, down to my mom's restaurant...doesn't mean she gotta babysit for her favorite customer.

and we're losing sight of the main argument, tom brady and his people can charge whatever amount they want. and we can decide if we want to pay that amount. the market will correct itself.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 11-09-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

That's true.

Doesn't mean he ain't one hell of a pig, though.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Yeah

"No, no, not really. Have you met my wife?"
I'd prefer a

"Nah Son"
T-- B------

That's pretty much what I'd be paying for anyway.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Marty

"yep we cheated"

Tom Brady
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
P Manning is #1

I am 9-4 vs Gomer
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"ripped u off"
"thanks 4 the $"
"I do a model"

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
For that price, Gisele better give me a handy...And he should acknowledge this activity in the inscription..

I know that's extremely low brow. But that price seems insane...
Excellent post, David!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
You have millions of dollars. Why are you concerned with someone making $300 one time?
Same reason you don't work for 2/5 of what you can make.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Default JimStinson

Thats funny ! Reminds me of the old card show days and I am standing at a card dealers table looking in his display case and he's got a Jose Canseco card priced at $75.00 and right next to it is a beautiful Tobacco card of Chief Bender for the same price , I asked him why would they be priced the same even though the Bender card is almost 100 years old and he just shrugged ...I dunno

So now fast forward 2012.....................I can get a Tom Brady autograph for $750.00 or a Jackie Robinson for the same price....mmmmm, the more things change the more they stay the same
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Thats funny ! Reminds me of the old card show days and I am standing at a card dealers table looking in his display case and he's got a Jose Canseco card priced at $75.00 and right next to it is a beautiful Tobacco card of Chief Bender for the same price , I asked him why would they be priced the same even though the Bender card is almost 100 years old and he just shrugged ...I dunno

So now fast forward 2012.....................I can get a Tom Brady autograph for $750.00 or a Jackie Robinson for the same price....mmmmm, the more things change the more they stay the same
Are you trying to attempt to find rational thinking in this offering of Tom Brady's/Tristar?
--
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

"U Like My Uggs"
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Same reason you don't work for 2/5 of what you can make.
I don't know what you're getting at. You're talking about millionaires looking at memorabilia sales as taking money out of their pocket, I think? Fans put the money in their pocket in the first place. The old argument rings true either way. The more you sign, the less your signature is worth. Then no one will be making anything and balance is restored, like it once was.

Last edited by packs; 11-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Richard Simon

And if you add personalization at $229 you devalue the piece to the point where you almost cannot sell it. And you are screwed if your name is a long one because then his salutation will consist of "Hi Harold Steingrubber."
Is TriStar actually gonna pay someone to count the letters in this BS thing?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Are you trying to attempt to find rational thinking in this offering of Tom Brady's/Tristar?
There is NOTHING rational in it all all, its a multi millionaire who's finally said yes to signing autographs for awhile and then ...opps the price is too high.
Let me suggest asking for autographs from people that have made a REAL contribution to the world like NOBEL PRIZE winners etc. Most of them never get autograph requests and are glad to sign for free. If you absolutely , positively HAVE to have the autograph of this guy..Pony up and PAY it , otherwise change the CHANNEL
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I don't know what you're getting at. You're talking about millionaires looking at memorabilia sales as taking money out of their pocket, I think? Fans put the money in their pocket in the first place. The old argument rings true either way. The more you sign, the less your signature is worth. Then no one will be making anything and balance is restored, like it once was.
This is a BUSINESS for these guys. What business prices its product at less than it thinks the market will bear? What's so hard to understand about that? The "balance" you're looking for is already there. Those who want to pay his price will do so, those who don't won't.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM

An autograph for a fan should not be "a product." It should be a little "thank you for making my life so wonderful."

As it once was.

As far as I'm concerned, any player who sells his autograph for anything other than charity can go f#*k himself.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Default JimStinson

The players "Obligation" is to deliver touchdown passes....He has no obligation to kiss anyones arse or to produce free autographs on demand. As a "fan" if you would like something for "free" send a letter to "COORS" or Budweiser or whomever sponsers the game and tell them since you like their product you DESERVE a free sample .....and if you don;t like their answer CHANGE TEAMS or stop watching...simple stuff.
If you don;t watch the Patriots they would not be able to pay him and then he would be standing by the side of the road with a sign that reads "WILL THROW TOUCHDOWN PASSES FOR FOOD".....come on man
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 PM

You "come on man," Jim. An autograph should not be--and for most of the time that people have collected autographs wasn't--a "product." It was given away gratis for various reasons--a thank you, or perhaps it just made the giver happy to make a fan--most often a child--happy.

Perhaps you have lost sight of where most of the autographs you sell originally came from.

(If all those old-time ballplayers and boxers only sold their autographs, there wouldn't be enough "stock" in existence today for you to make a living. Be glad they never considered autographs "product.")

Last edited by David Atkatz; 11-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Default JimStinson

My FRIEND...when I did private signings I ALWAYS paid the person to sign.. Always. I did not tell them they owed it to their fans
In fact I offered Actor MARLON BRANDO ........ONE MILLION , YES ONE MILLION dollars to do a private signing and he refused. Not an idle offer was done through an attorney and all that and he said NO......
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
The players "Obligation" is to deliver touchdown passes....He has no obligation to kiss anyones arse or to produce free autographs on demand. As a "fan" if you would like something for "free" send a letter to "COORS" or Budweiser or whomever sponsers the game and tell them since you like their product you DESERVE a free sample .....and if you don;t like their answer CHANGE TEAMS or stop watching...simple stuff.
If you don;t watch the Patriots they would not be able to pay him and then he would be standing by the side of the road with a sign that reads "WILL THROW TOUCHDOWN PASSES FOR FOOD".....come on man
Jim,

Don't give into the David's rants. Just ignore him like you would the homeless man at the urinal beside you.

If you make eye contact, he'll think it's okay to engage you.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

That's fine, Jim. (My friend, too.) But I would argue that a good portion of your income comes from the sale of the autographs of athletes, actors, and historical persons who NEVER sold an autograph, never held a private signing, and were probably dead before you were born.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Hank Thomas

Instead of focusing on autographs, why don't we ask players to play for a lot less (say a max of $100,000 a year) so the ticket prices could be a lot lower? That would strike most people as absurd, wouldn't it? It's the same for autographs, endorsements, and all the other ways players make money. Why should they take less than the market will give them? It doesn't make any sense. And when autographs were free, how many fans had a chance to get one? Now all you have to do is fork over the price, and you can meet your guy and then frame that baby and put it on your office wall for you and everyone else to enjoy. I'm just not getting the resistance here. Every show I do, I see fans lining up excitedly to get their favorites' autograph. Most of them seem absolutely thrilled to be able to do so, and they've paid it so clearly they're OK with the cost to be able to do that. I sure wish my plumber would go back to the good old days and take care of my problems for $10 an hour. Or how about a free unclogging once in a while? He's done really well by me and his other customers. Why won't he just give something back to us for all that? The fact is he doesn't owe me anything, and neither does Tom Brady.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfern023 View Post
Jim,

Don't give into the David's rants. Just ignore him like you would the homeless man at the urinal beside you.

If you make eye contact, he'll think it's okay to engage you.
Why don't you mind your own business? For your information, I've been a long-time customer of Jim's, and would consider him a friend. (As I hope he does, me.)
Friends can argue--happens all the time.
(Although it would be a lot more fun if we were face-to-face over a pizza and a few beers.)