NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default Question from a Grading Novice

Posted By: Paul

I never get cards graded, but I have a valuable card that I'd like to sell on ebay, and I assume I will get more money for it if it's graded. I avoided PSA because I didn't want to pay their initiation fee. I went to SGC's website and discovered that, because of the card's value, I am required to use their premium one-day service and pay $50. On top of that, I'm required to pay almost the same amount for shipping and insurance.

Am I missing something here, or do people really pay about $100 to grade their cards? Is another reputable company cheaper? Can I just tell them the card is worthless and save lots of money? Thanks.

Paul

Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If I have my cards graded, I use SGC.

Considering you've already looked at PSA and SGC, have you considered GAI?

http://www.globalauthentication.net

Brian

Old 09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian Anderson

Yes people do spend $100 to get a card graded. I have never submitted to SGC, but I am pretty sure that they abide by the same rules as PSA. That being said you don't have to spend the $50 to get the card graded because the value of the submitted card which determines what level you can submit is based on the declared value by you. by that I mean you may have a card that you think is a 5 which lists or sells for $1000, but you can submit it with a declared value of $499 just so you can send in at a less expensive grading level. You are assuming a little risk by stating the value as less than it may be worth, but if you are balking at the high grading fees its an option. Also if you are just looking to get the most for your card PSA as a rule brings significantly higher prices on most cards. You might think about spending the $100 to sign up for PSA and you get six free submissions. I am not trying advertise for PSA. SGC and PSA are equal in my eyes as the top services out there when you considered pros and cons of grading services. Just curious but what card are you wanting to get graded and what kind of shape is it in? If you are more specific (a scan would be most helpful) you will get much better advise here and may end up saving yourself some dough especially since you have never sent cards in. I can tell you I wish I would have had some advice from the folks here when I first submitted cards as I made some costly rookie mistakes. Specifically sending in cards I had no idea were trimmed. Anyway I hope this helps.

D

Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

If you're going to sell a card that is that expensive, the grading will more than pay for itself, especially if you are planning on selling it on EBay or in one of the major auctions. If you'd rather sell it raw, why not try selling it in the B/S/T with a guarantee that it will grade?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Paul, I forgot to mention Greg's point. The winners of raw vintage cards on the bay that grade almost always have a big bargain on their hands especially if it is better than a 5.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

"the bay?" I don't know why I found that funny.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Thank you all for the advice. I will check out GAI, though I'm a little concerned that it may bring less money if graded by them. I hadn't realized that the graders basically try to charge you a percentage of the card's value, and I'm just a little surprised. PSA even has a special message on their website letting you know how important it is to fess up the full value of your cards.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Never heard it refered to as "the Bay"? Sorry must have forgot what forum I was on. Maybe it is funny I guess if you never heard it refered to in that way. I guess I need to remember which one is the salad fork. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it.

D

Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

...wish I knew what card Paul is selling...

Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

why people call it "the bay." They have to type two more letters and a space!

Old 09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm like Julie (scary thought, lol) when I hear "the bay" I immediately think SF Bay. Definately a function of having lived in the city for a number of years.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

It depends on what the card is. Why don't you post a scan for us to see? BTW, if you are only wanting to sell the card, GAI will likely get you the worst resale value.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 09-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stewart

Thank you again. I've decided to consign the card to Barry Sloate for his Nov. 17th auction. It is an E97 Black & White Joe Kelley.