NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Default 1952 Topps Decisions Decisions...

So I'm working on the '52 set and right now I'm torn between two types of cards in the set. Given my budget this month, I can afford either a nice, centered PSA 6 high series card probably Burgess, Brodowski or Kucab, OR a VERY, VERY nice PSA 8 example from the very common 2nd printing of the 1st series, cards 81-131.

Seems either has pros and cons...the PSA 8 would seem to be a better potential resale, but it is an awfully common one, and so the return should I sell might not be so good. A high number is a high number, but PSA 6 could likewise be limiting.

What are your opinions? Which type of card should be next to join my set?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Travis W.

a common it may be but a PSA 8 '52 is a PSA 8 '52 and a very nice card. I think I'd go after that one...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Brandon Bailey

I would go with the PSA 8. I always go with the highest grade I can possibly afford, and would prefer not to have to upgrade it down the road, especially a common, but it also depends on the overall condition of the set you are putting together? Also I personally feel the 52 high numbers are significantly Over-rated. If you have an endless money supply, you can always find 52 high numbers, especially in lower grades. However, there are some high numbersfrom 61, 66, 67, that are far more difficult to find than the 52 high numbers.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Richard A.

To me, it all comes down to how this card will fit with the rest of your set. If it is your intention to build the highest grade set you can afford [and you expect to buy more 7s and 8s as you go], go for the 8. On the other hand, if the look of the 6 fits with the look of your set, go for the 6.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Hi All,

thanks so much for the replies. To give more details, at this point I'm shooting for PSA 6 as a baseline. I've an eye to start a registry set, though ultimately I buy the card, not the plastic. I'm about centering, colour, alignment, and while i'd surely buy a PSA 7 or 8 if the price were right, I'd take a PSA 5 with nice centering and eye appeal over an off centered 7 any day.
But my budget most of the time allows for cards in the 5 or 6 range, and I'm looking forward to upgrading the set in the future...I don't want completing this set to be the end, but only the beginning, with the lifetime goal of building a master set, and then, depending on how successful I am in life, go after building one of the best sets.

But in the meantime, PSA 6 is the baseline, so getting a high card in PSA 6 would fit in better...but I'm also trying to be cognizant of where my money is best spent. I do this hobby because I love it, but I'm not about to throw away money either, and resale value and potential return on my initial investment are things I always consider, which was why I was contemplating if a common card in PSA 8 might be a better expenditure than a rare, high number PSA 6.

thanks again!

BR
Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
ivan kammerman

Default 52 topps

if you are going slow and steady, think about this.. buy time you finish, there will be hundreds more slabbed and graded.. if you pay high for an 8 now, the pop report probably will have more within the year lowering the prices of what you may pay now... buy the bettter looking 5/6's... but hey, what do i know, i cannot even balance my own checkbook and I'm 87