NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Graig Kreindler

Default Calling all historians...

...so, I guess that means all of you?

I'm hoping I might be able to enlist your wonderful brains for a bit of help. I'm trying to put together a list of boroughs, cities, towns, hamlets, villages and even states that have adopted professional athletes as their 'favorite sons'. A prime example, there's Christy Mathewson Day in Factoryville, PA, honoring the great man who grew up there. If I'm not mistaken, the city has a marvelous statue of him in one of their parks.

And another, if memory serves me, Commerce High School now has a Mickey Mantle statue on its grounds.

Are there any others that you guys can think of? It doesn't have to be a star or well-known player either. In fact, I would probably be more interested in the fellas who most people have never heard of.

Any help y'all can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

Graig
Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Jim Murphy

Eddie Collins and Eddie Collins Jr were honored in Lansdowne, PA where Jr was born and HOF COllins lived during his A's playing days

http://articles.philly.com/1992-01-2...ackson-scandal

There is also a marker on the street where Jimmy Foxx lived in Drexel Hill, PA and he also has a statue and a day in Sudlersville, Md where he was born

Last edited by murphusa; 11-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Chris Wood

Hockey OK?

Wayne Gretzky - Brantford, Ontario

http://news.sportsinteraction.com/sp...antford-95459/
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
And.rew Whi.te

A town that is not very far from where I live is Watertown, Wisconsin which is the home of none other that Fred Merkle. Watertown does have a Fred Merkle field as well as a small monument to the towns famous son.

The inscription is as follows:

This memorial is
dedicated to the life of
FRED C. MERKLE

Born in Watertown, WI, Dec. 29, 1888. His father, Ernst Merkle, was a school teacher at Immanuel Lutheran School in Watertown at the time of Fred's birth. Fred made hismajor league debut on 9-21-1907. His outstanding talent, intelligence, and dedication to the game of baseball spanned 2 decades, having been a member of 6 World Series teams: 1911, 1912, 1913, 1916, 1918 and 1926. He was a potent line-drive hitter, agile first baseman and a speedster on the basepaths. He played for the New York Giants, Brooklym Dodgers, Chicago Cubs and New York Yankees.

Donated in 2005 by
The Merkle Family, David J. Stalker & Archie Monuments

I thought the placement of the monument could have been better

Now to be fair, the monument is on the grounds of the "Octagon House" in Watertown that does get a decent amount of traffic...but still.

I know GraceCollector has some photos of my in-laws hometown, Marengo, Illinois where Carl Lundgren, who played for the Cubs and is featured on a t206 card (among others) grew up and is buried. He has a field named after him there and interestingly enought, that same field is one that Cap Anson played an exibtion game on as well. There is a historic marker at the field for Lundgren and is GraceCollector doesnt post his photo I will be heading to Marengo next weekend and can take one if needed.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Bruce Esser

Aurora Nebraska has Clarence Mitchell Field.

It is currently used by the local american legion club.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

HOF Nolan Ryan is the favorite son of Alvin, TX. Additionally, he is the major benefactor of Alvin Community College. When he signs for $$, this is who benefits. Ryan has been honored by the city of Alvin many times and the Nolan Ryan museum called The Nolan Ryan Center is located on the campus of the college.

Johnny Vander Meer is the pride of Midland Park, NJ.
Vandy was honored by Midland Park with his own day in 1938 and is still prominently featured in their local museum. Vandy never lost touch with his roots and visited his friends and family there until he passed away in 1997.

HOF Bob Feller hailed from Van Meter, IA. Early in his career he was referred to as "The Heater from Van Meter". The Bob Feller Museum is located in Van Meter and is a major draw for tourists that pass through Iowa.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-08-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Bruce Esser

Wahoo Nebraska has Sam Crawford field. It is near the old business district. The town just put a lot of money into the field to improve its appearance.

On the plaque inside the stadium four Saunders County baseball legends in addition to Sam Crawford are honored.

Lee Wiegert from Ithaca Nebraska was a Pioneer Nite League pitcher who in 1947 was invited to Dodgers spring training and repeated in 1948 with the Yankees.

Les Munns from Wahoo, pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1934 and 1935.

Joe Kuncl from Prague Nebraska was a Pioneer Nite League Pitcher who played professional minor league ball from 1947=1956.

Just a few miles west of Wahoo is Weston Nebraska, home of Bob Cerv. Bob Cerv played in 5 world series with the Yankees and his major league career stretched from 1951-1959. He was named to the All Star American League team in 1958 and started the all star game. He was also fourth in the voting for the most valuable player award in 1958, ahead of Mickey Mantle who finished fifth that year.

Last edited by tachyonbb; 11-07-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Bruce Esser

Tilden Nebraska has Richie Ashburn Field

It is a small field with minimal stands and a dirt infield.

Last edited by tachyonbb; 11-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Bruce Esser

Lincoln Nebraska built Landis Field in the early 20's. It was named after Kennesaw Mountain Landis. They thought that he might attend a game or two if they named the field after him. The field is no more but Dan Bretta has a number of pictures of the field. On another note I discovered that one of the employees at the school where I work is his grand daughter.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM

The hamlet of Strykersville, New York notes on the "Welcome to Strykersville" sign on the main road into town (such as it is -- strictly rural) that it's "Home of Jim Konstanty." Does that count?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Bruce Esser

Werner Park in Papillion Nebraska, home of the AAA Omaha Storm Chasers has a statue of Bob Gibson

Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

One of the times I was in Poland I made sure I visited Kutno, the town where Stan Musial Field is, home of little league baseball in Eastern Europe. Stan's father was from the area and Kutno adapted him. The locals told me he's visited there and donated the money for the ball field which is part of a larger baseball complex. I gotta tell you, it was strange to talk baseball in Polish!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,

There is Joe Louis' fist in downtown Detroit. (If they haven't sold it)...lol

There was a nice huge mural of Steve Yzerman, which they have now removed, but it gave his birth year, then stated "adopted by Detroit, 1983".

Here is the Louis Fist. I am sure there are better photos though.

Attachment 120905

Last edited by billyb; 11-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Dan Bretta

St Paul, Nebraska celebrates Grover Cleveland Alexander Days every July...they also have a baseball museum there.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Graig Kreindler

Have I mentioned how much you guys rule? Thank you so much for all of these answers, they're gonna be super helpful for a future endeavor.

If y'all know any more and have the time, keep 'em coming!

Thanks again,

Graig
Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Jonathan Sterling

As a proud New Jersey resident Birthplace of Baseball happy to share some of the many towns here that celebrate their favorite sons who have prospered in Baseball's major leagues. Hall of Famer Joe Medwick is from about 5 miles away, Carteret NJ. there is a small memorial in Carteret park. Perth Amboy was home to the O'Brian brothers famous for their 1954 Topps card which the share, a sign in town commemorates this. My Favorite is in Paterson NJ home town to Lou Costello where downtown is a statue of him with Baseball garb with the words of Who's on first memorialized on the front.
I have visited Factoryville Pa and Keystone college on a day when the play a game of "Town Ball" and celebrate Christy Mathewson,lots of fun

J
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Well, he wasn't born and didn't live there, but the town of Mauch Chunk, PA thought so much of Jim Thorpe, that they changed the name of the town to Jim Thorpe in memory of him, and Thorpe's body is indeed there - in a mausoleum in a roadside park. I read recently that there is now a movement underway to try to move Thorpe's body back to his home state of Oklahoma. If that happens, wonder if the town will change its name again. Maybe they could honor the memory of Gene Mauch.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Tim Keefe Square, Cambridge Mass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Adam B

Ki Ki Cuyler's Sports bar in Harrisvllle Michigan is a sports bar that honors the Hall of Famer and is located at the very house that he grew up in. Harrisville is a very small Northern Michigan town near Lake Huron and no doubt still very proud of its association with one of baseball's greats from the first half of the last century.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Royston, GA is proud of Ty Cobb.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Brandon

I know Meeker, OK is where Carl Hubbell grew up. They have a museum dedicated to him and a few years back they renamed Main St. to Carl Hubbell Blvd. I have a mini bat somewhere that celebrates the 50th anniversary of Hubbells pitching performance in the '34 all star game and it is from Meeker.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM

Boyceville, WI - Andy Pafko. They have Andy Pafko Athletic Park.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 PM
pariah1107

Ellensburg, WA - Dean Nicholson Blvd. is the main drag to Leo Nicholson Pavilion at CWU. Dean played firstbase for the semi-pro Ellensburg Cowboys & Leo started the local Little League. They have the most wins by a father/son duo in NCAA basketball history at the same university (more than 1,100 at CWU). Here they are together discussing strategy for the cameras 1950....

Last edited by pariah1107; 11-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Connie Mack Drive and Connie Mack Field in East Brookfield, MA, his birthplace. Right on Rte 9 in the center of town

Jack Barry Square, Shrewsbury, MA and Jack Barry Field, Worcester, MA - member of Connie Mack's $100,000 infield. Long time College of the Holy Cross baseball coach in Worcester.

Since this should not be just about baseball I am including ones from my favorite sports, the Olympics.

James Brendan Connolly - the winner of the first gold medal in the modern Olymics, 1896 in Athens. Statue of him landing the hop, step and jump now called the triple jump in Joe Moakley Park on Columbus Ave., South Boston near the football stadium.

Arthur Longsjo - the only American athlete to compete in the Winter (Speedskating) and Summer (Cycling) Olympics in the same year, 1956. Died in a car crash in 1958. Monument to him on Main St, Fitchburg, MA.

Johnny Kelley - 2 time winner of the Boston Marathon and two time Olympian. Statue of him as a young man and older man near Walnut St. and Commonwealth Ave., Newton, MA.

Jesse Owens - Jesse Owens Memorial Park in Moulton, Alabama. There is a replica of his birthplace and a 14 1/2 foot tall statue of him. Just down the road is Helen Keller's house.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos - statue of their 'Silent Gesture', the 1968 Olympic protest is at San Jose State University in California.

Paul Anderson - 1956 Olympic weighlifting gold medalist and generally acknowledged as the World's Strongest Man of all time - monument to him outside the Georgia World Congress Center near the Georgia Dome and across from CNN. There is also the Paul Anderson Memorial Park in Toccoa, GA.

Statue of Jack Kelly, Sr. father of Princess Grace (Kelly), Olympic gold medalist and one of the greatest American rowers of all time, located on the Schuykill River in Philadelphia.

Last edited by Michael B; 11-07-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 AM

Truxton, New York...population 1133...honors its native son John J McGraw
Old 11-08-2013, 03:47 AM
Keith O'Leary

Columbia PA just put up a memorial for James Tilden Sheckard, "The greatest ball player in the world".

Last edited by vwtdi; 11-08-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Bruce Esser

Omaha has Bob Gibson Blvd. It is a short stretch of road near Rosenblatt Stadium. The stadium has been torn down.

There is also a Bob Boozer Dr. in Omaha after the NBA basketball player.

Grand Island Nebraska has a Tom Osborne Expressway, named after the football coach/athletic director.

Indianapolis has a rather unique sculpture honoring John Wooden. It shows John kneeling with five sets of legs around him. My daughter thought it was creepy. There is plaque also.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wbur/8162113515/

Last edited by tachyonbb; 11-08-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Charles

Eddie Plank has a plaque and is celebrated in Gettysburg, PA
Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Jon Canfield

The tiny town of Nelliston, NY has a street named Dahlen Street. On it, still stands the house that Bill Dahlen lived in for a long time. No plaque, but the street was named for him.

I also believe Utica, NY celebrated George Burns (the ball player) Day and has a plaque to him. Pennants can be found from the celebration.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Remembered another one:

Hamilton New York has a "Hooks Wiltse Field."

I found this rather strange photo of the monument on Flickr

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Atlantic City, NJ is the home to John Henry "Pop" Lloyd stadium and the Pop Lloyd Committee which has an annual awards banquet to honor various people.
www.popsballyard.org.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Just wanted to thank everybody again for contributing to this thread. All of your posts were incredibly helpful.

I REALLY appreciate it all.

Graig
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
John €ffenheim

Default Addie Joss

Watertown WI

And Juneau, WI

Last edited by effe; 11-11-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM

The Wilmington Blue Rocks of the Carolina League play at Judy Johnson Field. The HOF'er grew up in Wilmington and the stadium has a nice statue of him out front.

I know of a couple streets for major leaguers. Jack Martin Blvd in Brick, NJ was named after the 1912-14 player that lived in town and Doc Cramer Blvd in Manahawkin, NJ is right by where he spent his last years.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I know GraceCollector has some photos of my in-laws hometown, Marengo, Illinois where Carl Lundgren, who played for the Cubs and is featured on a t206 card (among others) grew up and is buried. He has a field named after him there and interestingly enought, that same field is one that Cap Anson played an exibtion game on as well. There is a historic marker at the field for Lundgren and is GraceCollector doesnt post his photo I will be heading to Marengo next weekend and can take one if needed.
Sorry, didn't see this thread until today. Here is the Carl Lundgren Historical Marker in Marengo, IL. Carl was inducted into the Marengo HS Hall of Fame this year (it's initial class of inductees).

In the photo, I'm holding this postcard which showed what the site I'm standing on looked like in 1906.