NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Default Carl Horner 1903 National League Composite Photograph

Anyone seen it anywhere or know where I can find a reasonably clear image of one? (Large enough to at least read the legend at the bottom). All I seem to be able to locate images of are the American League version:

Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Anyone seen it anywhere? Lance, don't you know that's Leon's most prized possession?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have one on the wall behind me. It's the only piece I have on the wall. What would you like to know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornercomposite2.jpg (73.7 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Anyone seen it anywhere? Lance, don't you know that's Leon's most prized possession?
Not sure about most prized but I do like it. and as said, it's the only thing on my office wall.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Leon, I thought I remembered you having something of the like (very nice cornerstone piece, which I don't have to tell you). I'm actually looking for the National League version though, with Pulliam in the center. Specifically, looking for the list of names in the legend at the bottom, but would love to see the whole piece as well.

And just to be clear, this is for informational purposes only, as I could never afford to purchase such a thing, even if it could be pried out of its owner's cold dead hands
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Phil Garry

I believe that there was one on e-bay a couple of years ago but it seemed to have been produced a few years later, likely not in 1903 even though it pictured composites from that year. I think it was "jonstats" that had it listed for auction.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm not sure a National League one exists, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I posted this picture last year. It is a picture of the composite that I found in a group of newspaper archive photos I purchased. It does not depict the names at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 NL composite 001.jpg (76.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Barry Sloate

Tom- do you know if any original display pieces exist of the NL?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

No idea if this composite survives. May well have been taken apart at some point since no one seems to have seen it intact. This is an older picture and if the same vintage as the other pictures I found it with, it would have been taken in the 1950s.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Leon, are the individual portraits in your AL composite numbered to coincide with the names on the legend at the bottom?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Leon, are the individual portraits in your AL composite numbered to coincide with the names on the legend at the bottom?
Yes they are....and sorry, I thought it was the AL one you were speaking of since you showed it, but your title does say NL ...
LL
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes they are....and sorry, I thought it was the AL one you were speaking of since you showed it, but your title does say NL ...
LL
Leon, not to worry. If I were you, I'd trot that baby out every time I even heard Horner's name mentioned, regardless of the thread's title

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm not sure a National League one exists, but I could be wrong.
Barry, you could very well be correct that none of the actual NL composites have survived to present day. I was not able to find record of one. That doesn't mean that one doesn't exist just because my quick search didn't turn up any clues, but I would think if one had ever come up in any online auction, multiple instances of the image would turn up in a google search. I didn't see any NL composite images though, just AL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I posted this picture last year. It is a picture of the composite that I found in a group of newspaper archive photos I purchased. It does not depict the names at the bottom.
Tom, That is very similar to something I turned up last night as I was going through some old purchases I hadn't catalogued, which is what sparked the question. A couple of years ago, I was able to purchase a number of negatives that originated from the Burke/Brace archive, and among them was an 8x10 copy negative that appears to have been shot from an original 1903 National League composite by Carl Horner. It may actually be the original negative that your photo was produced from (I haven't compared them closely to determine).

I am considering cleaning up the scanned image and having some larger prints made, but would want to include something resembling the original legend at the bottom with all of the names. It turns out that the same portraits were used for the individual team composites in the 1904 Spalding Guide, so matching up player ID's will be easier than I originally thought, but I would also like to match the "look" of the original both in terms of typeface/lettering and any odd name abbreviations or nicknames that might have been used.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 AM
Mark

Lance - I have a very hi-res of the 1902 AL Horner composite - you could copy that style if you want.

IDs for your negative should not be a problem.