NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default PSA 10 Gem Mint I don't understand

Posted By: Kevin 

I have a question for the board that I would love hear opinions about.

What exactly is Gem Mint? If a mint card has no flaws, the definition of mint in pretty much every collecting category, then how can a card be better than that?

The only conclusion that I can come to is that Gem Mint 10 is a made up grade to sucker inventors into paying a huge premium. Any thoughts?

Old 05-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

I would never pay the huge money for a 10. I can't tell much difference between and 8 and a 9, much less a 10. I care about condition, but don't really care if a card happens to have a flaw or two....remember these are ball players

Old 05-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

When I first heard someone use the term "Gem Mint," I thought he was making a joke.

Simularly, when I first heard some say that a company was grading/sealing beanie babies I thought that was a joke too.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

edited

Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

to make it more interesting to collect post-1980 cards. Basically, they all look alike other than centering - anything less than mint is worth a penny in most cases...but put one of those "one of 10 gazillion" beauties in a psa 10 holder and watch it's "value" grow!

How many of you would trust a vintage card in a psa 10 holder?

Old 05-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Micheal, I wasn't saying that 'Gem Mint' is not a legitimate term, just detailing my initial impression.

Though he is not always taken seriously, I always thought Alan Rosen's definition of Mint was interesting. Rosen's definition (at the time at least) of Mint was that the card was 'as if it had just come from a pack.' As cards don't always come from packs perfectly centered, Rosen didn't have to have perfect centering. If one uses his definition of Mint, there will be different degrees or qualities of Mint.

Personally, I like the word 'perfect.' Perfect is perfect and anything less isn't perfect. To me, perfect has a sublime quality.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I don't understand why there is a grade above
GEM MINT aka BGS 10 pristine, SGC 100 or even worse
SCD 11 !!! That means that a gem mint card can
be flawed.....ah well.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Is there really such a thing as SCD11? If so, where did they get the inspiration to have an 11 on a 1-10 grading scale? Perhaps they have seen the movie Spinal Tap?

Brian

Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Administrator

In the end, I will let the details of Mint and Gem Mint and Pristine be tackled by those who buy PSA9 or PSA10 cards. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with buying a Gem Mint card, but it's not an area that I aspire to. Perhaps I'm the one who's all wet for rolling his eyes upong hearing someone brag about trying to get a a 1976 Topps set completely PSA or SGC graded, but I don't think so.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

David,

I was just teasing about my first comment -- the one about being too hasty.

In general, I think some grading companies have adopted "better than Gem Mint" and "Pristine" grades because a PSA 10 isn't really, well, "Gem Mint." And as long as (modern) cards are flawed, there will always be a higher technical grade. Figuratively speaking, I think PSA set its own "bar" a bit too low.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Administrator

How many of you would trust a vintage card in a psa 10 holder?

That's a rhetorical question, right?

Old 05-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Brian:

To answer your specific question, I believe that SCD graded one card an SCD 11 -- it was a Jason Giambi rookie card. Not sure what issue that is -- something like 1992 Topps Traded, perhaps?

At any rate, you take a ridiculous grade and mix it in with an "interesting" auctioneer -- and you have the one and only SCD 11 being auctioned off some months back (a year, perhaps?) by none other than Alan Rosen "Mr. Mint"

I think that there is a general misperception at GEM MINT equating to PERFECT. I have never seen a perfect baseball card -- vintage or modern. If you read the grading standards, I believe, for PSA, SGC and BGS, there are always some allowances allowed making "GEM MINT" something less than perfect.

Nonetheless -- I will also say that the greater you magnify a card (Whether through loupe or microscope), the larger you make it, the easier it is to point out its (numerous) flaws.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

That is why there needs to be a stand for magnification like in the gem industry. 10x is more than adequate. Beyond that, the flaw is so minute that it doesn't really matter since you can't see it with the najed eye and beyond intial purchace, who really looks at a card with a magnifying glass anyway?

Jay